Carolina Panthers

In stead of focusing on that one play, the Patriots and their fans should have thought about what they didn't do the other 59+ minutes to win the game. Football is 60 minutes, not one play. Cam Newton and the Panthers played a great game and deserved the W. Too bad that's not the focus of the national media. Instead they are talking about how the Patriots lost.

This is probably a sign of good coaching, but both Brady and Gronk tried to deflect attention from the call/non-call.

"It just wasn't completed, and there was no flag," Gronkowski said of the play. "There was a flag, but it got called back. I don't even know why they threw it, and there's just no excuse. I'm not trying to be here to make excuses; [the Panthers are] a good football team, they scored more points than us and they beat us straight up."

"It is how it is now, and they took the call back and can't do anything about it," he also said. "And that's not when the game is [won] and [lost]. They're a very good team; they played tough all four quarters."

"I wish it wouldn't come down to that," Brady said. "I think there are plenty of plays we could have made. But it did, and they are going to make a call or they are not going to make a call. ... We can play better than that."

I do think we won the game, legitimately so, the "stain" though, don't know that it will go away in two days, well yes it will, but the league might still make a stink.  Gronk didn't have a chance at it no, I think the question is should there have been a hold called, which unlike a PI call would be called regardless of the catchability of the ball.  And would a replay have resulted in a touchdown, I think that is the issue.  That said, the "Hold" was a bit on the light side, it looks worse than it was, really he wasn't touching him much, like a phantom hug.

Ultimately, it is the Pats, and I do find irony in them acting as if they got a raw deal.

Gronk didn't have a chance at it no, I think the question is should there have been a hold called, which unlike a PI call would be called regardless of the catchability of the ball.  And would a replay have resulted in a touchdown, I think that is the issue.  That said, the "Hold" was a bit on the light side, it looks worse than it was, really he wasn't touching him much, like a phantom hug.

You're so right.  Mike&Mike made it out to be a mugging, and one of them said Luke "carried Gronk" out the back of the endzone, claiming Gronk would have been at the ball if Luke hadn't removed him.  Cripes.

I think your analysis is right on.  My brother in Nebr who is not a fan had this unbiased take: "I think gronk was trying to sell it.  If he would have put his foot in the ground to go for the ball.....then the lb would have knocked him down.  Then it would be a flag that sticks. If the lb didn't touch gronk......gronk still wasn't gonna get stopped and get back to the ball ahead of the dude that intercepted it.  It would have been a flag that stayed if the dude that caught it wasn't there."  

Ha ha, so there you go!

What ^you said.  ESPN loves it some Boston.  Everyone will forget about the flag in 2 days and we will still be 7-3.

And the funny thing too is that there was a blatant hold on the play where the Patriots scored a last second TD to beat the Saints several weeks ago. Yet, nobody talked about that in the media. It was all just another "Boston sports miracle".

I know I'm hopping in a bit late, but one thing I've heard no one mention post game or on any program is that Gronk doesn't appear to expect a flag during the final play and then reacts only when the flag caught his after a second or two of sitting on the ground. In that situation you would expect a guy to start pleading immediately or even during the play if he felt excessively obstructed. The slow motion replay certainly adds drama to the contact.

So besides from the whole "surprise" or disagreements for some about our win, has anyone ever wondered how busy and crowded uptown was and how much money this game has pumped into our economy? With a game of this caliber we must need more hotels and can support other amenities as well. Also, maybe this is good for the BOA stadium as well for expansion purposes.

I was a little bummed that there were practically zero city shots and no crowd shots at all outside of a few poor ones during the half-hour pre-game. There wasn't a single skyline shot which I thought was crazy...one aerial shot panned over the DEC as it was red/white/blue animated during the national anthem, but then after that every aerial was facing away from uptown.

^ was kind of hoping for some pics of that, don't know if just me and coincidental, but couldn't get the webcam of the Knights to load before, during and after the game.

BZdk72sCQAAHjYq.jpg

I too was disappointed at the amount of skyline shots during the game. There are usually TONS

^ Thank you sir.  As to the odd lack of TV shots, seems like this must have been due to the Back in Black theme, other than the eerie blue of Duke, buildings seemed intentionally unlit around the stadium when the game was first starting.  In hindsight, I think this was actually pretty cool and might have been a subtle demoralizing tactic against the Pats.

A lot of the city shots (bearden, bechtler, etc.) in and out of commercial (at least during pre-game) were from Monday morning (streets were wet, lots of fog).  If they wanted skyline shots then, it would have been too foggy.  I guess it's not surprising that perhaps they do most of their "city" shots the night before or the morning of.

It was windy during the game, which could have limited aerial shots.  Was there a blimp?  I recall at least one aerial shot where I could see something around 2nd base at BB&T, but couldn't make it out.  I see in one of the photos above that it was "KNIGHTS".

Somewhat related, during one of the pre-season games this year, they were doing a moving aerial shot of uptown.  It was presumably live, but when they got over to Bearden, it was still a parking lot -- a shot from many months ago.

A lot of the city shots (bearden, bechtler, etc.) in and out of commercial (at least during pre-game) were from Monday morning (streets were wet, lots of fog).  If they wanted skyline shots then, it would have been too foggy.  I guess it's not surprising that perhaps they do most of their "city" shots the night before or the morning of.

It was windy during the game, which could have limited aerial shots.  Was there a blimp?  I recall at least one aerial shot where I could see something around 2nd base at BB&T, but couldn't make it out.  I see in one of the photos above that it was "KNIGHTS".

Somewhat related, during one of the pre-season games this year, they were doing a moving aerial shot of uptown.  It was presumably live, but when they got over to Bearden, it was still a parking lot -- a shot from many months ago.

There def. was a blimp.  It hovered over south end for most of the game.

• 2 weeks later...

I certainly don't want to look past the Saints this Sunday, or anyone else in the following weeks, but RBR & Co. need to be thinking about how the hell one might actually beat the Seahawks at home, because that will be where we'll be playing them if we manage to take down everyone else.  Very scary.

We match up much better in Seattle than the Saints do.  The Saints are soft, they are a nerf ball team.  I'd be more worried about going into the Superdome than I would about going to Seattle, even after last night.

IF we make it to the NFC Championship in Seattle...that'll be one hard hitting, old time, football game.

Hopefully Charles Johnson is back so our pass rush can get after Drew Brees all night like Seattle did. Brees didn't have time to step into his throws very often last night.

Seattle's corners are significantly better than ours, but as long as Brees is pressured our guys will be fine.

Agree with all of this.  Getting CJ and DeAngelo back will be huge for us.  Rotating three backs and just running up the gut against the Saints appears to be the way to go.  And on defense, you said it, front 7 pressure.  We have issues in our secondary, but even I can cover an NFL WR if he only gets to run his route for a little more than a second.