Carolina Panthers

According to David Tepper in a press conference he just held, he is contractually obligated to not remove the statue.

I guess Jerry didn’t want to be forgotten bad enough he threw that in as a contingency of the sale.

Also in the press conference, he mentioned that they were in desperate need of new practice fields that “made no sense” to be next to the field; as that land would be better suited for development. He made mention of the new Amtrak/Greyhound station as well in the reasoning. So at least he’s somewhat in touch with Uptown development.

He said very factually that the stadium desperately needed upgrading and he planned on using tax dollars only from sources that were supported by the organization (ie hospitality tax.) He said that he plans on opening the stadium up to many more events as well; such as high school games and concerts. Which, in turn, will drive more taxes into coffers that will help support stadium development. What worries me is he did a lot of sidestepping and was alluding to moving the stadium, but then also said it has a great location... so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He plans on removing all non-disclosure agreements within the organization so that things like JR’s harassment can not be covered up in the future.

Lastly, he said he plans on driving development in the community (did not elaborate) and plans on growing the charitable organizations with the Panthers and their players’ foundations.

I’m interested to see how this all turns out. He plans on hiring a president to run the day-to-day operations as he will still be working his normal job. So I guess we’ll see just how involved he really stays in the community. I hope he becomes a major player in Charlotte’s growth; but I feel a little doubtful that he will.

Just finished watching this as well.  Again, this is going to be a complete 180 from the previous leadership.  This guy is outspoken, candid, and I can imagine we'll see/hear a lot more from him than we ever did with JR.  His openness/frankness reminded me a lot of Coach Clifford interviews.  A few observations:

1.  Seems pretty adamant about moving the practice fields.  I know the NFL teams have their training camps at different locations., but how many teams actually have their practice fields 30+ minutes away from the stadium (he's alluded to the fact that he wants to relocate to the border)?  I know teams are building these mega-complexes for their practice facilities now though.  I always thought this needed to be upgraded though...it's outrageous they have to go to the convention center sometimes to practice due to inclement weather.  And if the practice fields do relocate, I will be very intrigued to hear more about his vision for development (there is a lot of land around the stadium).  And he is aware of Gateway station. 

2.  He did sidestep the location/taxing question a bit, but I am currently giving him the benefit of the doubt and believe him when he says he truly likes the location of the stadium.  Like you said, he mentioned about hosting more and bigger events but didn't want to ruin the grass.  I personally like real grass, but an option would be to turf the field.  More year-round events and easily disassembled for other events.  

3.  He's a billionaire for a reason...I say this in that I don't fully trust him yet as the owner.  Still a lot of questions in my mind.  Is he truly going to invest in this community, team, and stadium...or was this just his next rich person "toy" to buy?  I'll need to hear his 5-10-20 year plan for the team/stadium.  The one big thing I wanted from our new owner is some sort of Charlotte tie.  Tepper doesn't check that box (yet).

Edit: I am curious too, to see if UNCC is contractually obligated to keeping the naming rights for the football stadium (Jerry Richardson Stadium).  Not sure how that works either if the school wanted to change that.

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz

Way too much side-stepping for me in the press conference. I didn't really see the point of having a press conference if you have nothing to announce (I do get it was just a "meet the new owner" kind of thing, but maybe something to announce or elaborate on?). At the end of the press conference, here's what we know...

Plans for the team moving forward? WIN

How will you win? WIN

Any personnel changes? WIN

Keeping the statue of Jerry? Have to

New Stadium? Who knows

New Practice Field? Probably

Where will new Practice Field be? WIN

• Like 2

Many NFL practice fields are away from the stadium.  The Cowboys stadium is in Arlington TX west of Dallas  and about 20 miles away is the training facility in Frisco a  far north Dallas suburb and surrounded by a mixed use project.  I think the Observer did a story on same for the Vikings whose stadium is downtown and their training facility is way out of town.   Check it out https://www.thestarinfrisco.com/

I guess my question is who owns the land where the training fields are now?  The city or county or do the Panthers organization own the land?   I do think the training facility including an indoor practice area will be moving out of uptown and possibly to SC to leverage tax benefits but would love for it to stay in NC somewhere.  As for the training camp in Spartanburg to me that will leave Wofford.   This is speculation on my part but our training facilities are not nowhere near as nice as other teams right now.  

• Like 3

Tepper is a bit goofy (to me) and obviously has a big ego.  That said, he seems likable and I'm excited about the potential for him to become involved in development in the Region.  Building new practice fields (including an indoor facility) near the state line with office, retail and residential development sounds awesome (if that is what he has in mind).  What I heard reported about using tax money was mostly positive, if accurate.  I'm disappointed on the statue (not Scott Fowler disappointed...) because I don't like what it represents and the size and design are awful.  This statue in Cardiff by the Sea, CA, went from hated to beloved based on people decorating it:  

https://www.google.com/search?q=cardiff+kook+images&safe=active&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS759US759&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJ2PSampXcAhUKFXwKHcdTBYkQsAQIJg

I'd find that entertaining here...

