Carolina Panthers

38 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I kicked the dozen people at my house for the Super Bowl out at the end of the third quarter, swore at them, and called them all bad luck. I commiserate with this man.

Perused the Panthers boards and I don't get the impression that fans are getting it. It's Cam is bad/good or "You're all just a bunch of trolls and losers!"

* Enough about Cam already. He is what he is, a supremely-talented 26-year old man with the emotional maturity of a sixteen-year old.

* True, he had a bad game, but his team didn't help him very much.

* More than anything, it was an epic coaching failure. Cam was heavily pressured on 21 of his 41 dropbacks and beaten senseless beginning to end. Where was the coaching ? Where were the adjustments ? It staggers the imagination.

• Like 1

Yeah we were all pretty dumbfounded that Shula decided to try a run up the middle EVERY 1st down, something that had very, very little success throughout the game and probably spurred the Broncos' D's "read them like a book" comment. He was still doing it halfway through the 4th quarter when we needed to start getting creative. Cam did better than most any QB could have under that kind of pressure, having a few running successes and slipping out of at least one sack. 

And yeah, I'm going to be salty about that no catch call for a long time. I think it was also ridiculous that they didn't call Manning down before the incomplete pass when it was fairly obvious, and forced Rivera to challenge again to reverse the call (admittedly only saving 7 yards, hardly a huge play). It was an easy reversal but used up our last challenge since the first wasn't successful. 

15 minutes ago, RiverwoodCLT said:

Ah yes, going to Denver.  This could be good.  The rematch (presumably without Peyton).  Monday nighter?  

Spacing of those 3 trips (St Louis, Seattle, Oakland) to the west coast (plus Denver) will be interesting.

Watching the super bowl, horrors of John Fox came pouring back! Running up the middle on every first down and changing nothing up...that's what FOX did every game. It was horribly coached and the refs sucked. All this added to Denver;s defensive line killing us. The Panthers defense was just as good...but ran out of gas!

^^^I really like Jared Allen.  I was hoping he'd play for at least one more season with us.

Also Roman Harper and Jerricho Cotchery are now in free agency.  I think having Jerricho Cotchery around for another year would be good especially since this upcoming season for all intents and purposes will be Kelvin Benjamin's sophomore season.  Wasn't  he brought into the team to have a veteran presence in the locker room after Smitty moved to the Ravens?At a minimum he can serve as a placeholder until Smitty comes back in 2017...You read it here first.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 5:24 PM, Dale said:

Perused the Panthers boards and I don't get the impression that fans are getting it. It's Cam is bad/good or "You're all just a bunch of trolls and losers!"

* Enough about Cam already. He is what he is, a supremely-talented 26-year old man with the emotional maturity of a sixteen-year old.

* True, he had a bad game, but his team didn't help him very much.

* More than anything, it was an epic coaching failure. Cam was heavily pressured on 21 of his 41 dropbacks and beaten senseless beginning to end. Where was the coaching ? Where were the adjustments ? It staggers the imagination.

The bad comes with the good. I have always said that he was a lucky player this year, but maybe the truth was shown at the last game and maybe he has the emotional maturity of a challenged four year old? All the good for the year was gone at the Super Bowl. How about that fumble at the end that he watched. LOL. Well, I hope he was humbled and stops acting like an idiot next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Today, Panthers have released DE Charles Johnson and DL Dwan Edwards. This freed up $12.7M in cap room. Now I totally see them going defensive lineman in the first round of the draft. Heck, they might use their first few picks on some unless they can find a bargain in free agency. 

• 1 month later...

Please don't have a go at me, I'm a new football fan.

So I was reading about BoA Stadium and all the upgrades that the City is paying for, and then I started to read up about all the new and under-construction stadiums, that have high-tech equipment and are architecturally stunning like US Bank Stadium. And this got me thinking, that as BoA is 20 years old and does not have a retractable roof, why doesn't Charlotte and the Panthers did a new stadium? 

