Carolina Panthers

53 minutes ago, Vitamin_N said:

According to this tweet, the new owner does not want a new stadium. Let's hope that's the case...

The guy paid for the team in CASH.   It also seems he offered less than others but because his offer was in cash and not financing contingent. as well as, already being an owner it was accepted.  About the best thing possible for Charlotte taxpayers having an owner who does not need to extract every penny possible to pay down debt service.  

3 minutes ago, Vitamin_N said:

That's a garbage article.  They didn't want to move it to Columbia, they discussed moving it to the area around Carowinds (so, essentially leaving it in Charlotte).  Additionally, that "prospective owner" was almost certainly Felix Sabates (who had roughly the same odds as me for successfully buying the team).  I heard this on the radio this morning and it drove me crazy.  Journalism is dead.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

I hope so.  I love watching football at BofA. I think it is an icon of our skyline, so I'd hate to see it go.

A new stadium is an eventuality. The best possible scenario is we take a page out of Minneapolis' book. When the Metrodome collapsed due to snowfall a few years back, they had the Vikings play at the Golden Gophers' stadium for a couple seasons while the new U.S. Bank stadium was underway. That way they could reuse the same plot of land.

Unlike most teams building new stadiums. Denver, for example, erected their new stadium right next to the old Mile Hile Stadium, which would be virtually impossible for the Panthers to do. Given Bank of America's niche location and lack of real estate surrounding it, a new stadium gives us two options: completely relocate or do a rebuild a la Minnesota Vikings. The Vikings method is far superior given our unique location.

We have one of THE best proximity-to-downtown locations in the entire NFL. Our view is really only rivaled by the Steelers riverfront view. With Stonewall booming, it's only getting sweeter. Coughing up that land would be very regrettable.

I would with great pleasure make the trip to ANY college stadium in the Carolinas to watch a couple seasons of the Panthers while a new stadium is built on the exact same plot of land.

That aside, I think new stadium talks are a lot more premature than the media is making them out to be. 

• Like 2

I am curious what the value of the stadium was in the deal. Washington and Miami owners own their stadium. Rams/Chargers will play in the new stadium owned by the owner of the Rams when it is ready in a year or two. 

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/raiders-nfl/stadium-and-rent-details-for-all-32-nfl-teams/

The rest pay zero (Cincinnati) to several million $/year. Some are obvious sweetheart deals. What value is the Panther stadium and lease and operation agreements related to the team income?

4 hours ago, JBS said:

That's a garbage article.  They didn't want to move it to Columbia, they discussed moving it to the area around Carowinds (so, essentially leaving it in Charlotte).  Additionally, that "prospective owner" was almost certainly Felix Sabates (who had roughly the same odds as me for successfully buying the team).  I heard this on the radio this morning and it drove me crazy.  Journalism is dead.

Agree. Very misleading article. And while I don't agree that "journalism is dead" I will say that NATIONAL sports journalism is particularly bad and always has been. Locals always know the scoop better than national outlets. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Crucial_Infra said:

And while I don't agree that "journalism is dead"

You are correct.  That is definitely an overstatement.  Relative to 30 years ago, the quality is really bad (the economics of the business were decimated by the internet).  But journalism/journalists remain today (though they can be difficult to find).

• Like 1

If a stadium teardown and rebuild ever became the plan then I think a good plan would be for the Panthers to play one season at USC and the next at UNC. Of course not having them in the city for two years would be a bummer, but isn't the whole idea that the team "belongs" to both states? Would be a pretty good gesture on the part of the organization.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

If a stadium teardown and rebuild ever became the plan then I think a good plan would be for the Panthers to play one season at USC and the next at UNC. Of course not having them in the city for two years would be a bummer, but isn't the whole idea that the team "belongs" to both states? Would be a pretty good gesture on the part of the organization.

Chapel Hill doesn't have the gameday infrastructure or frankly the organization to pull it off imo. (I'm speaking as a longtime Chapel Hillian). Much better suited at NCSU or Clemson. USC obviously fine too. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, go_vertical said:

I like the idea of doing 1 season in each state (since it would take 2 seasons to complete). Very cool. Perhaps not those exact locations, but you’re definitely onto something.

Seating capacity is probably going to take precedence  over location in the event we go with the college option.

