Carolina Panthers

On 9/8/2018 at 12:01 PM, Tyrone Wiggum said:

(Not so) Bold predictions:

1) Cam will continue to be one of the least accurate passers in the league, but this is the year where trying to win games with his legs finally catches up to him;

2) McCaffrey will not have a breakout year because  the lousy offensive line is not only going to help get Cam hurt but also because teams have had an off-season to scout him and shut down his substandard route running;

3) Panthers win only seven games (think six is an equally strong possibility) and miss the playoffs;

4)  Cam has such a bad game that The Jake is joined by The Cam (The Jake, however, remains the worst playoff game in nfl history while The Cam is just the worst regular season game in Panthers history).

Bonus: the secondary is Jekyl and Hyde from one Sunday to the next, but the crazy talent of the Defensive rookies means the Panthers are set up to draft all offensive linemen and skill players for 2019 and trade Cam to sign Tyrod Taylor on the way to winning the Super Bowl next season

1)  Wrong.  He was in the top 10 in completion %, but, per usual, finished as a below average QB as measured by both QBR and total QBR.  Also, trying to win games with his legs did catch up with him; now the question is what he looks like after turning 30;

2) Dead wrong about McCaffrey, and happy to be so.  Not dead wrong about the O-line;

3) Ayup;

4) Nothing as bad as The Jake, but the Tampa game cost us the playoffs and was a prototypical 4 interception game Cam is good for at least once a year;

Bonus:  I don't know the ruling on this one; team ranked in bottom 1/3 in yards per pass, but also was in the bottom 1/6 in sacks and looked like it couldn't get any consistent pressure and when Pep and Shaq are our second and third leading sack artists, that. ain't. good.

So, a pretty terrible set of predictions, but the result was exactly what I thought would happen.  

TL;DR: we got old on defense and there are holes everywhere with no short term solutions.

So as it turns out, the Eagles made the playoffs at 9-7.  

Panthers finished 7-9.

If 1) the Panthers made the 2-point conversion against the Lions, and 2) made the 52-yard field goal with 1:45 left against the Seahawks, then they likely finish 9-7.  And they have the tie-breaker over the Eagles by beating them this year.  And the Panthers are in the playoffs.

Yes, I know everything would have played out differently if those things actually happened.  And, yes, I realize the Panthers made a 63-yard field goal to win one of their games, and there are many other plays that could have gone *against* the Panthers to make their record worse. 

I'm just saying it's crazy how razor-thin the margins are in this game.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2018 at 10:19 PM, SouthEndCLT811 said:

I've been staying out by the Titans practice facility for a work project.  I could see something like this added while the team searches for a place to build something more permanent

https://www.architecturalfabrics.com/project-profiles/tennessee-titans-practice-facility

And there it is regarding our practice bubble

maybe I am the only one.  I don't like these London games.  I think both teams are at a disadvantage which I guess makes the travel and jet lag equal but I think both teams should have a bye week the week after.   Preseason games can be played there.  How do season ticket holders of the Bucs which this is a home game for them get compensated for lack of a home town game?

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Ah, my friend group text was going off about trying to make the trip and I thought I could combine it with my bachelor party but I'm getting married in October so that might cut it close haha

hopefully it lines up! I'll buy you multiple beers in congratulations in you are there.

19 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

maybe I am the only one.  I don't like these London games.  I think both teams are at a disadvantage which I guess makes the travel and jet lag equal but I think both teams should have a bye week the week after.   Preseason games can be played there.  How do season ticket holders of the Bucs which this is a home game for them get compensated for lack of a home town game?

I'll take any excuse to cash in frequent flyer miles and spend a long weekend abroad. 

Just now, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'll take any excuse to cash in frequent flyer miles and spend a long weekend abroad. 

does Southwest fly there???  Believe  me I love London the city, the history, the English countryside.  Who knows I might go over as I have friends 40 miles outside of London. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

maybe I am the only one.  I don't like these London games.  I think both teams are at a disadvantage which I guess makes the travel and jet lag equal but I think both teams should have a bye week the week after.   

The real solution is to add 2 more bye weeks per team, thus bumping the Super Bowl to the the Sunday before President's Day (day off after the game!).  Then you have 3 byes in 16 games, thus roughly having a bye every 4 games.....and mandated byes the week after London and the week before Thursday games.  

As for the London game though, I hope it's a 10am start, as I love a good tailgate brunch.

Edited by grodney
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, grodney said:

The real solution is to add 2 more bye weeks per team, thus bumping the Super Bowl to the the Sunday before President's Day (day off after the game!).  Then you have 3 byes in 16 games, thus roughly having a bye every 4 games.....and mandated byes the week after London and the week before Thursday games.  

Me though, I hope it's a 10am start, as I love a good tailgate brunch.

its like you are a genius from space. 

tenor-1.gif

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Anyone else excited to fly to London for a football game in October?

Yes, beyond excited! Definitely going. I was there last October and met some of the Royal Riot members and they are beyond awesome, their dedication to watching the Panthers is impressive!

• Like 4

On 1/21/2019 at 2:08 PM, KJHburg said:

It would definitely be interesting, but the cost!  How many tickets are available to PSL holders btw?  I guess since this is a "home" game for Tampa Bay, Carolina fans won't "miss out" on a game that they would normally be paying for from a season ticket standpoint.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JRNYP2C said:

It would definitely be interesting, but the cost!  How many tickets are available to PSL holders btw?  I guess since this is a "home" game for Tampa Bay, Carolina fans won't "miss out" on a game that they would normally be paying for from a season ticket standpoint.

Previous games have been General Admission I thought.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/5351433/nfl-london-2018-tickets-on-sale-how-much-who-is-playing/

interesting read about the SuperBowl in Atlanta upcoming.  The ATL Business Chronicle is reporting that the NFL and its major sponsor reserved more than 20,000 rooms for the weekend.  Lots of restaurants are sold out especially on Saturday night.  These are things to consider if the Panthers and Charlotte ever want to host.   They are expecting 150,000 out of towners. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

Our friends at Roaring Riot received nearly 1000 deposits toward ticket/travel/hotel packages for London, in less than a day and a half. They had to shut it down, because they didn’t expect to sell this quick and need to make sure the can accommodate this amount of people. I’ll absolutely be going. Been expecting this since the away teams came out and Tampa was announced as a home team in London. I’m so excited. I hope other UPers will be there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk