Big Announcements Coming!

MTSUBlueraider86

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basically there are a few lots in Sobro that are slated to be developed. The lots included are the CB Ragland and Tower lots around KVB such as the large Michael Hayes lot where Tony has a Premier Parking location. The Westin, Peabody and others are showing interest with another announcement coming toward the end of the year. One, two, or three hotels could join the Omni to service the new MCC. Nothing of real height. 10-15 stories at most, but anything is better than surface parking lots. With continued growth of the suburbs, including office parks, it is very doubtful if we will ever see an office tower of any significance again ever built in Nashville. I think the Pinnacle may be it for decades to come, but at least we can built hotels, and lots of infill and mid-rises to add more density.

We should see caissons coming out of the ground for the Omni by late fall.

Retail is being discussed, and one or more of the hotels could be boutique brands.

ESU saw the Earl Swenson designs for the Amphitheater on the old thermal site and he said they were pretty inspiring.

Josh Smith sold his Berger Building so one has to wonder if the Federal Courthouse may indeed get built. The Federal Courthouse would definitely spark a resurgence in that part of downtown.

No great revelations, but good news.

BR

I strongly disagree about your assessment of the office market. If anything that section may spring back much quicker than hotels and residential over the next 5 years. And to make a multi-decade prediction about development is kinda silly, especially after what we have seen the last few years. But that is good to hear about the potential hotel development. But with everything in real estate you have to be skeptical until it is built and done.

I'm a little surprised about BR86's comment about office towers. Everywhere I have lived, there has been a boom, than a lull as those built are absorbed. So, I am a little more optimistic about office building in the downtown area. I think there are plenty of companies that would prefer a downtown address.

Uh-oh, looks like BR86 has struck a cord for some of the forumers, tongue.gif. Haha, j/k, anyways this is great news as I was hoping and predicting (silently to myself, I was actually thinking about it a few minutes ago) that the MCC would spur some growth, especially from the hotel sector, which in turn should create, hopefully, a snowball effect for retail, commercial, then residential. However, as a yungin' I have learned my lesson, and will be optimistically hopeful, but not overly. Also, hopefully, this growth area will spur the development of the Medical Mart (MM).

My assessment of future office tower development is a conservative one at best, but with growth of office parks such as the one proposed for the Donelson area, I have my doubts about another 30+ story office tower in downtown any time soon. I think for many people wishful thinking clouds their judgment.

Remember, this is Nashville which has thrived on a suburban office model for 40+ years now and in my opinion, it is not going to change anytime soon. Call me a cynic, but I learned my lesson after Signature Tower, West End Summit, Nashville City Center 2, Ryman Center, The Lionstone Building, and countless others fell through. Remember the Pinnacle happened to be at the right time before the crash.

Unemployment went up .1% today, so the rest of the nation is probably not going to be building any office towers either. If cuts are indeed made by congress in many areas, more will lose their jobs, and then where are they going to work? Not vacant office towers downtown.

I'll keep this thread open as long as there is no cross talk or undo criticism. You can disagree with my assessment, but please keep this civil. I remember what happened when I said May Town Center would not happen, and so far it has not, I was crucified.

Lets disagree with civility and respect.

BR

I'm with Blue Raider. I don't foresee any 30-story or taller office towers in downtown for years. But I do anticipate some 10- to 15-story office building (think SunTrust Plaza). And the hotels we almost certainly will get could spur retail.

WW

'For years' is hardly a daring prediction. The OP said 'for decades' though.

Tim, the hotel was mentioned in another thread. I think it is toward the bottom of the list of threads. Its the 401 Union thread. http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/52581-401-union/

Years, Decades, Centuries, Millenia...who knows? The point was I do not look for us to have another office tower in a long while. Its nothing to over analyze.

BR

With Nashville listed as the # 3 boom-town over the next decade, i would be willing to bet there will be a number of HQ moves to Nashville. A good quality of life and low housing cost with a business friendly environment means a lot. That being said there could be a few good sized office towers built over the next few years.

Archived