Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KCghettoboi

American accents

How come I always hear israeli's with american accents,even some of those in government! Did so many jewish-americans go back to israel, that their kids picked up the accent?...

I gotta tell ya, I don't speak Hebrew, so I wouldn't recognize it. I don't even regonize an Israeli accent in English very well.....

KCghettoboi, i hear ya ive heard a few on tv from Israel that sound like Americans which they probably are ex-pat Americans and probably even Canadians. As for the migrant Israelis i havent heard any that sound American though. A good example would be Hawaiis most famous Israeli "Gilad" he does a lot of those fitness body in motion things. his accent is still very noticeable although he's lived here for a many years.

1671.jpg

I've actually had a chance to meet him once, he's a short snobby little sh*t

i think because in israeli schools english is taught by an american teacher. Same for alot of arabic countries like egypt....

A former Prime Minister of Israel is Benjamin Netanyahu. He speaks perfect english, because he was born and grew up in Philadelphia and moved to Israel after he could speak english.

Another prominent Israeli who's on TV a lot is former Ambassador Dore Gold, who was raised in Connecticut...

Within the same region of the world, King Abdullah of Jordan was educated in the UK, and he speaks with a British accent.

Golda Meir (sp) the Israeli PM in the 1970s--my favorite world leader of all time lol--was raised in Milwaukee if I'm correct.

Golda Meir (sp) the Israeli PM in the 1970s--my favorite world leader of all time lol--was raised in Milwaukee if I'm correct.

True, they named the library at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (UWM) after her. But she was born in Russia, moved to Milwaukee as a child where she grew up and became a teacher, thus the University connection, and then moved to Israel as an adult.