43 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Many NFL practice fields are away from the stadium.  The Cowboys stadium is in Arlington TX west of Dallas  and about 20 miles away is the training facility in Frisco a  far north Dallas suburb and surrounded by a mixed use project.  I think the Observer did a story on same for the Vikings whose stadium is downtown and their training facility is way out of town.   Check it out https://www.thestarinfrisco.com/

Also the current open practice field is a bit of a security issue. Any nefarious scout could lease space in a nearby skyscraper and have a decent vantage of practice -- not that any opposing NFL teams would be up to such shenanigans ;).  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Crucial_Infra said:

Also the current open practice field is a bit of a security issue. Any nefarious scout could lease space in a nearby skyscraper and have a decent vantage of practice -- not that any opposing NFL teams would be up to such shenanigans ;).  

actually that has already happened years ago someone leased a condo in one of those Cedar Street condo complexes and was spying on the practice.   That land would be a great residential land. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

actually that has already happened years ago someone leased a condo in one of those Cedar Street condo complexes and was spying on the practice.   That land would be a great residential land. 

I thought someone recently wrote that the land was contaminated and couldn't be built on...am I mistaken?  If we were in the AFC East, the Pats would definitely have a condo there.

It WAS contaminated but remediation with Panthers stadium plans made it better. How much better I cannot say but Johnson and Wales dormitory and parking is on the same stretch of land so it must be acceptable for residential now. Would they remediate just the J&W land? Not likely. Testing will confirm.

• Like 1

The stadium itself sits on 15 acres,the practice fields & what the team defines as plaza area's comes to 18 acres. So that's a ton of land to redevelop& you probably could add more amenties to the current stadium if you move all team related functions to the new practice facility

even if that land the practice fields are on is contaminated it can be developed into residential.  Most of the southend apartment complexes and new townhomes are on brownfield sites and the soil if contaminated can be remediated    I am talking only about the practice field lands because that is what is being discussed about possibly being moved not the stadium site itself which is owned by the city  and leased to the Panthers.     

Okay I just looked it up the city of Charlotte owns the practice fields too!   So if they move the practice fields the city of Charlotte is involved in what goes on for sure as they own the land. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty excited about the Tepper area. He seems honest, genuine and not a BS-er. Tells you like it is. As others have pointed out, it's obvious that he plans to build a new practice/training facility. For the Panthers to keep up, they need to do that. I suspect it will be either on some property near Carowinds or Fort Mill if a location around uptown isn't selected. It's stupid that they have to practice in a ballroom at the Westin or convention center so it will be a nice upgrade to keep up with the rest of the league. The other great part of this is that it sounds like we will expect to see more events at BofA stadium like concerts, soccer matches, high school championships, etc. Also think this maybe as good as any of a chance for Charlotte to land an MLS team with a guy that obviously has no problem doling out cash... Especially since he has mentioned it on more than one occasion. 

Edited by HopHead

8 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Edit: I am curious too, to see if UNCC is contractually obligated to keeping the naming rights for the football stadium (Jerry Richardson Stadium).  Not sure how that works either if the school wanted to change that.

Richardson gave $10 million toward the construction of UNCC's stadium... so I'd imagine they're very contracturally obligated

17 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Richardson gave $10 million toward the construction of UNCC's stadium... so I'd imagine they're very contracturally obligated

I'd also assume that they are thankful for the money and have no desire to change the name.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

^I agree with everything he wants to do with moving and replacing the practice fields with one caveat,  get rid of the parking. 

We have ample tailgate parking around the stadium to afford anyone that is tailgating a good spot. In addition, you would be taking revenue away from the small mom & pop businesses that can benefit from game day parking.  Other than that, I agree that we should have a "game day" experience entertainment area much like Green Bay that would add significant retail/shopping/entertainment to the Third Ward and uptown in general. 

Now, keeping this area open 365 days and drawing people in during the spring-summer off-season is another topic.  I know we have Strike City in EpiCentre, but I wonder if a Lucky Strike (a la Boston) would work in the Third Ward. It's more of a combination of a Dave & Busters with a Bowling Alley and classic game room on a third upper level.  Would this draw enough traffic in that area year round tho? 

I am unusually confident at the start of training camp...which unfortunately might mean 7-9.  But seriously, talent wise they are better than '15 (but not at CB).  Most pundits picking them third in league's best division but I think SB.

Edited by JBS

On 7/27/2018 at 12:28 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I like everything I read about Tepper’s ownership and strategy. As a Charlotte transplant, and lifelong fan of another team (thankfully in the AFC), I have been unable  to truly get behind the Panthers. I always want them to do well, because I want the best for Charlotte, but there hasn’t been much true bonding with franchise. Something feels different now, like I’m part of a rebirth... and maybe it’s because I feel so optimistic about what Tepper’s ownership can do for Charlotte. 

And the MLS talk just gets my heart a flutter. 

• Like 2

On 7/27/2018 at 11:12 PM, JBS said:

I am unusually confident at the start of training camp...which unfortunately might mean 7-9.  But seriously, talent wise they are better than '15 (but not at CB).  Most pundits picking them third in league's best division but I think SB.

Losing Daryl Hurt, but I think Cam is going to throw for a career high 4,700 this year at 67% completion percentage with 34 passing touchdowns. Also think he will run for 670, with 11 rushing touchdowns. This is what its going to take for us to make a superbowl run. This year feels completely different, and I love everybody picking against us. The chip on my shoulder is so gigantic now.

14 hours ago, JBS said:

I take full responsibility for his injury (less than 24 hours after my post).  When will I learn?!?

new idea. We both need to shut up lol. Ross was playing super well in training camp for his hometown team, now got a broken leg. Yeesh.