Carolina Panthers

On 12/6/2016 at 7:47 PM, HopHead said:

Panthers had the #1 offense in the NFL last year. Going to middle of the pack is a huge drop off. Defense isn't without its issues though too -- I mentioned pass rush. But if you look at how Carolina lost some of their games this year to teams like Kansas City, Minnesota, Denver, Tampa Bay it was their offense that did them in. They could easily be 8-4 right now and things would be all hunky dory. Last season their offense bailed them out a few times (i.e. NO, NYG). The team needs changes on both sides next year to get back in the playoff mix. 

Does anyone thing Gettleman will have the guts to try and trade up in the draft?

Cleveland right now has the 1st and 13th pick in the draft.  They need everything but really need a QB.  This years class for QBs is pretty bad (for top 10 consideration at least) and I could see Cleveland moving down to the 8th or so where Carolina would fall.  

This would allow Carolina to go after Myles Garrett and then shore up DB play through free agency.  There are some big names out there like Eric Berry and Stephon Gilmore, though I am not sure how Carolina is with the cap.  

Last year the Browns draft was really in line with the site Pro Football Focus.  They are the first to really get into sabermetrics on a subscription site for the NFL.  With the Browns moneyball mindset starting this past year, they drafted guys at each position that PFF rated highly.  Point being, PFF loves Myles Garrett, if they have a shot at him I don't think they're moving down.

1 hour ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Last year the Browns draft was really in line with the site Pro Football Focus.  They are the first to really get into sabermetrics on a subscription site for the NFL.  With the Browns moneyball mindset starting this past year, they drafted guys at each position that PFF rated highly.  Point being, PFF loves Myles Garrett, if they have a shot at him I don't think they're moving down.

I can see that. :(

I can also see them hoping a QB is there at 13...and they might be.  Kizer from ND is an Ohio kid and has all of the tools you need sans experience.  

• 2 weeks later...

The season is effectively over (.002% chance of making the playoffs) but I thoroughly enjoyed the game last night. Always fun watching the Panthers beat the Redskins (their 5th straight win against them) and dealing a serious blow to their playoff hopes. My FB news feed was full of sadness which was awesome.

So... that happened... again...

We'll look back at this year as an unnecessary rebuilding year after a pretty unfortunate off-season and injury-plagued regular season.

I still feel like it goes back to last years draft. Shaq Thompson didn't make sense then when there were so many good o-line and secondary players out there. He MAY pay off once TD retires, so maybe-just maybe-Gettleman was playing the long game. I just don't see it right now.

The glaring holes in our o-line better take priority in this years draft/free agency. Cam is never going to produce again if he doesn't get proper protection.

18 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

Glad to put this dumpster fire of a season to bed.

Really pathetic.  Cam awful but obviously hurt.  Gano had no excuse.  I think they bounce back in a big way next year.  Losing today and last week gets them a better draft slot and easier schedule but still disappointed in how they gave that game away...

• 1 month later...

And my prediction for the Super Bowl is 

Charlotte will win a Super Bowl host site within 10  years or sooner! . Why do you say? Here are some insights from this years host Houston with a comparison with Charlotte. 

Weather of course is our biggest deterrent. But look at today sunny in the 50s perfect football weather.

Continued stadium improvements and an urban location for the stadium unlike Houston which NRG Stadium is south of downtown surrounded by parking lots and the old Astrodome. 

Super Bowl opening night held at Minute Maid Park MLS stadium domed in downtown. We could hold this event at Time Warner Cable Spectrum Arena

1st and Future Startup Competition which showcases player safety and sports technology. CMC and Novant maybe could jointly host this  This was held at Texas Medical Cener innovation center

The NFL Experience which is held in Houstons Convention center and would be held in our convention center no problem there and within walking distance of stadium

NFL Headquarters hotel new 1000 room Marriott Marquis downtown Houston in Charlotte this could be the Westin at 700 rooms

Super Bowl Live free outdoor 9 day festival. Held at Discovery Green downtown Houston park. This could be Romare Bearden and BB&T ballpark. Discovery Green is larger than Bearden but it could work here.

Taste of the NFL competition held at Univ of Houston this is easy for Charlotte Johnson and Wales could host downtown. Plus again walking distance to stadium

Houston's pitch also included using Ellington Field their 3rd airport for priority private plane take off. Can you say Concord Regional airport biggest general aviation airport close to downtown.

