Let's Beautify Hartford's Main Street

Bill Mocarsky

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/editorials/hc-ed-streetscape-20110621,0,2009924.story

Streetscape improvements would be cool. But the street level of virtually every building built along the west side since the late 60's is bland and uninviting. These structures include MDC, Bushnell Plaza, the Gold Building and One Corporate Center.

What could be done?

Off the top of my head, I would replace the glass in the bottom two levels of the gold building with something more transparent.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This type of improvement is long overdue. It should be a relatively straight forward project. As always, I would prefer the city get it's economic house in order as a first priority.

The biggest problem on the west side of Main is the vacant BOA building. The city should provide strong incentives to make this building more attractive. There needs to be a parking solution, the location is badly hurt by the lack of a parking facility. There is space for a multi-story lot right behind the building. Lack of parking was one of the major reason that MetLife left City Place. This is an issue that must be addressed by the city.

Archived