Bushnell Park

MadVlad

So, on Father's Day, i ask my daughter what she'd like to do, and she asks to go to the park in the City. So, we head out to Bushnell park. Carousel is open, Dad's are half price. This strikes me as crappy because many carousel's charge only for the kids, adults go for free with the kids, but whatever. the problem was, for the crown jewel in the Hartford park system, Bushnell Park looks like crap. The water was brown, and had trash and weeds floating in it. The playground was relatively clean, but they never run the water feature, which would be great on hot days. The swings were old and unpainted, looked like crap, and had trash all over. There was broken glass in spots, trash in others, and most of the trash cans had no bags.... and trash lying right next to them. I'm sorry, but Hartford should have this park pristine 24/7/365, even if the other parks have to suffer. i know the economy sucks, and nobody has money for anything, but gimme a break, your signature park at the foot of the Capitol shouldn't look like a trash heap...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't agree more. I haven't really been down to the park since the skating rink was up in the winter but this is something the city really needs to work on. There need to be points of emphasis in the city where no matter what it takes they will be clean and attractive at pretty much all times. Bushnell Park may be number one on that list.

So, on Father's Day, i ask my daughter what she'd like to do, and she asks to go to the park in the City. So, we head out to Bushnell park. Carousel is open, Dad's are half price. This strikes me as crappy because many carousel's charge only for the kids, adults go for free with the kids, but whatever. the problem was, for the crown jewel in the Hartford park system, Bushnell Park looks like crap. The water was brown, and had trash and weeds floating in it. The playground was relatively clean, but they never run the water feature, which would be great on hot days. The swings were old and unpainted, looked like crap, and had trash all over. There was broken glass in spots, trash in others, and most of the trash cans had no bags.... and trash lying right next to them. I'm sorry, but Hartford should have this park pristine 24/7/365, even if the other parks have to suffer. i know the economy sucks, and nobody has money for anything, but gimme a break, your signature park at the foot of the Capitol shouldn't look like a trash heap...

what a shame.

I agree with everything you both say on this one. it is the center of the center of the city and the heart of the state.... I mean our own damn capital building sits in it, and it should be a showcase at ALL times.

that being said, I know the iquilt plans include the re working of the park, and well that might be part of the issue. I know the plan is to refurbish the park no matter if Iquilt happens or not, so maybe they have defered maintenance knowing they are about to dump money into it.... who knows?

not an excuse though

Archived