Houston needed to secure 19,000 rooms which Charlotte has about 22,000 or so and growing. 

The Patriots staying at Westin Houston Galleria   Team X could stay at Ballatyne Hotel   The Falcons staying at Westin Memorial City even further out from the stadium in in the Katy Freeway corridor. Team Y at the Renaissance Hotel by airport or Marriott and new AC Hotel in Southpark. 

Venues for the many parties again mainly uptown The Mint, the Bechtler, the Harvey B Gantt , Founders Hall, the Wells Fargo Atrium and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. 

Houston has 10,000 volunteers but I KNOW Charlotte could do that with such large employers at the banks. Accenture has 1700 employees alone in Htown volunteering and there are 800 employees here. 

Our new hotels the Kimpton, the Bohemian, the ones underway now

Our hub airport with 700 plus daily flights. 

Put me on the SuperBowl committee day one count me in. and for those who do not think this is possible look at the DNC Convention. Many doubted we could host that. 

Imagine bringing in the Whitewater center and Speedway

All in all I do believe Charlotte will host the Super Bowl within 10 years and I hope Jerry Richardson lives to see it. 

Todays winner metro Houston! 

Source of information the Houston Business Journal Jan. 27 2017

Charlotte Race to the SuperBowl 2025!

UP people: Do I have any volunteers to help? With 60,000 PSL holders I think we can find 10,000 don't  you? 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

The Panthers really blew this year, but I think I'd almost rather just suck like we did than blow a 25 point lead in the superbowl.  I was incredibly depressed following both our Superbowl losses, I can't imagine how Falcons fans feel this morning.  Just awful.

I felt so dirty cheering for the Patriots last night for fear of us becoming the Philadelphia Eagles of the NFC South (only team without a SB win in their respective division). Not to mention all the trash Falcons fans talked after losing last year. Now it's been flipped. I'm not sure how you recover from a meltdown like that last night. Their Super Bowl hangover will be worse than ours. They can say it won't impact them, but it will. Remember how we all thought the Panthers would be just fine? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

13 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Panthers are making HUGE waves in free agency....oh wait. No they're not. But they did bring peppers home....yay?

Bringing back Peppers is a great move. They'll have him as situational pass rusher and spell other guys on the DL. This will add some nice depth. At 37 he's still a freakish athlete. I don't like how much they played Kalil to come in at left guard, but they had to do something especially with the uncertainty with Oher.. Their thought is a change of scenery, with a contender, will be be a positive. Plus he'll be playing with his brother, who is one of the best centers in the game when healthy. BTW, congrats to the Browns for picking up the underachieving and well overpaid QB, Brock Osweiler. Making great use of that $100M in cap room. Maybe they can convince Johnny Manziel to come back as the second string QB.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, HopHead said:

Bringing back Peppers is a great move. They'll have him as situational pass rusher and spell other guys on the DL. This will add some nice depth. At 37 he's still a freakish athlete. I don't like how much they played Kalil to come in at left guard, but they had to do something especially with the uncertainty with Oher.. Their thought is a change of scenery, with a contender, will be be a positive. Plus he'll be playing with his brother, who is one of the best centers in the game when healthy. BTW, congrats to the Browns for picking up the underachieving and well overpaid QB, Brock Osweiler. Making great use of that $100M in cap room. Maybe they can convince Johnny Manziel to come back as the second string QB.

I think they have a ton of gaps. And actually, not to get off topic, that move by the.Browns is brilliant. It's impossible to spend $100 mil in free agency so they have the money to eat. In return they bought increasingly valuable draft picks, got someone who can hike the ball better than anyone they had, would get in FA or in the draft and gave up virtually nothing. 

5 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

I think they have a ton of gaps. And actually, not to get off topic, that move by the.Browns is brilliant. It's impossible to spend $100 mil in free agency so they have the money to eat. In return they bought increasingly valuable draft picks, got someone who can hike the ball better than anyone they had, would get in FA or in the draft and gave up virtually nothing. 

Agree that the move was actually good (for both sides really). For the Texans it was basically a salary dump. Cleveland gets a 2nd rounder (and another late rounder). But, this is the Browns we are talking about that. Their track record isn't exactly good at executing on their opportunities when they are given the chances. Lucky for them, the Redskins have now become the most dysfunctional franchise in the NFL.