Carolina Panthers

That Kuechly injury was scary. Nobody loves the game more than he does and you know he was so wrapped up in emotion, mostly because he didn't know what was going on. Good to see a lot of his peers across the league are reaching out to him to offer support. Beyond the injury to him the other injuries to Addison, L Johnson and Kalil really stings. The Saints were able to start moving the ball and on defense they were able to get more pressure on Cam (as if they weren't doing enough of it already) with Kalil out. Shula's play calling in the 4th quarter was absolutely infuriating. Again. He doesn't seem to understand the concept of in game adjustments. The next two games on the road against Oakland and Seattle will be tough. Especially if any of those guys hurt last night are out. I doubt we'll see Kuechly in Oakland and maybe even Seattle. Feel like the inevitable is being delayed. 

5 minutes ago, jednc said:

I saw a couple of mentions of this on Twitter, but no details... What did the announcers say about Charlotte near the end of the first half that was negative?

I think I found the answer in another thread. From what I read on Twitter it sounded as though it was negative. Must have been lost in translation...

• 2 weeks later...

And that'll just about do it for the Panther's season.  They are now 4-7 and they have lost 5 of those 7 by a combined total of 13 points.  Yep... 2 touchdowns away from being 9-2.  But I guess our decline managing coaching staff considers it a win if they are "in the game" when time expires in the 4th quarter.

Here's hoping next year is better.

I know that some of this can be traced to personnel changes. But I can't help but entertain a larger theory: the realization that the Panthers never had a better chance than last year -- and showed up for the Super Bowl wholly unprepared for the Broncos -- took the starch out of the team.

If the team has given up. shouldn't the paying fans give up ? Wouldn't that send a message ?

Absolutely not!!! Charlotte is full of fair weather fans and this season the Panthers FINALLY have a dedicated fan base. I'm a bit worried though that they're going to scare everyone off this season still. So far I'm still seeing a lot of Panthers pride despite their record. And I love that.

Maybe Charlotte can finally hold pride in their team through thick and thin. This season certainly will be the real test. If they can hold their fan base this season (late second half run anyone?) then maybe Charlotte can finally be on the map for sports.
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2016 at 9:55 AM, ah59396 said:

We need to merge this thread with the Drinking Beer in Charlotte thread because that's the only way I can keep watching this team.

I don't drink and I still liked your comment. Watching them play might just drive me to drinking.

27 minutes ago, AuLukey said:

Absolutely not!!! Charlotte is full of fair weather fans and this season the Panthers FINALLY have a dedicated fan base. I'm a bit worried though that they're going to scare everyone off this season still. So far I'm still seeing a lot of Panthers pride despite their record. And I love that.

Maybe Charlotte can finally hold pride in their team through thick and thin. This season certainly will be the real test. If they can hold their fan base this season (late second half run anyone?) then maybe Charlotte can finally be on the map for sports.

I watch the Panthers when I can. And I always hope they'll do well. But Panthers ain't family. They're sports entertainment. And in my view, they're not fielding a product I consider worth paying for.

• Like 2

This year is over for the Panthers.   They have a lot of work to do to fix this team for next year.  I question a lot of play calling.  I looked  at other teams and I see a lot of changes the Panthers are going to have to make to be to complete next year. We do not need to replace the all the team but need to get some more experience better  players.

Edited by RiverwoodCLT

I believe that the bad season has a silver lining. I believe that it is a humbling experience for the team and Cam Newton who has been pampered way too much and been an ass on many occasions. I believe that last year was a season where we were lucky enough to play teams that were all having a bad year.  We will do better next year and hopefully years after after an embarrassing season this year. Do not despair.  

Everyone on the Panthers holds some accountability for their performance this season, Cam included. I've been a big Cam defender on this board and the twitterverse but he has contributed to the demise of this team much like everyone else. The tie thing didn't lose them the game on Sunday. But I think it's more of an indicator of just how broken this team is as a whole. I also think it's obvious he didn't spend the time he needed to in the off season to better himself like he did last year. He was too busy doing TV shows and whatever else that was't football related. You see it in his throws, his chemistry with receivers, etc. I think he needs a take a back to basics approach this offseason and do whatever he did in 2015 to get back to that level he was at last year (he got a lot of praise for doing the not so fun grunt work then). We know he'll never have the mechanics of someone like Tom Brady or Drew Brees, and he doesn't need to but he needs some fine tuning. The offensive line problems hasn't help either and that also contributed to some of his mistakes as well -- can we get rid of Remmers please? Then there is the play calling. I think Shula peaked last year. It's as if he used all of his creativity last season. Then he got figured out in the Super Bowl and he has yet to recover from that. An above average offensive coordinator would have been able to take some lumps this year and figure out ways to get around their make shift offensive line and QB who wasn't playing at the same level he did last year. I also would not be bothered if the Panthers traded Kelvin Benjamin for some reliable offensive tackles, a WR that can always get open or pass rush help. I think KB is as talented as any WR the Panthers have had but it's clear he doesn't fit in the dynamic of this offense right now. He has twice as many targets as anyone else. Teams are locked in on him. Last year, Cam was able to spread the ball around and defenses rarely would be able to lock down just one guy. Defense, they need a consistent edge rusher. While the defense certainly hasn't been the problem the last month or so of the season they could stand to have a few holes plugged too. I do like the future of the CBs though. Worley, and especially Bradberry are going to be good. Having them take their lumps early is paying off. I think Norman would have helped this team, but him being gone isn't the reason the Panthers are where they are now. Ok. I'm out of breath now...

• Like 1

@HopHead 2/3rds of your post is about Cam yet the Panthers offense - with an inept offensive line, flat out bad receivers and no running back depth - is still middle of the league in points. 

Blame goes to the defense, IMO. They rank at the bottom of most categories, primarily within the secondary. Going with three rookies in the secondary cost us the season. Management gambled and lost, bigly.

1 hour ago, lewy2000 said:

@HopHead 2/3rds of your post is about Cam yet the Panthers offense - with an inept offensive line, flat out bad receivers and no running back depth - is still middle of the league in points. 

Blame goes to the defense, IMO. They rank at the bottom of most categories, primarily within the secondary. Going with three rookies in the secondary cost us the season. Management gambled and lost, bigly.

Panthers had the #1 offense in the NFL last year. Going to middle of the pack is a huge drop off. Defense isn't without its issues though too -- I mentioned pass rush. But if you look at how Carolina lost some of their games this year to teams like Kansas City, Minnesota, Denver, Tampa Bay it was their offense that did them in. They could easily be 8-4 right now and things would be all hunky dory. Last season their offense bailed them out a few times (i.e. NO, NYG). The team needs changes on both sides next year to get back in the playoff mix. 

Edited by HopHead