China Palace in Kmart plaza

mediamongrel

If anyone hasn't noticed by now, the China Palace near the Kmart across from the Asheville Mall is now history. Looks like something else is being built, but not sure what it is. Anyone have any clue on what is going in there? My best guess would be an expanded bus stop waiting area, as this is a fairly busy bus stop during the day.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't surprise me. It was never busy when I drove by it, plus Kmart is dying, and so is the Sears wing of the Asheville Mall, as well as the store itself.

Do you know what's going on with the Dick's store? Since you can't really see it from 240, I couldn't completely tell but it looked like the store was half demolished.

Doesn't surprise me. It was never busy when I drove by it, plus Kmart is dying, and so is the Sears wing of the Asheville Mall, as well as the store itself.

Do you know what's going on with the Dick's store? Since you can't really see it from 240, I couldn't completely tell but it looked like the store was half demolished.

I didn't know anything about the Dick's being closed/demolished, but I know their prices are sky high. As far as the Kmart plaza goes, I always thought that if they leveled that whole plaza, it would be a perfect location for an IKEA. Plus, their doesn't really need to be a Kmart there anyway, since Sears is right across the street and the Patton Avenue Kmart is less than 4 miles west on 240.

I didn't know anything about the Dick's being closed/demolished, but I know their prices are sky high. As far as the Kmart plaza goes, I always thought that if they leveled that whole plaza, it would be a perfect location for an IKEA. Plus, their doesn't really need to be a Kmart there anyway, since Sears is right across the street and the Patton Avenue Kmart is less than 4 miles west on 240.

Apparently It's not closed since the store is still on the website. Also, I saw a lot of new positions open at that store, so maybe they are completely expanding & renovating the interior and exterior of the store. I never really go there, so I don't really care, but I don't want to see another vacant store in that shopping center. As much as I like Ikea, there's no way one's coming to Asheville. Over the next ten years It wouldn't surprise me if they opened in Birmingham, Greenville, Nashville, and Raleigh in the south. But I can't really see them locating elsewhere.

If anyone hasn't noticed by now, the China Palace near the Kmart across from the Asheville Mall is now history. Looks like something else is being built, but not sure what it is. Anyone have any clue on what is going in there? My best guess would be an expanded bus stop waiting area, as this is a fairly busy bus stop during the day.

The sign in front of the construction site says it's going to be "Center on Tunnel Road" or some such. I think it's going to be a retail center.

The East Buffet building on Tunnel Road was also demolished recently and I read that a Gorilla Car Wash is going there.

The sign in front of the construction site says it's going to be "Center on Tunnel Road" or some such. I think it's going to be a retail center.

The East Buffet building on Tunnel Road was also demolished recently and I read that a Gorilla Car Wash is going there.

Probably wishful thinking but I wanted Bahama Breeze to locate there. There's absolutely no parking there, though.

What do you mean a "retail center?" It already is a retail center. In reference to Kmart, I found out via Sears Holdings public record tax info. that the Tunnel Rd. Kmart is the lowest performing of the four Kmarts in the area. (the other 3 being Skyland, Biltmore Mall, and Patton Avenue)

There's only 5 tenants left there Tuesday Morning, Dollar Store, Guadalahara, Hot Dog King, and radio shack.

What do you mean a "retail center?" It already is a retail center. In reference to Kmart, I found out via Sears Holdings public record tax info. that the Tunnel Rd. Kmart is the lowest performing of the four Kmarts in the area. (the other 3 being Skyland, Biltmore Mall, and Patton Avenue)

There's only 5 tenants left there Tuesday Morning, Dollar Store, Guadalahara, Hot Dog King, and radio shack.

Well, I did not make the sign and don't own the property so I don't know what they mean. I'm just telling you what the sign says. You'd probably have to go there yourself, find the contact information, and then call them up to find out what they mean.

In the actual building that houses the KMart, they are 100% occupied, I believe. And there is another business there - a gym or workout center in the former automotive department at the south end of Kmart. I'm not sure how many of the other perimeter spots opposite the Dollar Tree and Radio Shack are occupied. I think most are.

• 1 month later...

Archived