Carolina Panthers

3 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Ron announced Tillman tore his ACL. Out for the remainder of the season obviously. They're gonna need people to step up big time. That secondary is decimated. 

It sucks, but Tillman was basically playing on borrowed time since that ACL was already partially torn. He is also a great leader and mentor for a lot of these guys in the secondary, so that is a positive. Robert McClain, who played really well yesterday, will start in his place. He's been in McDermott's system before so it's not like he's coming in cold off the street. Also, Kurt Coleman will be back for the playoffs. The front 7 getting more pressure on the QB will be critical now though. 

12 minutes ago, HopHead said:

It sucks, but Tillman was basically playing on borrowed time since that ACL was already partially torn. He is also a great leader and mentor for a lot of these guys in the secondary, so that is a positive. Robert McClain, who played really well yesterday, will start in his place. He's been in McDermott's system before so it's not like he's coming in cold off the street. Also, Kurt Coleman will be back for the playoffs. The front 7 getting more pressure on the QB will be critical now though. 

I was gonna ask that.....so of the major players not out for the season: Ginn, Stewart and Coleman, they'll all be back right?

Edited by Jayvee

2 hours ago, AuLukey said:

It's a shame that Kelvin can't participate in the post-season due to a pre-season injury.  Seems like he's getting around pretty well these days.

Had the same thought a few weeks back. Wish the team would update us on how he's doing.

^I can tell you as a person who has torn their ACL once that he may appear fine but he is likely not close to ready to return to the field. After about two months you are typically able to walk perfectly fine and maybe even jog slightly but a full recovery (full strength and lack of scar tissue) usually takes 6-8 months. The ACL really is an injury which just takes patience and time to heal, otherwise you risk reinjuring it.

Edited by ajfunder

The Panthers' 2016-2017 opponents (but not schedule) has been posted. Yet again we are playing Seattle. That marks the fifth consecutive season (not including pre/post-season) after having only played them five times since the realignment previously. I'm getting the feeling that the NFL is trying to force a non-division rivalry.

Granted, I realize that it was the Panthers' turn to play the NFC West anyway. It's still pretty interesting that they keep meeting lately. Too bad the Panthers are only 2-8 all-time against the Seahawks including this years win. Facing the 12th man again... Man. Even at the Georgia Dome (where half in attendance had blue & black on) it was incredibly loud compared to BOA stadium. We need to find a way to get our fans into the games when it matters most.

Away games vs Oakland, Denver, Seattle, & St Louis/LA all mean long flights for the Panthers, here's hoping we win the Super Bowl and the bandwagon stays strong.

http://m.panthers.com/s/30848/embeddedNewsPath?itemUri=-2115520147/1810038125812412321313515119

1 hour ago, AuLukey said:

Man. Even at the Georgia Dome (where half in attendance had blue & black on) it was incredibly loud compared to BOA stadium. We need to find a way to get our fans into the games when it matters most.

Give this poor guy some tickets and I promise to have no voice by the end of the game.  On a serious note, I really think this is the issue at hand, a lot of people who attend our games do it just to say they were there and don't really get into the game. That's changed a lot the last few years, but we have a loooooong way to go before we're respected as a fan base.  If the upper and lower bowl's could switch spots for a game, I think there would be a very noticeable difference in crowd noise and enthusiasm.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AuLukey said:

The Panthers' 2016-2017 opponents (but not schedule) has been posted. Yet again we are playing Seattle. That marks the fifth consecutive season (not including pre/post-season) after having only played them five times since the realignment previously. I'm getting the feeling that the NFL is trying to force a non-division rivalry.

Granted, I realize that it was the Panthers' turn to play the NFC West anyway. It's still pretty interesting that they keep meeting lately. Too bad the Panthers are only 2-8 all-time against the Seahawks including this years win. Facing the 12th man again... Man. Even at the Georgia Dome (where half in attendance had blue & black on) it was incredibly loud compared to BOA stadium. We need to find a way to get our fans into the games when it matters most.

