Carolina Panthers

On 7/28/2015, 11:20:17, grodney said:

Man I'm ready for some football.  Schedule analysis follows.

@JAX, HOU, NO, @TB - Hopefully NO and TB still suck.  Hope CAR doesn't think JAX will be a cakewalk in week 1 -- a loss there to start the season would be very disappointing.  Get 4 wins.

@SEA, PHI (sun night), IND (mon night), GB - Yikes.  Thank god 3 of these are at home.  I believe this is the year CAR vanquishes SEA, much like the Bulls finally beating the Pistons.  But I'm not sure if it will be in the regular season or in the playoffs. 

@TEN, WAS, @DAL (t-giving), @NO - Don't mess around and lose to TEN or WAS.  DAL and NO will be tough on the road, even if NO still sucks.

ATL, @NYG, @ATL, TB - Hope ATL and TB still suck.  Suck it up and get a cold win Dec 20 at NYG.

19-0

Really though, stay healthy.  That is of chief importance.

Quoting myself from July, as we're now at the 3/4 mark.  Mission accomplished on taking care of TEN and WAS.  DAL wasn't as tough as they could have been, and even though NO still sucks it's always dangerous to play in their house -- glad to have gotten that win in whatever way possible.  And glad to be done in NO for the season.

Now for the final 4.  I hope ATL truly has regressed to their form of last year.  TB looks stronger all the time.  NYG haven't looked strong, but that's not an easy win at their place.

19-0.  But really, keep staying healthy.  There are so many devastating injuries around the league, every single week.

• Like 3

Correct me if I am wrong, aren't we at the very worst guaranteed a 2 seed? Sky is falling: we finish 12-4 and GB and Vikings best case is they finish 12-4 and I believe we own the tie break over both.....giving us the 2 seed at worst? 

That said, if the Panthers win next week and AZ loses, they secure the 1 seed.

Is this all correct?

Edited by Jayvee

36 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Correct me if I am wrong, aren't we at the very worst guaranteed a 2 seed? Sky is falling: we finish 12-4 and GB and Vikings best case is they finish 12-4 and I believe we own the tie break over both.....giving us the 2 seed at worst? 

That said, if the Panthers win next week and AZ loses, they secure the 1 seed.

Is this all correct?

The NFL playoff page doesn't show a clinched first-round bye, so there must be some scenario where they haven't clinched the 2-seed at worst.  Maybe the tie-breaker is CONF record?  I don't know.

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture

For any stat junkies out there, fivethirtyeight now has the Panthers just 1 ELO point behind the Patriots, but also the favorite to win the Super Bowl.  ERMAHGERD!

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2015-nfl-predictions/

• Like 1

^^^Right now, Carolina has clinched at least a 3rd seed, but the second seed is still up for grabs because there are two 8-4 teams in the NFC-Minnesota and Green Bay-so theoretically, if those teams won out and Carolina lost out, you would have a scenario where there are three 12-4 teams. 

I believe Green Bay is irrelevant to the seeding picture because we won the head-to-head match up.  However since we don't have a game scheduled with Minnesota this year, I believe it would revert to win-loss-tie percentage within the conference.  If the Vikings win the rest of their season (and Carolina loses the rest of their games), I believe they would get seeded higher than the Panthers because they would have a 9-3 conference record to Carolina's 8-4 conference record under such a hypothetical scenario.  If Carolina wins any one of their last four games, or if Minnesota loses any of their last four, I believe Carolina clinches a first-round bye. 

Right now I am pretty sure we will get a first round bye.  I don't see the Panthers losing every single game from here on out and I don't see Minnesota beating every other team, especially since they play the Cards next week.  I know stranger things have happened, but that scenario is pretty far fetched from a probability standpoint.  What I am more concerned with at this point is that we do not end up in a scenario where we have to play the Seahawks or the Cardinals at least not until the NFC championship. 

11 hours ago, HopHead said:

Cam Newton won NFL Offensive Player of the week for the 3rd time in 5 weeks. First time that's been done since Tom Brady did it in 2007. Oh damn that mediocre QB... #CaMVP

Lets hear from the haters...

IMG_5641.gif.5774e87c33369e50301d3113bc5

Nope, haters still won't shut up about his (non-4th quarter) QBR and it's getting old.  It is pretty strange when you look at how inconsistent his stats are (except when it matters most.) 

But who cares?  You know how many QB's have more wins than Cam this year?

EDIT: flashback - remember where the Panthers were a year ago? 4-8-1 and Cam had just fractured two vertebrae when he flipped his truck on the Church St-277 Bridge.

#CamVP

Edited by AuLukey

I'm comfortable proclaiming Cam as the MVP at this point.  I'm happy to admit how WRONG I was earlier in the year when I argued that, while I knew he was better than mediocre, I didn't think he was MVP caliber.  Well, he is.  He will win it.  And it's a DAMN good time to be a Panthers fan!!