I know its expensive, but why hasn't there been a proposal to rebuild BoA instead of spending a ton of money for an ageing stadium. 

I had two thoughts about this, 1) The Panthers move to a temporary stadium for one season whilst a new stadium is built or 2) Build a new stadium in Uptown, between Tryon + the Blue Line and 7th St + 9th St. 

Edited by Piedmont767

46 minutes ago, Piedmont767 said:

Please don't have a go at me, I'm a new football fan.

So I was reading about BoA Stadium and all the upgrades that the City is paying for, and then I started to read up about all the new and under-construction stadiums, that have high-tech equipment and are architecturally stunning like US Bank Stadium. And this got me thinking, that as BoA is 20 years old and does not have a retractable roof, why doesn't Charlotte and the Panthers did a new stadium? 

I know its expensive, but why hasn't there been a proposal to rebuild BoA instead of spending a ton of money for an ageing stadium. 

I had two thoughts about this, 1) The Panthers move to a temporary stadium for one season whilst a new stadium is built or 2) Build a new stadium in Uptown, between Tryon + the Blue Line and 7th St + 9th St. 

BofA Stadium has good bones, and, although not having an indoor stadium likely means that we will never host a Super Bowl, I personally prefer a classically-designed outdoor stadium.  Football is meant to be played outdoors, and part of the fun of attending a game is sweating your ass off in the summer, freezing said ass off in the winter, and getting soaking wet on occasion.  I say let all those other cities have their fancy indoor stadiums with all the unnecessary bells and whistles that just detract from the game.

Edited by cltcane
  • Like 3

The schedule was released last night.  Panthers kick off the season for the whole NFL with a Thursday night Super Bowl re-match against the Broncos.  Panthers ended up with 5 games in prime time (2 Thu, 1 Sun, 2 Mon), two of which are at home.  They also have 3 games at 4/4:30, for a total of only eight 1pm games (with one of those on Sat due to xmas and one on new year's day).  There's a stretch of 6 games with only 1 game at 1pm.  Plan accordingly.

First Quarter: @DEN (Thu), SF, MIN, @ATL.  Well, who knows how good any of these teams will be?  Man I hate Atlanta.  Minnesota was pretty good last year, but they're coming here.  At Denver to start the season has to be prime motivation from now until gametime.  You know, they're pros and everything, and nothing will ever make up for the loss, but you know they still want to punch them in the mouth.  Peyton is gone and who knows who will play....but it wasn't really the Denver offense that won the game.

Second Quarter: TB (Mon), @NO, ---BYE---, ARI (4:30), @LA (4:00).  Hmm, well, Cam v Jameis in primetime, at BofA, in early Oct.  Could be fun in the uptown.  TB and NO also complete an early 3-game stretch vs division foes, two of them on the road.  Arizona at home, but late, is odd.  

Third Quarter: KC, NO (Thu), @OAK (4:30), @SEA (primetime).  Well, KC could be good so I'm glad they're coming here.  NO at home in primetime.  And then west for 2 games....will they stay out there?  Man, both OAK and SEA should be good.  This is a nasty little 4-game stretch.

Fourth Quarter: SD, @WAS (Mon), ATL (Saturday xmas eve), @TB (new year's day).  What an odd choice for a (late season) MNF game.  The holiday games are interesting.  I look forward to leftover-champagne mimosas while awaiting the TB kickoff.

As a wise man once said:  19-0.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, grodney said:

The schedule was released last night.  Panthers kick off the season for the whole NFL with a Thursday night Super Bowl re-match against the Broncos.  Panthers ended up with 5 games in prime time (2 Thu, 1 Sun, 2 Mon), two of which are at home.  They also have 3 games at 4/4:30, for a total of only eight 1pm games (with one of those on Sat due to xmas and one on new year's day).  There's a stretch of 6 games with only 1 game at 1pm.  Plan accordingly.

