Carolina Panthers

I thought the Panthers showed some real ability to run to the left side (wide-ish) in the 2nd half.  I don't know if that's because the Bucs' right side sucked, or if the Panthers' left side figured something out ---- or just different play-calling.  Let's hope it was something more than the Bucs sucking.

IVe said it once I'll say it again. The issue is Ron. The play calling has been uninspired. The penalties have been outrageous (most in the league). The look of motivation has been minimal. And the game management has been atrocious. All of those things fall on the head coach and Ron is failing in every area. 

With 2+ minutes left it is baffling to me that Ron doesn't call timeouts to stop the clock. He trusts his defense that has let up 38 points and hasn't stopped them all day? Makes zero sense. Oh and when the clock is already stopped, that's when he takes a time out. He has no idea what he is doing. 

3 hours ago, Higgs Boson said:

David Gettleman has got to go.  Guy has butchered this team so hard.

Correct. With the league's worst secondary, no depth at running back and a patchwork offensive line, this is 100% on management. Meanwhile they have $17M in unused cap space.

Gentleman never gave this team a chance. Every move he made this offseason has backfired.

5 hours ago, ah59396 said:

Just out of curiosity, how come you're a Tribe and Cav's fan, but not a fan of the Browns?

Because in my lifetime the Indians and Cavs have been good and I went to a lot of their games as a kid (I grew up with them). The Browns didn't exist in a lot of prime childhood years. Not to mention they haven't been good since they came back so I never cared about them to begin with. When I moved here 5 years ago it was easy to let them go and enjoy and become a Panthers fan. It was an organization with hope and promise. 

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

Because in my lifetime the Indians and Cavs have been good and I went to a lot of their games as a kid (I grew up with them). The Browns didn't exist in a lot of prime childhood years. Not to mention they haven't been good since they came back so I never cared about them to begin with. When I moved here 5 years ago it was easy to let them go and enjoy and become a Panthers fan. It was an organization with hope and promise. 

I can get down with that.

• 2 weeks later...

They let the Cards back in the game, which is something they struggled with all last season (quitting the game too early and letting the other team back in it) but this was a clean win. 

Penalities are still a MAJOR issue. But the team looked much better. Much more motivated and much more ready to play at a higher level. 

• Like 1

Sloppy win today but a win no less.  Khalil and Oher have to get back in the lineup soon or Cam will continue to take shots.  Also, Cam needs to figure out why he was such an accurate passer last year and try to replicate that.  He has managed to find his 2014 accuracy/inconsistency issues and put them on full display even when he isn't under pressure.  

Overall, the team's not looking good for games against Seattle, KC, and Atlanta, and [with the way Atlanta is playing] they more or less need to win out to have a shot at the division.  

• Like 1

I know this is kind of taboo (especially with the NFL in comparison to other leagues) but I hope we lose out.  I want a Super Bowl in Charlotte so bad and that's clearly not happening this year.  A few more wins this season means nothing.  We have the top-end talent to win a Super Bowl, but we also have some serious holes to fill.  A top-five pick in each round could do wonders for us going forward.

But, I totally expect this team to win four or five meaningless games to close the season and end up in the middle of the draft.

Edited by Higgs Boson

6 minutes ago, Higgs Boson said:

I know this is kind of taboo (especially with the NFL in comparison to other leagues) but I hope we lose out.  I want a Super Bowl in Charlotte so bad and that's clearly not happening this year.  A few more wins this season means nothing.  We have the top-end talent to win a Super Bowl, but we also have some serious holes to fill.  A top-five pick in each round could do wonders for us going forward.

Honestly, this is actually a good mindset to have.   Can't tell you how many years fans in Buffalo demanded the team not give up on fighting to be the last team to make the playoffs. Also good that you mention each round as there are really good players left in the top half of the 2nd.  The key is now blowing the top 5 when you have it.  

I dislike Michigan but Jabrill Peppers is the truth.  Several CBs in the top 10 that could also make an immediate impact.

Looking at history, I'm not sure why I was so optimistic heading into this season. In the history of the franchise, the Panthers have never had back-to-back seasons with a winning record. A lot of 8-8's, 7-9's, and the one 7-8-1 before and/or after a winning season. But never over .500.

That said, I'm not counting us out YET. The road is tough and unlikely, but it is still plausible that the Panthers could win the NFC South. The Falcons are beginning to show signs of 2nd half implosion (as usual,) and the Panthers really only need to get revenge on the three NFC South teams to pull it out. Win out and the Panthers could very well win (assuming the Falcons lose two or more) the division.

Get Oher and Khalil back and we might be in business. The secondary is starting to show some maturity, it's just the soft coverage (aka coaching) inside that is killing this defense now. They really need to quit calling try-not-to-lose plays. It hasn't worked all season. Keep pressing, keep pressuring, keep passing, and Keep Pounding!