Edited by Hunted

IMO, Columbia should be the place for both seasons since it's the closest and most NFL-ready stadium (NC State isn't bad either).  I love Keenan more than all the stadiums in the Carolinas (even though I've only been to support the visiting team) but it can't host NFL games.  Since NC hosts from BOA, giving SC two seasons makes sense.  All that said, I hope it's 10+ years from now and that they rebuild in the same spot (if parking revenue is the goal it's unlikely).

On 5/16/2018 at 4:27 PM, Crucial_Infra said:

Chapel Hill doesn't have the gameday infrastructure or frankly the organization to pull it off imo. (I'm speaking as a longtime Chapel Hillian). Much better suited at NCSU or Clemson. USC obviously fine too. 

Woof.   When Da Bears played at Illinois getting down 55 was a nightmare (once you get south of Joliet you're basically in god's country for 2+ hours).  Clemson is still a good, what 2.5 hours away, on top of the fact that GSP is already a parking lot with all the construction going on.  

Nope nope nope; play the game at Charlotte Motor Speedway.  That would be dope AF.

Edited by Tyrone Wiggum
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, JBS said:

IMO, Columbia should be the place for both seasons since it's the closest and most NFL-ready stadium (NC State isn't bad either).  I love Keenan more than all the stadiums in the Carolinas (even though I've only been to support the visiting team) but it can't host NFL games.  Since NC hosts from BOA, giving SC two seasons makes sense.  All that said, I hope it's 10+ years from now and that they rebuild in the same spot (if parking revenue is the goal it's unlikely).

The good thing about someone as rich as Tepper is that the $10 million or so that parking revenue would bring in annually likely means little to nothing to him.

All along I wanted the team to be purchased by someone with FU money that only wants to own the team as a novelty of wealth. It seems we got someone like that, though that doesn't definitively mean he won't try to milk it for as much money as he can...it's just less likely than an ownership group like Sebates that seemed to be hellbent on trying to make as much money from the purchase as possible.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Links to 2 stories in today's  New York Times  (Sports Friday, 06/29/2018) regarding the N.F.L. fine against the owner of the Carolina Panthers, Jerry Richardson.  Richardson will have to pay a $2.75M  fine “after an investigation confirmed claims that for years he sexually harassed employees and made racist comments.”  Links: 

(1) https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/28/sports/football/jerry-richardson-nfl-panthers.html  --  New York Times, "Keeping Details Secret, N.F.L. Fines Panthers Owner for Misconduct at Work," by Victor Mather and Ken Belson, Sports Friday, June 29, 2018.

(2) https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/28/sports/panthers-jerry-richardson.html  -- New York Times, "A Toothless Investigation Slaps Jerry Richardson on the Wrist," by Michael Powell, Sports Friday, June 29, 2018.

29powellweb-1-threeByTwoSmallAt2X.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

Jerry Richardson, right, with N.F.L. Commissioner Roger Goodell.  

CreditKevin C. Cox/Getty Images North America

Edited by QCxpat
Add quote from NY Times story
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2018 at 9:16 AM, QCxpat said:

Links to 2 stories in today's  New York Times  (Sports Friday, 06/29/2018) regarding the N.F.L. fine against the owner of the Carolina Panthers, Jerry Richardson.  Richardson will have to pay a $2.75M  fine “after an investigation confirmed claims that for years he sexually harassed employees and made racist comments.”  Links: 

(1) https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/28/sports/football/jerry-richardson-nfl-panthers.html  --  New York Times, "Keeping Details Secret, N.F.L. Fines Panthers Owner for Misconduct at Work," by Victor Mather and Ken Belson, Sports Friday, June 29, 2018.

(2) https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/28/sports/panthers-jerry-richardson.html  -- New York Times, "A Toothless Investigation Slaps Jerry Richardson on the Wrist," by Michael Powell, Sports Friday, June 29, 2018.

29powellweb-1-threeByTwoSmallAt2X.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

Jerry Richardson, right, with N.F.L. Commissioner Roger Goodell.  

CreditKevin C. Cox/Getty Images North America

Mr. Tepper, tear down that statue...

• Like 1

People want to keep a statue (that is awful in the first place) celebrating a man who sexually harassed women in his employ for years (and then covered it up)?  Not to mention the racial comments?  Sheesh, I really can't understand people anymore...

The President of the United States is Donald Trump...

I think anyone making those kinds of remarks gets a pass right now.

EDIT: before I get called out on this, this post is not meant to be political. It’s a statement of where our nation is right now and what is considered acceptable when you use our president as a benchmark.

• Like 1