Carolina Panthers

Watching - painfully watching - the WCNC live coverage of this and seeing a few aerial views, I cant help but think how undersized this park is.  I wish the Panthers and city could have worked something out to develop more of a permanent area for special events like this.  The Observer site would have been the best location for something.  When BofA hosts a big game with a "FanFest" closing some streets to set up a stage really doesnt work.  What's the plan for a SuperBowl victory, a parade down Tryon to the park with a bitty little stage or the stadium?  Bearden and First Ward Park are nice and all but they're too small.  When the Hornets reach the NBA Finals is everyone going to fit there.  It's no secret the city wants to host a Super Bowl, but they are lacking resources such as a true gathering spot for a city of a million people.  

Go Panthers! 

Edited by CriticalT

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 0:54 PM, CriticalT said:

Watching - painfully watching - the WCNC live coverage of this and seeing a few aerial views, I cant help but think how undersized this park is.  I wish the Panthers and city could have worked something out to develop more of a permanent area for special events like this.  The Observer site would have been the best location for something.  When BofA hosts a big game with a "FanFest" closing some streets to set up a stage really doesnt work.  What's the plan for a SuperBowl victory, a parade down Tryon to the park with a bitty little stage or the stadium?  Bearden and First Ward Park are nice and all but they're too small.  When the Hornets reach the NBA Finals is everyone going to fit there.  It's no secret the city wants to host a Super Bowl, but they are lacking resources such as a true gathering spot for a city of a million people.  

Go Panthers! 

Here is what LA is getting next to their new stadium and I couldn't agree more that if we are attempting to host a SB, this is what we need. (along with more hotel rooms and infrastructure improvements)   Source: LA Times

LApavilion.png

Edited by UPNoDa

I stand by my opinion that Charlotte will not get a Super Bowl game in the current stadium due to weather. We do not have a covered dome and are not a warm weather winter climate, with too much uncertainty if we will get freezing rain/ rain / snow / cold. This isn't necessarily a bad thing for Charlotte... hosting the Super Bowl does not usually pencil out fiscally, and I'm fine if we don't host it (like most NFL cities). I also don't think we should build a dome as I like being outside.

From 2000 - 2016:

9 games in a covered/dome stadium. 7 games in an uncovered stadium in Florida or California (mild winter weather)

For 2017 Houston's domed NRG Stadium will host the game for a 2nd time (sticking with the dome theme) and in 2018, Minneapolis' new domed US Bank Stadium will host the game (sticking with the dome theme and rewarding teams that build fancy new stadiums that involve public dollars). New York is the ONLY city to have hosted a Super Bowl since 2000 in an uncovered stadium outside of CA and FL, and they had just built a multi-billion dollar stadium and are the largest city in the country. They were willing to roll the dice for the novelty and excitement of hosting the game in our nation's largest city. I'm not sure if they would be willing to roll the dice for Charlotte (and any other city with an uncovered stadium) without making us pay BIG time to renovate the stadium. Denver, Seattle, Chicago, Washington DC, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Kansas City, etc.... we have a lot of company with cities that haven't hosted and probably never will host unless they cover their stadium.

I think it is awesome the Rams will have a pre-game concert venue, but they have 330 acres in a suburban location to fill. This is vastly different than the 33 acres BofA Stadium sits on in Uptown that is quickly being surrounded by urban infill. I'd rather be able to walk to bars and enjoy the vibe of being in the city before the game, vs. a location that will basically be a Disneyland of all things football off the interstate.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

If the Panthers win the Super Bowl and continue being sucessful under Cam Newton, we will turn into the most hated team of all time because of him. (which may not be a bad thing) He is arrogant, cocky and almost out of control. As soon as he does something that makes me say "well, maybe he is a good guy" he turns right around and opens his big yapper. I love the team but not a fan of Cam Newton. He needs to act at least somewhat civil. Anyway. Go Panthers!!!!

19 hours ago, go_vertical said:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/01/us/carolina-panthers-haters/index.html

Here's an article asking why there is so much hate for the Panthers. It says that we are playing the part of the villain in this year's Super Bowl. Love it.

18 hours ago, UPNoDa said:

Here is what LA is getting next to their new stadium and I couldn't agree more that if we are attempting to host a SB, this is what we need. (along with more hotel rooms and infrastructure improvements)   Source: LA Times

LApavilion.png

At some point the Panthers may move their practice facility outside of downtown (they desperately need an indoor practice building to avoid practicing in the snow and rain). That land, while not as central as some might desire, could be a potential site for fan fests etc.

20 minutes ago, mad_park said:

At some point the Panthers may move their practice facility outside of downtown (they desperately need an indoor practice building to avoid practicing in the snow and rain). That land, while not as central as some might desire, could be a potential site for fan fests etc.

or an incredibly good redevelopment site that could, if they built a MLK crossing, be a essential connector between residential 3rd ward and the new third ward.

33 minutes ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

If the Panthers win the Super Bowl and continue being sucessful under Cam Newton, we will turn into the most hated team of all time because of him. (which may not be a bad thing) He is arrogant, cocky and almost out of control. As soon as he does something that makes me say "well, maybe he is a good guy" he turns right around and opens his big yapper. I love the team but not a fan of Cam Newton. He needs to act at least somewhat civil. Anyway. Go Panthers!!!!

Not this again...

Anyway I disagree with the premise that we will be the most hated team. You have every commentator coming around and beginning to enjoy the show, and see it as a symptom of enthusiasm and joy, not arrogance (a misused word for Cam I think). You have most opposing players giving him his props, getting along well after games. That is not the attitude players have towards another who is not "civil".

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

Not this again...

Anyway I disagree with the premise that we will be the most hated team. You have every commentator coming around and beginning to enjoy the show, and see it as a symptom of enthusiasm and joy, not arrogance (a misused word for Cam I think). You have most opposing players giving him his props, getting along well after games. That is not the attitude players have towards another who is not "civil".

The most hated team Mantra is absurd, and down right ignorant. I live in New York City, and everyone I work with LOVES Cam Newton, and they are Giants and Jets Fans. The only people who don't like Cam and the Panthers are old Foagies. 

1 hour ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

No.

• Like 4

Well, like I said it is probably not a bad thing. I am sorry...I just don't like comments like "The panthers were nothing before I got here" that is the exactly what arrogant is. The dude is acts like a spoiled brat.

Just as you have heard people say they love CAM...I have heard people say they hate him. There is no right wrong argument here. It is opinion. So please respect mine.

24 minutes ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

Well, like I said it is probably not a bad thing. I am sorry...I just don't like comments like "The panthers were nothing before I got here" that is the exactly what arrogant is. The dude is acts like a spoiled brat.

Just as you have heard people say they love CAM...I have heard people say they hate him. There is no right wrong argument here. It is opinion. So please respect mine.

Care to share the source for that quote?  I wasn't aware he said that.  Would love to see the context.

• Like 2