#keeppounding

Cam_Newton_Week_2_Panthers_Preseason_Scr

• Like 4

On October 6, 2015 at 11:09 PM, cltbwimob said:

^^^Have to agree that Cam is a mediocre Quarterback.  He is great at running the ball when he needs to get out of a jam, but if you look at his passing stats, mediocre would be an improvement for him.  In his 5 seasons in the NFL he has only had 3 where he even broke into the top half in terms of rating, and for those three seasons he was ranked 15, 15, and 16- hardly elite numbers.  Last season he was ranked 26th and this year he is ranked 19th overall.  Furthermore his total passing yards have fallen pretty much every season since his rookie year, and he only has one season to his name where he had an overall completion percentage greater than 60%.  Cam has a tendency to air the long ball into lots of traffic, and he seems to flush himself out of the pocket (when there actually is a pocket) quite a bit although he is getting better about not doing that.  It's hard for me to fathom him being MVP-worthy.

I officially retract the above statement.  When I made the statement, it was early in the season, and I saw some of the mistakes that I noticed in the past.  Clearly the Cam we see today looks every bit as good as any other elite QB in the league.  His former accuracy issues at this point are pretty much non existent, and because he has a howitzer of an arm it's very hard for a defense to pick him even if they do get a good read on him.  

I believe that RDF hit the nail on the head when he said that losing Kelvin Benjamin may have been the best thing to ever happen to him for his growth as a QB in the sense that it caused him to not be overly reliant on one individual.  Now he has targets all over the field, and when he does get his star receiver back, I believe his passing stats will go ballistic.

The Panthers as a team are unbelievable right now.  They have talent up and down the roster, every one seems to gel, and in general they play as if they are not just a team but a group of brothers.  While the team is certainly not unstoppable (the NO game last week proved that) it is starting to look like the NFL equivalent of a freight train.  I hope they can keep playing at this level throughout the playoffs.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

I officially retract the above statement.  When I made the statement, it was early in the season, and I saw some of the mistakes that I noticed in the past.  Clearly the Cam we see today looks every bit as good as any other elite QB in the league.  His former accuracy issues at this point are pretty much non existent, and because he has a howitzer of an arm it's very hard for a defense to pick him even if they do get a good read on him.  

I believe that RDF hit the nail on the head when he said that losing Kelvin Benjamin may have been the best thing to ever happen to him for his growth as a QB in the sense that it caused him to not be overly reliant on one individual.  Now he has targets all over the field, and when he does get his star receiver back, I believe his passing stats will go ballistic.

The Panthers as a team are unbelievable right now.  They have talent up and down the roster, every one seems to gel, and in general they play as if they are not just a team but a group of brothers.  While the team is certainly not unstoppable (the NO game last week proved that) it is starting to look like the NFL equivalent of a freight train.  I hope they can keep playing at this level throughout the playoffs.

As a long time Panthers fan, I'm so so scared they are going to shatter me with a playoff loss.  ugh, I'm already getting worried just thinking about it.

Also, who ever would have thunk freaking Kurt Coleman would ball out like he has been?  Tied for the league lead in INT's!

• Like 1

But the injury to Benwikere is a pretty big blow considering Tillman's slow recovery and our thin CB roster.  Gettleman is gonna have to find a CB on the market, and fast.  Or, Rivera is gonna need to get that secondary back in order. Hopefully some rest is much needed after this next game. 

The Benwikere injury definitely does hurt some. Though, I think they can cover that up fairly easily as long as Tillman can get back to near 100%. Gettleman has been masterful at finding guys. One of the things this team has done so well this year is step up when someone goes down. So much depth on this roster.. 

• Like 1

Not news to anyone keeping up with the news, but it hasn't been mentioned here as of yet.

No Stewart on Sunday. Not the end of the world as long as Fozzy can pick up the slack. But a potential spoiler game is possible now. Next Man Up is critical for this one.

Keeping the faith nevertheless. 16-0

On 12/18/2015 at 2:25 AM, AuLukey said:

Not news to anyone keeping up with the news, but it hasn't been mentioned here as of yet.

No Stewart on Sunday. Not the end of the world as long as Fozzy can pick up the slack. But a potential spoiler game is possible now. Next Man Up is critical for this one.

Keeping the faith nevertheless. 16-0

Well, our chances for dominating them are definitely lessened, but the Giants are pretty terrible at blocking runs so I think Fozzy will fare well. I want to see Tolbert utilized a little more, and not just for short yardage. He has been the most impressive when given the chance to build some momentum around the outside this season. 

Anyway, NFL.com and Sports Illustrated are picking the Giants this week. *facepalm*

18 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

Well, our chances for dominating them are definitely lessened, but the Giants are pretty terrible at blocking runs so I think Fozzy will fare well. I want to see Tolbert utilized a little more, and not just for short yardage. He has been the most impressive when given the chance to build some momentum around the outside this season. 

Anyway, NFL.com and Sports Illustrated are picking the Giants this week. *facepalm*

I'm kinda glad they're  still getting no respect.  We saw what happened last time someone picked an NFC East team to beat them.  Not saying it will happen this time, but they seem to get an extra bit of fuel from the pundits picking against them.  I wish the pundit establishment would pick against them more often, I think it makes them play at another level.