Away games vs Oakland, Denver, Seattle, & St Louis/LA all mean long flights for the Panthers, here's hoping we win the Super Bowl and the bandwagon stays strong.

http://m.panthers.com/s/30848/embeddedNewsPath?itemUri=-2115520147/1810038125812412321313515119

Just a note: the schedules aren't "picked" by anyone. Every year our non-divisional NFC opponents are 4 teams from 1 other division (rotating) and 1 team from both of the remaining divisions who finished where we did in the NFC South. We've been playing Seattle every year because we keep winning our respective divisions, the same reason we will play the NFC West, Minnesota and Washington next year.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say that the Packers would have been a cakewalk for the Panthers either. Rodgers and that offense were humming in the 2nd half against the Redskins. Though, the Redskins aren't that good of a team and only in the playoffs because they played in the worst division in football. I'm glad Seattle is coming to town. I want nothing more than to see the Panthers be the ones to knock them out. 

• Like 1

I'm not the least bit surprised by how the Seahawks came back in the 2nd half. Honestly, i would have been disappointed if they didn't mount something. There's a reason why they have been to two straight Super Bowls. On the flip side, the Panthers can't go into that play not to lose mode again. They were good enough (and maybe a little lucky) to hold off in the end. Can't wait for next weekend though. First NFC Championship game ever IN Charlotte. It will be epic. 

That game was all about poor coaching and play calling in the second half.  Even Cam was getting frustrated with the super conservative plays that were being called.  He was caught on live TV saying "I can't keep my f*n cool" at one point.  Good thing he can afford the fines!

I firmly believe that it's not the players that let our opponents get back in the game; it's the coordinators.  I don't understand why Rivera doesn't step in and tell them to stop playing it so safe.  Playing to prevent the big plays --which you weren't allowing in the first place-- isn't the way to go when there is that much time left.  It's really no wonder that none of our staff got pulled for any of the head coaching jobs after the regular season, they comfortably take their foot off the gas way too early more often than not.

Honestly, at the end of the half, I was looking forward to Derek Anderson getting some time under center.

If we play safe against the Cardinals at any point on Sunday, Fitzgerald is going to carve us up like a Thanksgiving turkey.

On the bright side, every game this week was decided by a touchdown, that makes pretty good television.

I see Superbowl XXXVIII retribution in the works.

Edited by AuLukey

55 minutes ago, AuLukey said:

That game was all about poor coaching and play calling in the second half.  Even Cam was getting frustrated with the super conservative plays that were being called.  He was caught on live TV saying "I can't keep my f*n cool" at one point.  Good thing he can afford the fines!

I firmly believe that it's not the players that let our opponents get back in the game; it's the coordinators.  I don't understand why Rivera doesn't step in and tell them to stop playing it so safe.  Playing to prevent the big plays --which you weren't allowing in the first place-- isn't the way to go when there is that much time left.  It's really no wonder that none of our staff got pulled for any of the head coaching jobs after the regular season, they comfortably take their foot off the gas way too early more often than not.

Honestly, at the end of the half, I was looking forward to Derek Anderson getting some time under center.

If we play safe against the Cardinals at any point on Sunday, Fitzgerald is going to carve us up like a Thanksgiving turkey.

On the bright side, every game this week was decided by a touchdown, that makes pretty good television.

I see Superbowl XXXVIII retribution in the works.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but at the same time, we've won every game where we played conservative after taking a big lead and burning the clock.  And at the end of the day, isn't the point to win?  Who cares how ugly it is?

21 hours ago, ah59396 said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but at the same time, we've won every game where we played conservative after taking a big lead and burning the clock.  And at the end of the day, isn't the point to win?  Who cares how ugly it is

Oh yea, I totally agree. A win is a win is a win is a win. I'll take it no matter how it comes. Even if the outcome is a no-call Keuchley pass-interference call when Gronkowski is in the endzone.

EDIT: formatting

Edited by AuLukey