Carolina Panthers

3 minutes ago, HopHead said:

Messy weather will definitely hamper the Cardinals style of offense and make them more dependent on the run. So, bring on the snow :) Besides, how awesome would it be to have snow for the NFC title game? 

It would be great. Just let me land safely for the game. Thats all I ask!!!!!!!!

Forecasts I'm seeing say that the precip will be done before midnight Saturday night.  So even if it moves later a few hours, that's still plenty of time to keep the field covered and be nice and dry for the game Sunday evening (well, probably "dry" like last Sunday).  Of course we're still several days out, so accuracy is questionable.

I see weather as a non-factor in the game this week if maybe only causing poor field conditions with the sod again.  That seemed to help us out some this past week.  I'd say the main concern would be ice inside the stadium (concrete steps, salt can only do so much in a facility that large.)  It's a shame that there will be sloppy conditions because this is the biggest game in BoA/Ericson Stadium's history.  Took 20 years to land the NFC Championship in Charlotte, let's make it count! 

Side note: Having poor weather for this major game won't help our chances of (ever) getting a Super Bowl either.

As of right now the weather is saying mostly rain with little/no accumulation of snow and ice.  It's supposed to be 50 and sunny on Sunday, so if there is any it will surely melt well before the game at 6:40pm.

And to your note Aulukey - remember two years ago when the Super Bowl was in New York they barely dodged a major ice storm.  So there still is hope for us!

So chances are looking really good that we will have a damaging ice storm in Charlotte this weekend. Having been through a damaging ice storm in Charlotte before let me tell you it is no fun. Even though the weather for Sunday is fine it is quite possible that most of the city will still not have power to be able to watch the game.

If the Arizona Cardinals don't fly to Charlotte today I would say their chances of getting into Charlotte on Friday or Saturday are very low. So they would have to fly in on Sunday...if that is the case that would give a slight edge to the Panthers. However do you think the Panthers will still practice on Fri/Sat in the freezing rain/snow? Man that would be horrible.

9 minutes ago, uptownliving said:

So chances are looking really good that we will have a damaging ice storm in Charlotte this weekend. Having been through a damaging ice storm in Charlotte before let me tell you it is no fun. Even though the weather for Sunday is fine it is quite possible that most of the city will still not have power to be able to watch the game.

If the Arizona Cardinals don't fly to Charlotte today I would say their chances of getting into Charlotte on Friday or Saturday are very low. So they would have to fly in on Sunday...if that is the case that would give a slight edge to the Panthers. However do you think the Panthers will still practice on Fri/Sat in the freezing rain/snow? Man that would be horrible.

The Panthers will still practice regardless of the weather, though they may shift the times around a bit. The day before is usually a walk through so they would likely just do it at the convention center or a ballroom at one of the hotels, which has been done plenty before (why don't they have an indoor practice facility again?). Regarding the Cardinals, most NFL teams stay at the Ballantyne resort when they play the Panthers. They are supposed to arrive Friday. I would imagine if there are delays at Charlotte they could redirect their charter flight to another airport south of here and take the buses up. I don't know that it will be a huge disadvantage for them. By this point, both teams game plans are set. 

6 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

They have an indoor practice field don't they?

If you want to call the convention center an indoor facility, then yes... That's what they use when there is inclement weather. 

50 minutes ago, grodney said:

It's gonna be beautiful Sunday....sunny and 46 with light winds.  BRING IT.  (Obviously cooler by kickoff at 6:40pm.)  RDF you going straight from the game to the airport and just "sleeping" there?

I'm flying in around 10am Sunday, and I'm flying out at 5:45am Monday morning and going straight to work. 

49 minutes ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

Dude, you are not flying anywhere Sunday Morning...rotfl...you might want to watch your local forecast...Blizzard Watch...just sayin

trust me. I'm worried as hell. The forecast has the snow ending in the middle of the night, with only lingering flurries when I am supposed to fly.

Edited by Guest

34 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

trust me. I'm worried as hell. The forecast has the snow ending in the middle of the night, with only lingering flurries when I am supposed to fly.

Airline operations will likely be pretty messed up though with significant delays and cancellations still lingering Sunday if this is bad. They may start canceling inbound flights to the Northeast tonight to keep their aircraft in the warm hubs without ice and snow. Then some morning flights on Sunday will be canceled or delayed until the inbound aircraft arrive from the warm hubs after the snow is cleared.

23 minutes ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

I am worried about the game sunday. Some are saying 1/2 inch of ice for Charlotte. If there are wide spread power outages the stands could be empty. How are people flying from out of town going to get there too? Arizona fans better be leaving today!

I'm worried too. The line of cars driving in from SC and counties surrounding Mecklenburg could disappear if the roads are covered in ice and people can't get out of their driveway.

That snow in NYC could last into sunday morning though. The low pressure is forecast to be VERY strong which means the wrap around moisture could linger into sunday morning for NYC. Most of the heavier precip as of now should stay south of there...but as we all know...anything can happen!

North Carolina and Virginia are going to be hit the hardest it looks like. North Carolina probably worst because of ice

I would be far more worried about the weather if the game was on Saturday and not Sunday. And if Charlotte was a few hours north. Temps will be in the mid 40s during the day on Sunday. People won't have any problems commuting into town. And lets be honest, a little foul weather isn't going to prevent most people from going to the possible once in a lifetime game. Hell, I'll walk there if I had to. 

Edited by HopHead

I think you will be fine. The only people on Sunday who will have to worry are the ones leaving from the NE heading to Charlotte (Like NYC and Jersey area) Maybe the ones leaving from CHarlotte too if the storm is as bad as predic

29 minutes ago, ajfunder said:

I'm flying in at 11:45am from Denver on Sunday. Chances I make it? I'm very concerned.

ted, because of back ups.

2 hours ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

I am worried about the game sunday. Some are saying 1/2 inch of ice for Charlotte. If there are wide spread power outages the stands could be empty. How are people flying from out of town going to get there too? Arizona fans better be leaving today!

What better reason to GO to the game.  No one is going to sit in a powerless house when they have tickets for the game.  45 and sunny Sunday mean there will be no problem getting uptown.  Parking lots may be a mess (if in the shade) but that is it. Out of town folks, if not coming in today or Sunday morning might be SOL though. 

We have tickets and we will walk the 11 miles if I have to get to the stadium. 

• Like 1

American Airlines has canceled all flights to and from Charlotte for their Friday schedule and is canceling today's flights that would be the last one of the day to Charlotte. Washington Reagan, Philadelphia, and NYC-JFK hubs are also affected. They are doing a wait and see approach for the Saturday schedule as they figure out where to position planes and crew based in Charlotte for getting back to the hub to operate their normal routes Saturday.

They have already announced that no planes will RON (remain over night) at any airports impacted by the storm, including Charlotte. Flights that arrive in Charlotte tonight and were scheduled to sit at the gate over night have been canceled to keep the plane out of the storm. Red eyes departing tonight that arrive in the AM are currently being canceled. Saturday morning flights will have to await planes to arrive before the morning schedule can begin. So a 6AM or 7AM departure Saturday will probably be delayed as the aircraft won't be there in the AM until American flies planes back in from other hubs and remote airports not impacted by the storm. Going to impact people flying in tonight, Friday and Saturday.

Charlotte alone carries about 10% of all travelers flying on American Airlines each day.

Edited by CLT2014