Carolina Panthers

Cam played great.  Overall, I thought the team played well enough to win but just made a few too many mistakes.  Went from 6-10 to 11-5 and I think they are poised for another step next year.  The injury to Curtis Samuel in the Miami game was a killer in retrospect as he was just becoming a factor.  Cam is still young enough to win a SB or two, in my opinion.  

I will say that my hate for the Saints and their fans now exceeds my hate for all things Falcons.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JBS said:

Cam played great.  Overall, I thought the team played well enough to win but just made a few too many mistakes.  Went from 6-10 to 11-5 and I think they are poised for another step next year.  The injury to Curtis Samuel in the Miami game was a killer in retrospect as he was just becoming a factor.  Cam is still young enough to win a SB or two, in my opinion.  

I will say that my hate for the Saints and their fans now exceeds my hate for all things Falcons.  

Panthers aren't going anywhere unless they can find a way to beat the Saints. And right now, they simply don't have the personnel to do it.

45 minutes ago, Dale said:

Panthers aren't going anywhere unless they can find a way to beat the Saints. And right now, they simply don't have the personnel to do it.

Dale, in the five seasons prior to this one, the Saints went:

7-9, 7-9, 7-9, 11-5 and 7-9.  Their starting QB is turning 39 on Monday.  As you know, the NFL is cyclical but people tend to focus too much on what happened yesterday.  I will say that NO had a helluva draft last year.  But coming into this season, they were the consensus pick for last place. 

40 minutes ago, JBS said:

Dale, in the five seasons prior to this one, the Saints went:

7-9, 7-9, 7-9, 11-5 and 7-9.  Their starting QB is turning 39 on Monday.  As you know, the NFL is cyclical but people tend to focus too much on what happened yesterday.  I will say that NO had a helluva draft last year.  But coming into this season, they were the consensus pick for last place. 

Oh, granted things can change. I'm just pointing out that this current roster would probably have to play NO ten times to win a gain. It's a matchup thing. And the Panthers ain't got it.

10 minutes ago, Dale said:

Oh, granted things can change. I'm just pointing out that this current roster would probably have to play NO ten times to win a gain. It's a matchup thing. And the Panthers ain't got it.

Perhaps.  But they lost by 5 on a hostile field last night so maybe not as far off as we think.  Remember that when they played in Charlotte on the third week of the season, Cam was still recovering from shoulder surgery and was a shell of himself.  I think we are a competent lineman and a capable receiver (maybe Curtis Samuel) away from splitting our games with NO.  

Not to beat a dead horse (too late?) but prior to this year:

2016 split

2015 we swept

2014 split

2013 split

2012 we swept

We've had their number more often than not in the prior five years.  This year is the anomaly and they have the nearly 40 year old QB...

We will go 7-9 next season because we are the Carolina Panthers and that’s how we work.  20+ years without back-back winning seasons.

Also I’ve lost all faith in our front office.  Watching Clay, our #2 WR, drop that TD made me sick.  Then it made me more sick when I remembered he was cut off the Bills PRACTICE SQUAD.

Dude has no business in the NFL and we are trotting him out there for Cam Newton, our franchise QB.  I’m worried we are the expansion version of the Philadelphia Eagles.  

That and the apologists for guys like Gano, missing that chip shot.  “Can’t blame Gano, he’s been great all season, all kickers miss em sometimes”.  Yeah, except the guys that are clutch and win ball games.  Gano is your guy when there’s nothing on the line.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh

^ Nah, Panthers make the playoffs. They are blessed in playing the NFC East (Eagles and 3 doormats) and the AFC North (Steelers and 3 doormats).

Also, the NFL will announce the games to be played in London next season on Thursday. The Panthers are one of the few teams that have not yet played there and with 5 games in London in 2018, I'm taking a wild guess that their name is drawn.

1 hour ago, ah59396 said:

We will go 7-9 next season because we are the Carolina Panthers and that’s how we work.  20+ years without back-back winning seasons.

Also I’ve lost all faith in our front office.  Watching Clay, our #2 WR, drop that TD made me sick.  Then it made me more sick when I remembered he was cut off the Bills PRACTICE SQUAD.

Dude has no business in the NFL and we are trotting him out there for Cam Newton, our franchise QB.  I’m worried we are the expansion version of the Philadelphia Eagles.  

That and the apologists for guys like Gano, missing that chip shot.  “Can’t blame Gano, he’s been great all season, all kickers miss em sometimes”.  Yeah, except the guys that are clutch and win ball games.  Gano is your guy when there’s nothing on the line.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Gano hit a 58 yard field goal in the same half (a Panther record)...no credit for that??  His only other missed FG all year was over 50 yards.  He led the league in both FG percentage and touchbacks and hit the game winning kick as time expired against NE.  I wish I had as good a year in my job...

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, JBS said:

Gano hit a 58 yard field goal in the same half (a Panther record)...no credit for that??  His only other missed FG all year was over 50 yards.  He led the league in both FG percentage and touchbacks and hit the game winning kick as time expired against NE.  I wish I had as good a year in my job...

I get that.  But...

He missed a field goal that was basically an extra point.  

One that would have allowed us to WIN the game with another chip shot FG.

In a DOME.

In the playoffs.

Against a team you can’t make mistakes against.

Who is a divisional rival.

Some guys are great when it matters.  They win playoff games and Super Bowls.  Others don’t.

27 minutes ago, AuLukey said:

Don’t be such a pessimist, Alex. We’ll be 7-8-1 and make the playoffs. 8-8 if we’re damn lucky.

Something about this season just really frustrated me.  11 win season for nothing except a bad draft spot.  The disaster our front office is.

I start drinking just thinking about them.

• Like 1

All these stadium relocation articles are doing nothing more than poking the bear. If the media would stay out of it, the possibility of a new stadium being “demanded” would barely be on the table if even at all. The more they instigate this conversation, the more likely it is that it will be a real problem. I wish I could just tell all the journalists in Charlotte to stfu for a change.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

WCNC is actual S.H.I.T. Actual physical foul smelling S.H.I.T

Their fear mongering during the Ebola craze was really over the top. They interviewed me on the street and I called them on unscientific fear mongering when they asked if I was afraid I might catch ebola. For some reason the interview was not shown. ;-)

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Their fear mongering during the Ebola craze was really over the top. They interviewed me on the street and I called them on unscientific fear mongering when they asked if I was afraid I might catch ebola. For some reason the interview was not shown. ;-)

probably discredited you because you are a Denver Transplant ;-) LOL

3 hours ago, AuLukey said:

All these stadium relocation articles are doing nothing more than poking the bear. If the media would stay out of it, the possibility of a new stadium being “demanded” would barely be on the table if even at all. The more they instigate this conversation, the more likely it is that it will be a real problem. I wish I could just tell all the journalists in Charlotte to stfu for a change.

I am pretty sure the billionaire(s) who will be involved with the purchase of the team will be able to figure that one out on their own. Now, if you were to make the point that the news is getting the public all riled up and that if they would just keep their mouths shut perhaps the city and county could negotiate with the new owners and get a new stadium built without all the public outrage I would say you are on to something.

• Like 2

I am pretty sure the billionaire(s) who will be involved with the purchase of the team will be able to figure that one out on their own. Now, if you were to make the point that the news is getting the public all riled up and that if they would just keep their mouths shut perhaps the city and county could negotiate with the new owners and get a new stadium built without all the public outrage I would say you are on to something.

The latter point was what I was referring to. I have already seen three articles by suburban journalists pointing out potential sites in their cities/counties and the (non-researched) potential economic impact they would have. It’s like they are rallying their readers to drum up support of these ideas. Those readers could then push their local politicians to start campaigning for this ridiculous pipe dream. Which, in turn, would only complicate any negotiations between the new owners and the city. Etc etc etc

In the end, I don’t see any city outside of Charlotte having the capital to make a serious move, but they certainly aren’t helping if they even try.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AuLukey said:

The latter point was what I was referring to. I have already seen three articles by suburban journalists pointing out potential sites in their cities/counties and the (non-researched) potential economic impact they would have. It’s like they are rallying their readers to drum up support of these ideas. Those readers could then push their local politicians to start campaigning for this ridiculous pipe dream. Which, in turn, would only complicate any negotiations between the new owners and the city. Etc etc etc

In the end, I don’t see any city outside of Charlotte having the capital to make a serious move, but they certainly aren’t helping if they even try.

Thanks for clarifying. I agree with you. I really hope there is no serious consideration by any new owner to build a new stadium anywhere but uptown Charlotte. As many have suggested, I like the current location best and would prefer the stadium stay right there, even if the Panthers have to play at a college stadium if a new stadium is constructed.

• Like 1

Look, let’s talk dirty for a second. IF this thing gets to the point where we are looking at a new stadium, even looking down the road to 2030, then let’s aim for underdeveloped land within the loop. We could even pull an Atlanta and build it (practically) adjacent to the current stadium.

My nominee for future stadium site would be the insanely underdeveloped pie shape made by John Belk, 77, and Morehead. That area would leave enough room for a stadium, practice facility, as well as a tailgate lot or two. The main drawback would obviously be pedestrian connections to uptown over/under the rail tracks.

I’d honestly love for the current stadium, when it’s time comes, to be imploded and the land quartered off to extend the grid so that Graham continues on rather than turning into Stonewall.

In a perfect world though, Charlotte and the new owners would be completely satisfied with the current facility for decades to come. Maybe BoA could end up like Lambeau, Soldier, or Arrowhead. Civic pride and all that.

• Like 3