Carolina Panthers

On 8/22/2018 at 6:06 PM, Nick2 said:

I totally agree. If they have the lighting system available, then why not use it?

Also, I wonder if Charlotte could do kind of a light show of changing colors on the crowns throughout uptown for special events throughout the year or even each Friday. Kind of like what a lot of Chinese cities do. Some people might thing it's a little gaudy but it'd be something really unique for CLT.

I like that idea. I'm unfamiliar with what the Chinese cities do, but I think something coordinated with multiple buildings would be awesome.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Dale said:

Is anyone able to access this article ?

What next stadium makeover could mean for Panthers, Charlotte

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/09/06/what-next-stadium-makeover-could-mean-for-panthers.html

Well, the article left me feeling good about the future of the stadium.

Tepper wants the stadium to be used far more during the year, like concerts. It sounds like he's also more actively interested in development around the stadium. A lot of it is speculation from other developers and council persons, but it implies that Tepper is interested in how adjacent blocks develop and connect to the stadium, like Gateway, the practice fields, etc. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dale said:

Is anyone able to access this article ?

What next stadium makeover could mean for Panthers, Charlotte

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/09/06/what-next-stadium-makeover-could-mean-for-panthers.html

click on the link, and then hit stop as quickly as you can after the words load. If it doesn't work hit refresh and try it again. (Sorry Erik, Ashley, if you are reading, haha)

Edited by Guest

A friend from high school works for Cordish Companies and posted about Texas Live! the other day.  Meant to post it but I wonder if Tepper would like at a developer like this to bridge the gap to Gateway or even on the site of the current practice fields.  Check out the Jacksonville Shipyards, Texas Live!, Ballpark Village as a few partnerships with NFL/MLB teams

http://cordish.com/portfolio

Atlanta lost last night (spoiler alert!), so the Panthers' odds of making the playoffs jumped from 40% to 41%, according to 538.com: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-nfl-predictions/?ex_cid=rrpromo

Of course pre-season odds don't mean a whole lot. 

Here are last year's NFC pre-season odds with the 6 playoff teams in grey.  Below that is a graph of how the whole season went.

2017nflnfcpre.jpg

2017nflnfc.jpg

Edited by grodney

(Not so) Bold predictions:

1) Cam will continue to be one of the least accurate passers in the league, but this is the year where trying to win games with his legs finally catches up to him;

2) McCaffrey will not have a breakout year because  the lousy offensive line is not only going to help get Cam hurt but also because teams have had an off-season to scout him and shut down his substandard route running;

3) Panthers win only seven games (think six is an equally strong possibility) and miss the playoffs;

4)  Cam has such a bad game that The Jake is joined by The Cam (The Jake, however, remains the worst playoff game in nfl history while The Cam is just the worst regular season game in Panthers history).

Bonus: the secondary is Jekyl and Hyde from one Sunday to the next, but the crazy talent of the Defensive rookies means the Panthers are set up to draft all offensive linemen and skill players for 2019 and trade Cam to sign Tyrod Taylor on the way to winning the Super Bowl next season

53 minutes ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

(Not so) Bold predictions:

1) Cam will continue to be one of the least accurate passers in the league, but this is the year where trying to win games with his legs finally catches up to him;

2) McCaffrey will not have a breakout year because  the lousy offensive line is not only going to help get Cam hurt but also because teams have had an off-season to scout him and shut down his substandard route running;

3) Panthers win only seven games (think six is an equally strong possibility) and miss the playoffs;

4)  Cam has such a bad game that The Jake is joined by The Cam (The Jake, however, remains the worst playoff game in nfl history while The Cam is just the worst regular season game in Panthers history).

Bonus: the secondary is Jekyl and Hyde from one Sunday to the next, but the crazy talent of the Defensive rookies means the Panthers are set up to draft all offensive linemen and skill players for 2019 and trade Cam to sign Tyrod Taylor on the way to winning the Super Bowl next season

I take this as a reverse-jinx post!  

If you like analytics (and really, who doesn't?), here's a great article on why NFL teams should pass more: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/for-a-passing-league-the-nfl-still-doesnt-pass-enough/ . 

Panthers last year ran the ball 69% of the time on 1st down against a stacked or neutral box.....even though their success* rate on such plays is 30% running and 49% throwing.  Insanity!

*success rate factors in the negative outcomes as well

• Like 1