50 Elm Renovation

HartfordHope

http://dennishouse.wordpress.com/.

Not a big building.. but defiantely a neat building with a good location.

50 Elm Street is over a 100 years old and has been in gradual decline in recent years. A few years back it looked like it simply needed a few new shutters and some paint, but lately it is been an awful ambassador for Hartford to passersby. Situated on the edge of the busy Pulaski Circle with great views of the skyline and Bushnell Park, it sadly featured boarded up windows and broken glass.

The new owners declined our request for an interview, but according to the City of Hartford’s Chief Operating Officer David Panagore, Aneka and Judy Young of Avon have big plans for 50 Elm and the resources to see the project through. Panagore told me the building will be the new headquarters for the AC Young Company, which operates several McDonald’s in the city and the suburbs. Panagore also said there are plans for a cafe at 50 Elm and a residential component. According to a spokesperson for McDonald’s, it will not be home to one of their fast food restaurants.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be so interested to see the sale price of this building when the property site is opdated.

It was listed at something like 350K, and let me tell ya it needs WORK!

it was the closest "affordable" property to downtown. If the city had more small lots or whatever there would be a chance for people like this couple, or heck for me to make a difference, unfortunately everything has become super blocks

• 1 month later...

so, 2 live and work spaces on the upper floors and a small resturant on the ground floor.

http://www.courant.com/business/real-estate/hc-elm-street-building-20110805,0,1609784.story

theres interesting stuff in there including maybe the building next door might see some action. but who knows, its all positive to have these older small buildings brought back from the brink and put to good use bringing more residents downtown (even if just a handful) and re-activating the street.

• 4 months later...

This will be discussed at the 1-1-12 P&Z meeting.

as "an existing mixed use building with apartments and a restaurant with full liquor lisc. and live music."

I have seen some people working on parts of the building too, so I think its great she is moving forward with this.

They will also be presenting IQuilt.

• 10 months later...

Nice!

I keep seeing small changes when I drive down the whitehead into downtown every few weeks.  so It is good to see that it is fully now underway.

The small projects are essential to a cities health.  Its such a shame that most small properties in Hartford have been demolished and combined into superblocks. 

There is very little opportunity for grass roots revitalization at this point.  Hopefully a few of the major projects will bring enough critical mass and life to the edges of downtown therefore making certain neighborhoods viable for revitalization. 

While Asylum Hill might be the best candidate infrastructure wise, it has a huge barrier in I84, the train tracks and the fields of desolation that are parking lots and such. 

Charter oak has potential due to the development at Front Street, and the work at Colt being anchors to the area.  Go further and we have the only actual middle class urban street near downtown.  Charter Oak Place.    The townhomes being built on Wyllis/Lisbon and the rebuilt Dutch point have already gone a long way in laying the ground work. 

If Capewell can be fixed up and maybe some of its property developed into additional housing, this part of town has the best chance of becoming a middle class neighborhood with owner occupiers and small scale investments.

we shall see.

I think its all still a ways away.

• 1 year later...

50 Elm is essentially complete - the windows are from the building next door.  The restaurant seems to be the only piece still in the works at 50 elm, but just a couple weeks ago they had help wanted signs and they have seats and a tv in there already.  

One of the apartments upstairs is rented and the other is listed still: http://www.bhhsneproperties.com/ct-homes.aspx/52-elm-hartford-ct-06106-g674281-3352891#.U6odbK2wISE

They just started working on that new building - (42 Elm maybe?) - in the last few weeks.

Thanks for posting that.   I was indeed doing the head up butt thing...

drove by again today and realized it was the building next door.

also when I looked back at the CRDA... it mentions 36 ELM

so, the money granted was for 36 Elm which is in full on construction and as you said 50 is looking done.

I suppose it is for the best that I was watching the road not the building.

I am even more excited now that these are both being fixed up making the street that much better.  what a great location to be 5-10 years from now. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived