Carolina Panthers

7 hours ago, UPNoDa said:

Fellow UP'ers

Just got the "green light" from my spousal equivelant to make a purchase on season tickets and I'm hoping someone can impart some knowledge on me as a reliable or reputable place to purchase? Got seriously burned on CL last season to the tune of $750.00 for upper level. Tix did not scan at entry gate and I can't prove it but I'm still not convinced the PSL owner was not in on it. 

Due to the enormous cost, I'm not looking to make the dive into a PSL just yet, and I don't think the Panthers sell single seasons (please correct me if I'm wrong).  I'm sure some of you have purchased full seasons previously and I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction. If any of you happen to have season tix that you're looking to sell, please PM me.

Many Thanks in advance

Unless you buy the tickets from a PSL owner you know, there's no way to guarantee them unless you buy through the NFL Ticket Exchange. IMO, NFL game tickets are too expensive to buy from anything other than a trusted source (CL and scalpers aren't that). Panthers don't sell season tickets without PSLs. They do sell a limited number of individual games but unless you're really savvy, you're not likely to get the same 2 seats for every game. I came pretty close to pulling the trigger on PSLs a few  years ago, but didn't... Now I regret it. Those PSLs that are now $5K a pop were half that (the last time Panthers didn't make playoffs).

Edited by HopHead

So the Panthers pulled the franchise tag on Norman and he's an unrestricted free agent.

Personally, I like the move. I LOVED watching Norman play, but he was truly successful because of a stout front 7 and the zone coverage Carolina runs. He'll be 30 soon and wants a 5 year deal at $16mil/yr (highest corner in the league). He's not worth it. I've always kept the thought to myself but now I can finally admit that physically he got beat handedly by Odell. Odell just couldn't handle the mind games.

Thank You Gettleman for once again making a tough decision that will improve our future.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ES Charlotte said:

So the Panthers pulled the franchise tag on Norman and he's an unrestricted free agent.

Personally, I like the move. I LOVED watching Norman play, but he was truly successful because of a stout front 7 and the zone coverage Carolina runs. He'll be 30 soon and wants a 5 year deal at $16mil/yr (highest corner in the league). He's not worth it. I've always kept the thought to myself but now I can finally admit that physically he got beat handedly by Odell. Odell just couldn't handle the mind games.

Thank You Gettleman for once again making a tough decision that will improve our future.

Thanks for being ballsy enough to say what we all wanted to say. If we paid him $16M we'd have been feeling like the hornets when they gave Lance money

^I loved Josh Norman's game, but he's not worth the $16M per year that he wanted. Panthers went as far as they could go $11-12M (not including the franchise tag). I don't fault the guy for wanting to get paid, but he played with a bad poker face. And Gettleman called his bluff. I don't think the Panthers D will take that big of a hit. He wasn't even the 3rd best player on that defense. The front 7 is what makes that defense tick. You see other guys from the secondary leave this team and they aren't nearly as effective as there were in Carolina. 

So in the first round Carolina picks DT Vernon Butler????  Out of all things we needed another DT when we have Kawann and Star, one of the best pairs of defensive tackles in the league?  Can somebody who has a little more insight than I do explain why Gettleman is filling holes that don't exist?  Didn't we just lose a star CB?  Haven't we been in need of good receivers for a while?  Why pass up the opportunity to draft Derrick Henry considering how important RB is to the Carolina offense?

8 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

Haven't we been in need of good receivers for a while?  Why pass up the opportunity to draft Derrick Henry considering how important RB is to the Carolina offense?

I don't know, they've won 3 straight NFC crowns and made the Super Bowl last year without any "good receivers" and with their best one injured.  Seattle won a Super Bowl without any "good receivers".  I'm trying to add up all the Super Bowls for Megatron, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, etc.

As for RB?  I can't imagine ever wasting a draft pick on one.  I'm not a GM (and I know that GMs know WAY more than I do, because, it's their job), but I LOVE the RB corps the Panthers currently have.

8 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

So in the first round Carolina picks DT Vernon Butler????  Out of all things we needed another DT when we have Kawann and Star, one of the best pairs of defensive tackles in the league?  Can somebody who has a little more insight than I do explain why Gettleman is filling holes that don't exist?  Didn't we just lose a star CB?  Haven't we been in need of good receivers for a while?  Why pass up the opportunity to draft Derrick Henry considering how important RB is to the Carolina offense?