First Quarter: @DEN (Thu), SF, MIN, @ATL.  Well, who knows how good any of these teams will be?  Man I hate Atlanta.  Minnesota was pretty good last year, but they're coming here.  At Denver to start the season has to be prime motivation from now until gametime.  You know, they're pros and everything, and nothing will ever make up for the loss, but you know they still want to punch them in the mouth.  Peyton is gone and who knows who will play....but it wasn't really the Denver offense that won the game.

Second Quarter: TB (Mon), @NO, ---BYE---, ARI (4:30), @LA (4:00).  Hmm, well, Cam v Jameis in primetime, at BofA, in early Oct.  Could be fun in the uptown.  TB and NO also complete an early 3-game stretch vs division foes, two of them on the road.  Arizona at home, but late, is odd.  

Third Quarter: KC, NO (Thu), @OAK (4:30), @SEA (primetime).  Well, KC could be good so I'm glad they're coming here.  NO at home in primetime.  And then west for 2 games....will they stay out there?  Man, both OAK and SEA should be good.  This is a nasty little 4-game stretch.

Fourth Quarter: SD, @WAS (Mon), ATL (Saturday xmas eve), @TB (new year's day).  What an odd choice for a (late season) MNF game.  The holiday games are interesting.  I look forward to leftover-champagne mimosas while awaiting the TB kickoff.

As a wise man once said:  19-0.

I'm so upset about this. I tend to drink a littttttttle bit during night games... Its not so bad when you only have 1 or 2 night games a year, 4 of them... Yeesh. 

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'm so upset about this. I tend to drink a littttttttle bit during night games... Its not so bad when you only have 1 or 2 night games a year, 4 of them... Yeesh. 

5 of them RDF.  Five.  That's a lot of "working from home" the next day.

That being said, my personal drinking algorithm during Panther games doesn't much recognize day games from night games.

Edited by grodney

1 hour ago, grodney said:

5 of them RDF.  Five.  That's a lot of "working from home" the next day.

That being said, my personal drinking algorithm during Panther games doesn't much recognize day games from night games.

LOL, well the Panthers bar in Manhattan has a "All you can drink Brunch" during the 1pm games, so at least I'll be able to avoid that.

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

LOL, well the Panthers bar in Manhattan has a "All you can drink Brunch" during the 1pm games, so at least I'll be able to avoid that.

THIS. Fellow NC expat here.  I'm lucky to in an NYC neighborhood that has some Carolina love. 

My only question...what's with this Seattle game?  They have been in Seattle now 3 years.  Correct?  When does Seattle come here, aside from the playoffs?  And that Monday night game is gonna be kind of a joke. 

^It's the luck of the draw (or lack there of maybe) in terms of scheduling. Each division within a conference faces a full slate of teams from another division every 3 years (NFC teams face the same AFC teams every 4 years). This year the NFC South faces NFC West. They alternate each time what team is home (this year we get 49ers and Cards in Charlotte). Outside of that, each division matches with their peer in terms of placement from the previous season. And home and homes are split that way. The Redskins won the NFC East last season, Panthers won NFC South. They play in Washington in 2016. Vikings won the NFC Central, so they come here. Then 2nd place faces 2nd place, 3rd vs 3rd, etc. It's the NFL's way of making sure they still get good match ups every year.. especially for TV scheduling. So as long as the Panthers and Seattle keep winning their divisions, we'll see plenty of each other in the coming years.  And don't forget that Seattle, up until last season, had been coming here for a few years in a row. 

Fellow UP'ers

Just got the "green light" from my spousal equivelant to make a purchase on season tickets and I'm hoping someone can impart some knowledge on me as a reliable or reputable place to purchase? Got seriously burned on CL last season to the tune of $750.00 for upper level. Tix did not scan at entry gate and I can't prove it but I'm still not convinced the PSL owner was not in on it. 

Due to the enormous cost, I'm not looking to make the dive into a PSL just yet, and I don't think the Panthers sell single seasons (please correct me if I'm wrong).  I'm sure some of you have purchased full seasons previously and I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction. If any of you happen to have season tix that you're looking to sell, please PM me.

Many Thanks in advance