Carolina Panthers

Not a bad game. Definitely some things to work on; but we looked a LOT better all around. Jackson & Obada really came out of nowhere; glad to see some future stars on D. Patchwork O-Line held up somehow. And, man, CMC... Keep it up! Really not a lot to complain about besides Cam’s continued habit to overthrow. That, and I just wish we had given Anderson and Moore some more touches.

• Like 1

Love the Reid signing for so many reasons.  Unlike others, I like Colin Jones.  He has bailed us out a number of times over the years due to injuries and is awesome on special teams.  It's not his fault he isn't a starting safety.  Reid should have been signed a long time ago and though I'll always appreciate what Kurt Coleman did for us, this is definitely an upgrade.  I also love that we didn't let a stupid issue (a player peacefully protesting, the most American thing you can do) keep us from signing him (or trading for Torrey Smith, though he needs to play better).  We should now be Trump's least favorite team, with Tepper and now Reid.  That's good enough for me to buy some Panthers gear today...

Looking forward to that rematch with the Falcons!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

3-1 through the first quarter.  Man this team can look unstoppable and can look terrible.  So giving Atlanta their only win and Cincinatti their only loss makes some sense, I guess.

Next 4 are at WAS, at PHI, then home for BAL and TB......before a short week for Thu primetime.

Crazy field goal yesterday.  A win is a win.  That could end up being so important for the playoffs.

• Like 1

Not to suggest that the loss is on him, but awful passing by Cam at the end. Low confidence in this year's edition. But for Gano's golden leg, this team is 3-3 with all losses to losing teams.

🧐we are 3-2, and I’d put this is on Rivera not newton

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd put this L on DJ Moore.  Cam had a pretty good game except for that one int (which really ended up being the functional equivalent of a punt anyway).

I am pretty disappointed in what I see from Norv Turner thus far.  Aside from upping Cam's completion percentage, I am not seeing a huge difference in the offense and most of that can be attributed to short pitch and catch type tosses.  In exchange for greater completion percentage it seems as if Norv has thrown the deep ball out of the playbook despite Carolina having some lightning quick receivers.  On net Norv has done virtually nothing to stretch defenses, which is what we were all promised with the newfound speed in the receiving corps. 

And my 30% of the way through the season impression of our defense is that it's as porous as it's been in a long time which is surprising given the names on the roster.

edit: remember that time that Carolina passed up on Calvin Ridley to get DJ Moore?  Sounds like another Charlotte based professional team I know.

Edited by cltbwimob

u can't turn the ball over like we did &win. the only issue I have with Cam today were his last 2 throws, they still had timeouts left to try a qb run for the first. Turner is running the same offense Chud&Shula ran, he just put more emphasis on the short to medium routes ,,& the defense just needs to execute better period

Cam had a great 2nd half until the last 3 plays.  I have no idea why, with two timeouts and 40 plus seconds left we didn't get the first down instead of going to the end zone twice.  That game was winnable.  If you think DJ Moore is a bust then I can't help you.  The fumbles were unfortunate but every time he touches the ball I feel like he can score.  Ridley is great also but it's a different offense with Julio Jones and others getting the attention.  Moore would put up similar numbers in that offense.  Turner is nothing like Shula.  Occasionally he calls too many running plays (last week and first drive today) but overall he's been great.  He's calling fewer deep balls because we aren't completing them but Cam can still throw it deep if it's there.  Very frustrating game but we almost overcame 3 turnovers and a missed extra point on the road.  Now, about the defense, pretty bad.  Not enough pressure on the QB (better in 2nd half) and terrible against the run.  I would personally like more blitzing but clearly we need to get better on that side of the ball.  BTW, Buffalo beat the Vikings in Minnesota and TB beat NO on the road.  Any given Sunday...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JBS said:

Cam had a great 2nd half until the last 3 plays.  I have no idea why, with two timeouts and 40 plus seconds left we didn't get the first down instead of going to the end zone twice.  That game was winnable.  If you think DJ Moore is a bust then I can't help you.  The fumbles were unfortunate but every time he touches the ball I feel like he can score.  Ridley is great also but it's a different offense with Julio Jones and others getting the attention.  Moore would put up similar numbers in that offense.  Turner is nothing like Shula.  Occasionally he calls too many running plays (last week and first drive today) but overall he's been great.  He's calling fewer deep balls because we aren't completing them but Cam can still throw it deep if it's there.  Very frustrating game but we almost overcame 3 turnovers and a missed extra point on the road.  Now, about the defense, pretty bad.  Not enough pressure on the QB (better in 2nd half) and terrible against the run.  I would personally like more blitzing but clearly we need to get better on that side of the ball.  BTW, Buffalo beat the Vikings in Minnesota and TB beat NO on the road.  Any given Sunday...

Yep, I specifically referenced the last three passes, which were abysmal. The larger concern: low expectations for another year.

18 hours ago, nicholas said:

Wonder how much patience Tepper has with the coaching staff, because we look like utter s*** right now and are trending in the wrong direction. 

Love to see Eric Washington cripple one of the best pass rushes in the NFL by only bringing 4 every play. Need to put more pressure on quarterbacks with the questionable secondary.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

However, Cam Newton deserves about 99% of the credit for this win.  

How about when he was the lead blocker on that run play and the defender did everything he could to avoid him?  If there is another QB in league history with Cam's skill set and toughness, I don't know who it is.  To be clear, Wentz is probably a better QB (he was amazing yesterday until the last 3 plays, like Cam last week) but I get so much enjoyment out of watching Cam do what no one else can do (and still be a top 10 QB).  BTW, Philly fans are awful.  Comments on Philly.com were ripping Wentz and the entire organization.  Growing up in a house in Philly where my dad referred to HOFer Mike Schmidt as "an overpaid bum", I can see that nothing has changed.  

• 2 weeks later...