1.  DT is an incredibly important position.  And unlike say, CB, they rotate heavily.  KK and Star rarely play more than one defensive series before one has to rotate out to rest.  Now you can rotate in Butler and lose nothing.

2.  Gettleman lives and dies by the OL and DL.  We don't need a WR, we had the best offense in the NFL last season, lost nothing and gained Kelvin Benjamin.  We also have Funchess with an entire year of development under his belt.  I also anticipate we take a WR or TE in the 3-7th rounds.

3.  This move is likely to allow Star to walk and keep Butler and KK as our two DT's moving forward.

4.  Butler is similar to KK in that he is a disruptor.  The dude is huge but also dominant in the pass rush.  Star is a solid DT, but he is a hole plugger and rarely gets into the backfield.  We are now absolutely set at DT for years to come with two of the (likely) most disruptive DT's in the league.  No one will be able to run the ball up the middle on us now.

5.  Derrick Henry, while fun, is not the BPA, nor a need.  We have a solid running game and I don't think Henry is an every down back like J Stew.  Henry would be, at best, your 3rd and 1 guy.  And we already have 2 of those in Cam and Tolbert.

I love this pick.  We have the best defensive interior in the NFL and the best linebacking corps (IMO).  I could play CB for this team, because the QB is going to have all of 2 seconds to get rid of the ball before Butler or KK are eating their lunch.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

I love this pick. 

Second, this is a great move. To have 3 players that will seamlessly move in and out will exhaust offenses (like what Denver did to us) and Butler is DAY ONE ready which is invaluable. This is one of the deepest drafts (if not the...) in the last decade. 

Edited by Jayvee

56 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

1.  DT is an incredibly important position.  And unlike say, CB, they rotate heavily.  KK and Star rarely play more than one defensive series before one has to rotate out to rest.  Now you can rotate in Butler and lose nothing.

2.  Gettleman lives and dies by the OL and DL.  We don't need a WR, we had the best offense in the NFL last season, lost nothing and gained Kelvin Benjamin.  We also have Funchess with an entire year of development under his belt.  I also anticipate we take a WR or TE in the 3-7th rounds.

3.  This move is likely to allow Star to walk and keep Butler and KK as our two DT's moving forward.

4.  Butler is similar to KK in that he is a disruptor.  The dude is huge but also dominant in the pass rush.  Star is a solid DT, but he is a hole plugger and rarely gets into the backfield.  We are now absolutely set at DT for years to come with two of the (likely) most disruptive DT's in the league.  No one will be able to run the ball up the middle on us now.

5.  Derrick Henry, while fun, is not the BPA, nor a need.  We have a solid running game and I don't think Henry is an every down back like J Stew.  Henry would be, at best, your 3rd and 1 guy.  And we already have 2 of those in Cam and Tolbert.

I love this pick.  We have the best defensive interior in the NFL and the best linebacking corps (IMO).  I could play CB for this team, because the QB is going to have all of 2 seconds to get rid of the ball before Butler or KK are eating their lunch.

I think the same thing about our DL and LB corps, which is precisely why I didn't think another DT was a need.  If anything on the line, I thought maybe we'd take a DE.  Not that I think Butler won't be a great addition to the interior line, I just always thought we were kind of set there.

As for Henry, the reason I think he'd be a good pick for Carolina is that he could be built into the offense playing under J. Stew.  Stewart is a great RB and one of my favorite players.  I hope he stays with Carolina until retirement.  But historically he's been injury prone, and he has been in the league for a while now, so I was kind of looking at Henry as someone who could take over in Stewart's absence and be groomed for the starting position eventually.

Edited by cltbwimob

Gettleman's belief is that you build the defense from the inside out and Butler just adds another guy they can rotate -- who will be able to run on them?. This Panthers D has made their defensive backs a lot of money in the open market over the last few years. The strength of the D is really the front 7. They can get away with putting B players in the secondary and still be successful as we've seen. I love the pick personally... Butler is a monster. If Derrick Henry is available in the 2nd when the Panthers pick, I wouldn't be upset if they took him. I still think they'll go DB next though. 

After Bosa and Shaq Lawson were selected, there were no DEs worth taking there.  Gman went best player available.  You need a heavy rotation of DTS coming in fresh.  This commands double teams and frees up your pass rushers.  We had to blitz way too much last season.  I don't think this necessarily means Star will be allowed to walk in a couple of seasons.  They have different skill sets and Gman loves his hog mollies.  

If you are constantly reaching for need, you have a much bigger chance of drafting a bust.  

On Friday, April 29, 2016 at 9:41 AM, HopHead said:

Gettleman's belief is that you build the defense from the inside out and Butler just adds another guy they can rotate -- who will be able to run on them?. This Panthers D has made their defensive backs a lot of money in the open market over the last few years. The strength of the D is really the front 7. They can get away with putting B players in the secondary and still be successful as we've seen. I love the pick personally... Butler is a monster. If Derrick Henry is available in the 2nd when the Panthers pick, I wouldn't be upset if they took him. I still think they'll go DB next though. 

You were more right than you realized.  We got 2 DBS at the top of Gmans board, then a player that fits perfectly as a nickel.  Gman was looking for DBS with certain traits (size/long arms/physical run stuffers), and also top athletes.  After Jalen Ramsay, these 2 were actually the corners that Gman wanted.  Keep in mind, he was a scout by trade.  I couldn't be happier with this draft, and that doesn't even include the free agent signings, which had 2 steals.

• 3 weeks later...

Local ownership would be nice, but ugh, this possibility gives me the heebeegeebees. Fingers crossed that the sons aren't as mercenary as Bruton.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/05/18/bruton-smith-stands-by-interest-in-buying-carolina.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2016-05-18&u=jDmEk%2BCKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC&t=1463603811&j=73317712

^Part of me thinks it would be good because you know his family would invest in the team and infrastructure. The other part of me thinks it's bad because you'd know he'd either 1) Make some bizarre decisions like firing Rivera, for example, if they missed the playoffs following a Super Bowl win or 2) holding the city hostage because he started building a new practice facility prior to receiving proper permitting (like he did with the dragway). I'm split on it to be honest now... Though, you'd have to see what the other options would be too when the time comes. Frankly, I hope the Panthers never leave their current location for another place in Charlotte in my lifetime. I still cringe at the thought of them one day being at Carowinds or near the Speedway. 

Don't have a problem if they move the practice facilities elsewhere. They desperately need an indoor practice field and also could use a place w/ more privacy. Compare Atlanta's practice facilities w/ Carolina's and then think back to the weather the week before the Panthers lone reg season loss last year. 

• 2 weeks later...
On Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 7:28 AM, mad_park said:

Don't have a problem if they move the practice facilities elsewhere. They desperately need an indoor practice field and also could use a place w/ more privacy. Compare Atlanta's practice facilities w/ Carolina's and then think back to the weather the week before the Panthers lone reg season loss last year. 

That may be, but many impress the idea that the Panthers' success is also attributed to their conditioning in seasonally hot and (later) cold outdoor weather.  However, that point is pretty moot considering we had those same practice fields during our 1-15 season... so *shrug*

On 4/29/2016 at 8:10 AM, ah59396 said:

e are now absolutely set at DT for years to come with two of the (likely) most disruptive DT's in the league.  No one will be able to run the ball up the middle on us no

If I've learned anything from the Rocky franchise (and I mean, let's face it, we all have) training outdoors is infinitely better than indoors.  Look at Rocky 3 and Rocky 4.

Rocky 3 - Rocky gets cocky, trains inside a fancy studio while Clubber Lane does pullups on rusty leaking pipes in some basement.  Clubber beats Rocky to a pulp and kills Mick in the process.  THEN, Apollo gets a hold of Rocky, trains him in a dank basement in LA, BUT ALSO outside on the beach.  Rocky finally best Apollo in a beach race, subsequently defeating Clubber Lane in 3 rounds.

Rocky 4 - Apollo gets cocky and doesn't train hard outside to beat Ivan Drago.  Result?  Drago breaks Apollo for good.  Rocky, goes on nighttime driving montage in his sports car, sees the power of out door training, goes to Siberia with Pauley (for some reason) and gets trained in an old wooden cabin and on a mountain by Apollo's old trainer.  Drago trains inside on a fancy track with a giant spotlight and a bunch of crapty soviet tech from 1984 ( plus a little doping because soviets have to = bad guys) and what happens?!?!?!

Rocky cures Communism.

So if you want America to stay free, the Panthers have to continue to train outside.  That's the only conclusion I can come to here.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...