Carolina Panthers

^ ahh, I understand (and agree) now.  I interpreted it from the other direction:

San Antonio is an OK market, however it has a much more transitory population than Charlotte and has less corporate support.

Columbus would also be a strong candidate for a relocating team if they didn't already have pro football.

Edited by kermit

Woah.....i dont particularly care about soccer, but thats pretty awesome!! Playing at BofA I am assuming?

Yea, that's a kinda big deal... Two of the world's biggest soccer teams coming to town. I just started following the EPL a little so this is exciting. Will definitely look at getting tickets. Wonder if PSL owners have rights to these? 

As for the Panthers.  Two bits of good news yesterday.  Well, two bits of recognition at least.

Luke Keuchly was awarded the NFL Defensive Player of the Year (this coming after his Defensive Rookie of the Year honors last year)

Riverboat Ron was awarded the NFL Coach of the Year after his turnaround season.

Both of them won by wide margins over their opposition (not as wide as Payton Manning's award, but wide nevertheless.) 

It probably helped that both of them were highlighted pretty well during the Pro Bowl as well.  I don't think I could go back and count how many times the offense yelled out "59" when Keuchly was staring down the quarterback.  I think the Panthers, especially Tolbert, really made a big impact in that game.

Happy Superbowl Sunday, everybody!  Maybe next year...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Was really hoping that Smith would transition to a coach if he is too old/injured to return as a player, or front-office, anything really, we already lost one iconic and NC rooted player, losing Smith just seems disloyal and out of touch, or is it that Smith himself that is a part of the issue here?

Was really hoping that Smith would transition to a coach if he is too old/injured to return as a player, or front-office, anything really, we already lost one iconic and NC rooted player, losing Smith just seems disloyal and out of touch, or is it that Smith himself that is a part of the issue here?

Is it really surprising the Panthers are going to part ways with Smith? What is really surprising is people's reactions to it. It simple sports. He is a 34 (will be 35 by the time the season starts) year old receiver who is past his prime. Sure he still has a field presence but he is not even remotely close to $7 mil productive. Let him leave on a high note, it is VERY unlikely he will be traded so he will most likely be released. He can retire and possibly come back to the organization as a coach.

How in any way is it disloyal or out of touch?? It's the right move for the team, we have major contract years coming up and we do NOT need to waste cap space on Smith.

Edited by Jayvee

^ I'll assume you are referring to other people's comments/objections since I didn't really say or even allude to the points you are addressing.  Smith in many ways is the spirit of the Panthers, and I'd hate to lose that, so in that sense, yes it would seem disloyal to many fans to see him summarily dropped.  There are other options which was my point.

Is it really surprising the Panthers are going to part ways with Smith? What is really surprising is people's reactions to it. It simple sports. He is a 34 (will be 35 by the time the season starts) year old receiver who is past his prime. Sure he still has a field presence but he is not even remotely close to $7 mil productive. Let him leave on a high note, it is VERY unlikely he will be traded so he will most likely be released. He can retire and possibly come back to the organization as a coach.

How in any way is it disloyal or out of touch?? It's the right move for the team, we have major contract years coming up and we do NOT need to waste cap space on Smith.

There is a better way to let a veteran of your team and debatable HOF receiver go.  Gettleman putting him on blast in the media then basically turning him into crappy trade bait is a poor way of handling it.  This could have been done behind closed doors without the unnecessary speculation.  Other than that, I'm okay with it being a business decision.

^ I'll assume you are referring to other people's comments/objections since I didn't really say or even allude to the points you are addressing.  Smith in many ways is the spirit of the Panthers, and I'd hate to lose that, so in that sense, yes it would seem disloyal to many fans to see him summarily dropped.  There are other options which was my point.

Yes, sorry, not referring to your comments specifically. Just rather surprised by a majorities objections. He could be the spirit and thats fine, but at some point a team always has to let go. We have bonafied stars in Kuechly & Cam, and it is their time now. I'm am not sure what other options there are honestly, other than moving him to an administrative role. But even with that he would still need to be released. We really can't afford to take a $7 million cap hit for loyalty sake.

