• Announcements

• Neo

WARNING!   07/26/16

By reading or participating in the Coffee House forum, you are acknowledging that some topics may be highly controversial in nature. While we make every attempt to ensure that no one and no groups are offended as a result of discussions contained within, we unfortunately can make no guarantees. Participate in threads contained within this forum at your own risk.
HopHead

Carolina Panthers

3 hours ago, AuLukey said:

The latter point was what I was referring to. I have already seen three articles by suburban journalists pointing out potential sites in their cities/counties and the (non-researched) potential economic impact they would have. It’s like they are rallying their readers to drum up support of these ideas. Those readers could then push their local politicians to start campaigning for this ridiculous pipe dream. Which, in turn, would only complicate any negotiations between the new owners and the city. Etc etc etc

In the end, I don’t see any city outside of Charlotte having the capital to make a serious move, but they certainly aren’t helping if they even try.

Thanks for clarifying. I agree with you. I really hope there is no serious consideration by any new owner to build a new stadium anywhere but uptown Charlotte. As many have suggested, I like the current location best and would prefer the stadium stay right there, even if the Panthers have to play at a college stadium if a new stadium is constructed.

• Like 1

Look, let’s talk dirty for a second. IF this thing gets to the point where we are looking at a new stadium, even looking down the road to 2030, then let’s aim for underdeveloped land within the loop. We could even pull an Atlanta and build it (practically) adjacent to the current stadium.

My nominee for future stadium site would be the insanely underdeveloped pie shape made by John Belk, 77, and Morehead. That area would leave enough room for a stadium, practice facility, as well as a tailgate lot or two. The main drawback would obviously be pedestrian connections to uptown over/under the rail tracks.

I’d honestly love for the current stadium, when it’s time comes, to be imploded and the land quartered off to extend the grid so that Graham continues on rather than turning into Stonewall.

In a perfect world though, Charlotte and the new owners would be completely satisfied with the current facility for decades to come. Maybe BoA could end up like Lambeau, Soldier, or Arrowhead. Civic pride and all that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AuLukey said:

My nominee for future stadium site would be the insanely underdeveloped pie shape made by John Belk, 77, and Morehead. That area would leave enough room for a stadium, practice facility, as well as a tailgate lot or two. The main drawback would obviously be pedestrian connections to uptown over/under the rail tracks.

I didn't read Morehead St initially and thought you were talking about Elmwood cemetery by the music factory lol. If it weren't a cemetery, would easily be the largest plot of undeveloped land and would bridge the disconnect of uptown and the music factory. I hope it stays where it is currently or somewhere within 277 tho. 

59 minutes ago, grodney said:

"John Kasay's missed field goal in the Super Bowl..."

What?  Kasay made his only attempt, a 50 yarder at that.

We know you meant his kickoff OB....we've all tried to expunge it from our memory!

Yea. I requested that be fixed. I was pretty drunk when I passionately (at least in my mind at the time)  wrote this.

Edited by ricky_davis_fan_21
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Yea. I requested that be fixed. I was pretty drunk when I passionately (at least in my mind at the time)  wrote this.

Good effort and I was on board with 95% of what you wrote (as everyone knows by now, I hate domes for football and basketball).

Edited by JBS

18 minutes ago, JBS said:

Good effort and I was on board with 95% of what you wrote.

was it the jerry orr, world class airport comment, because I had a hard time writing that. LOL. Probably the most #FakeNews thing I've ever said. Its undeniably an asset to the city, but its definitely not world class.

Edited by ricky_davis_fan_21
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

was it the jerry orr, world class airport comment, because I had a hard time writing that. LOL

I'm only on board with 80% of what I write so 95% is high praise...

• Like 2

Per MSN, Cam Newton has unfollowed the Panthers on his wildly popular Instagram account. Among other things, he doesn't want Jerry Richardson to sell the team.

#StandWithCam

6 hours ago, DMann said:

How about both the Falcons and the Saints getting knocked out!!!

It's torture watching the playoffs.  We beat half of the remaing teams and had a chance to beat the third.  I absolutely believe this was our year had we got some help for Cam late in the year. One thing I am going to be looking at closely is if the new owners will be less conservative when it comes to FA's.  I look at other teams and they seem to make moves late in the season if they think they have a shot at the title.  Lastly, I posted my thoghts about a new stadium in another thread and I think it's appropiate for this one.  

We have to get this right.  The timing of this is crucial to the continued growth of the region.

"As far as the stadium itself, I must admit that after watching the Vikings game yesterday I would love to have a domed entertainment facility in Charlotte.  However, unless the Carowids site is built up to essentially to a town center complete with mixed use, mass transit connection, retail and entertainment centered around the facility I would think an uptown location is choice number one.

Finally I'm going to address the elephant in the room.  NC and to a smaller degree Charlotte has taken some lumps publically/perception wise.  I think this timing is critical that the franchise and municipalities connected to the team get this right.  Charlotte has exploded mainly due to a favorable image to the public.  In this case the city CAN'T come across as having a small town mindset.  If we are to progress further than gamma status then this deal has to get done.  I know some folks don't like to hear it or look at it this way but I have done a ton of travelling and the one thing people tie a state or region to is a sports team.  Especially if that team is doing well.  It's crucial to recruiting relocation targets that a city and region can pull off mega deals, support local franchises and be looked at as a healthy market primed for growth."

8 hours ago, DMann said:

How about both the Falcons and the Saints getting knocked out!!!

I lost my voice watching that NO/MN game.  I have never enjoyed an outcome not involving my own team more than that one.  I was happy all night thinking of Payton, Brees, Jordan and Ginn.  I hate the Falcons but I detest the Saints.  

• Like 1

does anyone know anything about this $2.7 million permitted press box being built at BofA Stadium?  just saw it in the Business Journal building permits posted today but I am sure it from the last month or so.