Carolina Panthers

6 hours ago, Dale said:

A staggering inability to adjust to Denver's speed on the edge. But the enduring imagery (I'm afraid) will be Cam shrinking away from that loose ball towards the end.

That, and walking off the presser. (Though I initially saw neither, having given up on it at 16-7 and already 4 sacks.)

He finally did something I'd scold him for doing.

If you're going to prance, strut and lark like a teenager when times are good then you have to man up when it all comes crashing down.

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Silicon Dogwoods said:

If you're going to prance, strut and lark like a teenager when times are good then you have to man up when it all comes crashing down.

1000000x yes. This was a pretty pathetic move, however he is only 26 and this is his first trip. He will learn. He will be a new man next year and so will this entire team. Here is where being from Cleveland comes in handy, I am a pro at the "there's always next year" mentality.

44 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

1000000x yes. This was a pretty pathetic move, however he is only 26 and this is his first trip. He will learn. He will be a new man next year and so will this entire team. Here is where being from Cleveland comes in handy, I am a pro at the "there's always next year" mentality.

Yes, just 26. I wince at remembering my 26-year-old self!

But still...

During the 2 week hoopla run-up to the game, I read about Denver's defense and I thought we'd have trouble.

But not this much trouble.

Oh well...always next year!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, grodney said:

If you can't protect the QB and you can't run-block, then in my opinion it doesn't much matter who your QB is or your WR or your RB.  Having said that, the Panthers also picked a bad time for pre-snap penalties, personal fouls, drops, fumbles (Tolbert!), and accidentally thinking a punt returner called fair catch.  Credit to Denver, I suppose, for forcing some of that.  And still scratching my head on that Cotchery (non-)catch.

Anyway, I'll drink to a great season, and I'm ready for 2016 already.  They should be hungry.

Heres my 2 cents. 

• Jericho's ball never hit the ground. It was caught against his side, this has been ruled a catch before, and should have been in this case. This advances the ball to near midfield and takes 7 points off the board. Panthers were beginning to have some momentum. Former head of officiating agreed that this was a catch.

• Talib was off sides on our missed field goal. Should have gotten a second shot from 5 yards closer. 3 points on the board.

• Talib was DRAPED on Teddy on a couple occasions, at least one of which should have resulted in a DPI, which would have given us a 1st instead of a 4th down.

Don't get me wrong, their D-fense showed up lights out. But these things above changed the complexion of the game completely. Give us 10 points back, we are leading the broncos and playing a different style, that favors us better.

Because of Cam Newton and my Charlotte pride this was the first super bowl I really cared about. Reading about him made me want to love him and his effect on the team. I'm seriously bummed, but I have the feeling this is the first chapter in a longer story. Judging on how Cam's history has gone up until now, I think and hope he'll learn a LOT from this season, and integrate it into himself for the seasons to come. He just needs to leave for a while and be around his family.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dale said:

The only problem with "He's young and they'll be back" is ... it's extraordinarily hard to get to the Super Bowl. The Panthers had this one on a platter.

This^.

There are no guarantees in the NFL.  The likes of Dan Marino or Dan Fouts never won a title, you have to take the opportunity when it comes.  We got to play an offense in the Super Bowl that basically had a placeholder QB and anemic running game and couldn't capitalize.  We absolutely collapsed on ourselves.  It SUCKS.

All that BS out of the way, this just gives us the chance to get our perfect season + Super Bowl in 2016-2017.

19-0.

• Like 2

Man, what a bummer last night. Tough game to lose and end the season with. This game was for the taking for the Panthers. Between their inability to block Denver's front seven, the penalties and dropped balls (in very crucial situations) they dug their own grave. To me the two most crucial points in the game were the incomplete pass to Cotchery that should have been a catch (2 plays later Denver got that fumble TD) and the first drive to start the second half that resulted in a missed FG. I really felt like that was there opportunity to establish momentum in the 2nd half. Had a chance for a TD there that would have given them the lead. Aside from what's already been mentioned, what really frustrated me was Shula's inability to adjust the offense in the 2nd half. They made no adjustments it seemed. I felt like in the prior playoff games they had far more creativity in their game plan. Denver even said after the game that they read their offense like a book. Everything they did was already on film. No wrinkles from Shula at all... And then he basically threw Cam and the offense under the bus after the game.

Yeah, but a lot of the really older ones, harper cotchery, allen, tillman are not exactly key cogs and can be replaced. Cotchery had reliable hands but is getting old for a receiver thats never really been an all time great. I would love to see Boston over harper and allen is a backup if he doesnt retire. There are a few early 30s like Olsen, Kalil, Oher, Johnson that still have a lot of gas in the tank for a few more seasons. 

On Monday, February 8, 2016 at 10:13 AM, Jayvee said:

staff is back next year, core players are back next year (& most are young), we have cap space to pay Norman and sign more. This team is going to be dominant for a long time.

^This

The Panthers made too many mental mistakes and got outplayed by Denver's defense.  The Broncos basically shut down Olsen most of the game; and when Brown went down, there wasn't any saving the passing game.  Norman dropped two interceptions.  Cam sailed a few passes to open receivers early in the game.  But give credit where credit is due, there was a lot of pressure riding on those two with all of the hype and they delivered through most of the game.

Sure there were a few bad calls that changed the momentum in the game, but there were few if any new plays at all.  There weren't even that many outside runs.  I mean, what happened to running the reverse like we have in every game this year?  Sure it's only good for one play, but it almost always nets a first down.  And where was the read-option?  We barely ever used it.  It was like Shula wanted to prove that Cam is a pocket passer 24/7.

This game highlighted our O-Line's outside protection flaws that have somehow been masked all year (except for the second ATL game.)  I think it was maybe that we hadn't played a strong front seven all year that had half the talent of Denver.  In fact, I bet Denver's defense watched the Atlanta game tape on repeat.  It looked like the same game at times.

But the Panthers went 15-1 in the regular season, convincingly made it to the Super Bowl, had ten players make the pro-bowl, MVP/OPTY awards, 8 all-pros, and they stacked up more than 100yds rushing in every game this season.  Add in Kelvin and maybe a new receiver in the draft/trade and the passing game will be much more on point.  Improve the OLine and they'll be that much more improved.  Even with the injuries, the secondary held up well through the playoffs.  Given his emotion, I don't see Norman wanting to leave Carolina or pursuing another team just to get a bigger check. 

If the Panthers stay healthy next year, they will be back, and they will be ready.