As far as it being out there that hes on the trading block, I will say it's a little odd because the Panthers have got to know it is INSANELY unlikely a team is going to take that cap hit for a player like Smith. So I will agree with going about that was rather odd, however, him no longer being a Panther was just about inevitable.

Edited by Jayvee

It's going to suck to no have Smitty around, but it's for the better of the franchise long term. Though, I question the timing and how's being carried out. However, it's time to hand the reigns over to Cam and Luke. They are the future. I'd like to see Steve Smith retire a Panther, but as long as he wants to keep playing not sure that will happen. Just wish you could put his fire into everyone on the team. 

In a perfect world, I see Gettleman (before he said anything at the combine) getting together with Steve and his agent and saying:

"Look, we can't afford the cap hit.  Financially, we HAVE to let you go, but we REALLY don't want to do that.  We want you as a player, and we want you as a leader.  This really sucks, but it's our opinion that if we cut you, nobody will sign you for more than about a million.  How about we cut you and immediately re-sign you for 1-year 1-million, and we keep doing that for as long as you want to play for us?".

Then Steve and his agent would realize that's the reality.

Steve is a very emotional and proud guy.  That would be a tough thing for him to do.  But it's the reality of finances and contracts in the NFL.

(disclaimer:  I have EXTREMELY limited knowledge of NFL rules and caps and contracts.  Maybe they could have also worked a "signing bonus" into a new deal, that wouldn't have counted against the cap.)

In summary:  It will suck if he's gone.  I'm holding out hope until it's a done deal.

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/5314/godfrey-softens-blow-of-losing-fs-mitchell

painful loss to our already bad secondary. Great to see Mitchell get paid though!! He's from my alma mater

Mitchell made out like a bandit... Steelers WAY over paid for his services for 5yr/$25M. Nobody else was close to that. 

I really feel like Smith could make a very good receiving coach for the Panthers, but Ricky Proehl is a hell of a guy.  If Steve was kept on the sidelines, I'm not sure what position the Panthers could squeeze him into.  I agree the organization needs to keep him around one way or another, but if it means sacrificing the cap next year, he sadly needs to go.  I agree that the way Gettleman is handling this situation is poor, but so far he's shown that he knows what he's doing.  He is going to have a real uphill battle putting together a new offensive line and secondary.

The Panthers will need to have a lot of luck on their side if they hope to be playoff ready this season.  Hopefully we do well in the draft and pick up some value veterans in the off season.  Otherwise, next year's off season is going to be a nightmare.

I really feel like Smith could make a very good receiving coach for the Panthers, but Ricky Proehl is a hell of a guy.  If Steve was kept on the sidelines, I'm not sure what position the Panthers could squeeze him into.  I agree the organization needs to keep him around one way or another, but if it means sacrificing the cap next year, he sadly needs to go.  I agree that the way Gettleman is handling this situation is poor, but so far he's shown that he knows what he's doing.  He is going to have a real uphill battle putting together a new offensive line and secondary.

The Panthers will need to have a lot of luck on their side if they hope to be playoff ready this season.  Hopefully we do well in the draft and pick up some value veterans in the off season.  Otherwise, next year's off season is going to be a nightmare.

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/5271/contract-says-smith-issue-not-about-money

Interesting article. We essentially will save $1 million next year by cutting him this year. Why on earth they gave him a 4-year extension in 2012 is beyond my comprehension.

Edited by Jayvee

I don't know what Gettleman is doing but this team is in BIG trouble. Unless they make some MAJOR moves (very unlikely though), they will be lucky to be a .500 team. Their secondary is completely depleted, they have ZERO wide receivers (seriously, their ENTIRE roster of WR has a total of 5 NFL catches for a total of 83 yards), their O-Line is a mess, and have VERY little cap space to work with. Prepare yourselves fellas, this is going to be a rough year. I hope I am wrong though.

Edited by Jayvee

I don't know what Gettleman is doing but this team is in BIG trouble. Unless they make some MAJOR moves (very unlikely though), they will be lucky to be a .500 team. Their secondary is completely depleted, they have ZERO wide receivers unless Lafell resigns (and even if he does, he's a nobody) and their O-Line is a mess. Prepare yourselves fellas, this is going to be a rough year. I hope I am wrong though.

Heh, Lafell signed with Pats last night.