Carolina Panthers

Humiliating loss.

The entire NFL has been that way this season. Patriots lost big in week 1. Jacksonville has had two convincing victories while having a crushing defeat as well. The Raiders got smeared by the Redskins right after blowing out the Jets and Titans. It just goes to show you that your team is never safe, no matter who the opponent is.

My worry is that we seem to be very injury prone this season...

^^If you don’t count the last two Patriots drives... I thought with Sean McDermott gone we wouldn’t see weak zone coverage for an entire quarter. Playing safe just because we have a lead is a great way of finding a way to lose. Especially against QB’s like Brady.

50 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Man, I literally just got finished watching that press conference lol...right when he said that, I knew the media/ppl would pick up on that.  I know he meant no harm with that comment but like the article headlines....C'Mon Man!  Wish he would have followed-up with an "I'm just messing/joking" and played it off but...with his influence/stature, he can't really be saying those types of things these days..  

Edit: whelp, that didn't take long.

C1n.png.bafae08143ba118611b3cec1690e4522.png

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz

^^^Yep, the past two games it's looked eerily similar to 2015.  Cam is using his legs a bit, his passing game looks good, defense is exceptional for about 3 quarters, Panthers build a solid lead only to almost blow it in the 4th quarter while playing not to lose.  

Edited by cltbwimob

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

This is the 3rd year in a row where they just love to tank the fourth quarter. That’s 100% coaching and conditioning. 

Coaching but likely not conditioning.  It was clear that after the last touchdown and before the field goal that they were content and the play calling was all about running clock (even though the best way to run the clock is to get first downs).  The defense was on the field a lot as a result and Stafford always is a beast in the fourth quarter.  They really need to keep their foot on the gas until the end but for some reason they just don't.  Philly looks very tough but it's clear now that Panthers can play with anyone when Cam is right.  On a side note, I've never seen Luke look more human...

Eagles do look tough, but then so did the Lions. My biggest concern is our division. The way the Saints manhandled both sides of the ball in Week 3 does not bode well.

I no longer think it was McDermott that caused all those terrible fourth quarters in years past. I now feel like it is Rivera’s game plan. If we can get Kalil healthy, then we’ll have a ground game again and can run in the fourth. Until then, keep doing what was working the first three quarters.

Both defense’s did an excellent job in this game. Their defense just got their takeaways with a short field for their offense. Only one of those INTs were Cam’s fault though.

Oh, and what in the actual f*** was with Shula’s play calling those last two drives? There was ZERO reason to try and score a touchdown 3 times from midfield when there was 350 left on the clock. If we had scored, that would’ve given the Eagles ample time to get a field goal. We had a great drive going and stalled because we wanted a TD.

1 hour ago, AuLukey said:

Both defense’s did an excellent job in this game. Their defense just got their takeaways with a short field for their offense. Only one of those INTs were Cam’s fault though.

Oh, and what in the actual f*** was with Shula’s play calling those last two drives? There was ZERO reason to try and score a touchdown 3 times from midfield when there was 350 left on the clock. If we had scored, that would’ve given the Eagles ample time to get a field goal. We had a great drive going and stalled because we wanted a TD.

Diagnosis: sheer panic

I've never been big on bashing Shula because I think execution is a big part of our issue.

However last night, we threw the ball 3x, deeper than 20 yards, with 3 minute remaining.  On 4th and 1, with the best rushing QB in the history of the game (especially in short yardage) we lined up in the shotgun and threw it.  Cam clearly tweaked his shoulder earlier after diving for the endzone, but we are throwing...

Shula is clearly in his own head at this point.  His play calling just looks out of rhythm.  We may need a change there.

Lastly, as a Panthers fan, it pains me so much to say this, but Luke Kuechly should retire.  3 concussions in 3 straight years, he's only 26 years old.  He has a long life to live post football and that life is far more important than a game.  I hope he takes time to speak with the right people and make the decision that is best for his long term health.  Despite how crushing it will be to lose him.  Ugh.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dale said:

I guess there's no shame in losing to a better team. And the Eagles are clearly a better team.

Bigger concern: how much longer can Luke play with his concussions ?

I'm not sure you can say that they are clearly a better team when Panthers had two good opportunities at the end to win in a 5 point loss and two of the turnovers were pretty flukey (particularly Stewart's) and led to 14 points.  Philly was better last night but if Carolina won by 2 I wouldn't conclude that Panther's are clearly better.  I'm not sure that we are better than NE or Detroit either.

Agree completely on Luke, he should retire.

3 hours ago, AuLukey said:

Felt the same way but apparently we threw long because Philly had no safety on the field for those plays.  Maybe they were trying to get us to throw long?  Don't know if that was Shula or an audible at the line of scrimmage.

42 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

Lastly, as a Panthers fan, it pains me so much to say this, but Luke Kuechly should retire.  3 concussions in 3 straight years, he's only 26 years old.  He has a long life to live post football and that life is far more important than a game.  I hope he takes time to speak with the right people and make the decision that is best for his long term health.  Despite how crushing it will be to lose him.  Ugh.

Unfortunately, I agree completely.  Last night should be his last game and it is crushing as a Panther fan to say that.  Dan Morgan's career was similar (though as great as he was, he wasn't as good as LK, an all-timer if he could stay healthy).  

16 minutes ago, Dale said:

To my eye, Philly is just flat-out faster at key positions, or at least quicker to the ball. I don't think this was an "any give night" scenario. I'd guess that Eagles beat Panthers 4 out of 5 games.

As good as our defensive line is, theirs is better.  They put pressure on Cam all night without having to blitz.  On that we agree.

• 2 weeks later...