Carolina Panthers

I actually think not having Kelvin has helped us an an offense. Having Kelvin missing has taught Cam to spread the ball, and to use his check downs, and find the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th option. We could be even more dangerous next season.

Nope, just saw something that said can we please stop talking about this, and was happy someone had said it.  Did not even pay attention to the fact that there was a link there.

No way!  I too played the game (HS and college) and coached (HS).   Lol, I hope Cam can keep up the "mediocre" play, most Panther fans will be quite happy.  In all seriousness, when Cam's play starts resembling anything close to mediocre, I'll be the first to say so.  He's come a longgg way in 5 years, and lost Steve Smith to boot.  Right now, he and Shula have DCs totally confused.  People forget that Cam only played 1 year of college football (FBS) and the learning curve would be steep. 

With all things being equal (given a solid LB core, ok D Line due to injury and J Stew), the two "main" reasons the Panthers are 8-0 are (1) Cam's improved football IQ and (2) an improved secondary.  He still needs to bump completion rate up 5-10% and think that'll happen naturally once he and the receiver core gel a bit more.  

This week, the DLine and LB will have to play the Titans version of Cam, Marcus M, who played 3 years of college ball and doesn't have as huge a learning curve.  It'll be a tough game to pull out...D gotta bring the heat else he'll pick the D apart.

Edited by Durhamite

Right now, he and Shula have DCs totally confused. 

Did they even run a single screen against the Packers?  That's been a huge play for them at times, whether it's a running back conventionally or whether it's Greg Olsen on the backside misdirection screen.  And they didn't even use it!  (In fact, I heard Dilfer essentially defending Cam's lower completion % because he rarely throws screens or "easy" passes, like most of the rest of the league; instead, he's handing the ball off which leads to the Panthers having a higher run % than any other team.)

Their arsenal is amazing.  

Yeah, sometimes Dixon misses a block and Philly Brown's reverse goes for -12, or maybe they'll guess wrong and handoff straight into a blitz.  But more often than not, it seems the defense is left guessing a lot.

18 Panthers are in the top 10 for their respective positions in voting for the 2016 Pro Bowl. Davis, Kuechly, Norman, and Kalil are all in first place. Olsen, Tolbert, and Webb are all in second place. Cam is currently sitting in sixth amongst QB's. The rest cover third through tenth. Pretty impressive. We could be looking at a Panther-heavy game.

edit: This is where things were as of yesterday. Obviously today could be different.

Edited by go_vertical

18 Panthers are in the top 10 for their respective positions in voting for the 2016 Pro Bowl. Davis, Kuechly, Norman, and Kalil are all in first place. Olsen, Tolbert, and Webb are all in second place. Cam is currently sitting in sixth amongst QB's. The rest cover third through tenth. Pretty impressive. We could be looking at a Panther-heavy game.

edit: This is where things were as of yesterday. Obviously today could be different.

Ideally, none of the Panthers will be playing because they'll be in the Super Bowl :)

Not to rehash the Cam convo, but Cam's actually 6th overall, not just QBs. I'd imagine he's top 3 in QB votes.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article44297862.html

Edited by MilZ

Unfortunately, next week is also going to be tough.  Even though the Redskins are not a great team, today they threw the Saints into the blender today and pureed them.  I hope the Panthers don't let their guard down.

On a more positive note, Carolina continues to stretch its lead over opposing NFC teams as Green Bay lost again.

My ultimate hope and dream...Carolina goes undefeated for the rest of the season and post season, goes to Superbowl 50 in their 20th year as a franchise, plays New England, and wins with a field goal as time expires (payback).  All will be well in the NFL then.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 2

Unfortunately, next week is also going to be tough.  Even though the Redskins are not a great team, today they threw the Saints into the blender today and pureed them.  I hope the Panthers don't let their guard down.

On a more positive note, Carolina continues to stretch its lead over opposing NFC teams as Green Bay lost again.

My ultimate hope and dream...Carolina goes undefeated for the rest of the season and post season, goes to Superbowl 50 in their 20th year as a franchise, plays New England, and wins with a field goal as time expires (payback).  All will be well in the NFL then.

I have no problem with that.  But would like the Panthers beats New England by 20 points.

• Like 1

Yes next weeks game looks tougher than it did a few weeks ago, but they did play the Saints today who have no defense whatsoever. I have no idea how Rob Ryan is still employed in the NFL. Every team he has coached for has had a decline in defense every year he has been there. That being said, I hope the Saints keep him on their staff for many years to come. 

Edited by eastsider
spelling

2 hours ago, ah59396 said:

I talked to Cam earlier today and he gave me some crow for a couple of you to eat...

I wonder how Cam got his hands on the crow.  Perhaps Funches and Ginn caught a few as they flew by.  I heard there's plenty of crow left over for those who chose to hate on the receiving corps earlier in the season.

15 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

I wonder how Cam got his hands on the crow.  Perhaps Funches and Ginn caught a few as they flew by.  I heard there's plenty of crow left over for those who chose to hate on the receiving corps earlier in the season.

This receiving corps is still sub-par.  But Funchess has made incredible strides this season, so I'll gladly eat crow for him.