Carolina Panthers

• 1 month later...

"Sources: Baylor coach Matt Rhule finalizing a deal to become next coach of the Carolina Panthers."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28439690/sources-panthers-agree-baylor-coach-matt-rhule

Will be a good coach for what is basically a rebuild for us.  From all accounts, sounds like the Giants really wanted him.  Tepper flew to Waco and offered him the job before he could interview with the Giants.  Tepper gets, what Tepper wants.  I like the hire.

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 4

I don't know enough about Rhule to have an opinion on the hire, but I like that Tepper is willing to make strong moves to get what he wants. With the MLS process and now the hiring of Rhule before he could even go to see the Giants, it seems like Tepper can play hard ball when he needs to and that's usually good for a sports owner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AuLukey said:

Luke Kuechly retires at age 28... I totally get it... but damn

What an awful cap to an awful year.  I’ve got coasters in my house with the numbers 58 and 59 on them for TD and Luke who were my two favorite players.  Within the span of a year, they’re both gone.  Oh yeah and a 5-11 season to boot.:(

• Like 1

I was channel surfing one Saturday years ago and came across a meaningless BC-Miami game. I thought I would stay for a few minutes and then move on. I watched the rest of the game because there was a linebacker for BC who was EVERYWHERE. It seemed he must have been in the Miami huddle and knew every call because he was on every defensive stop, no matter where. Miami could not run away from him and his tackling was impeccable.  It was just like those high school recruit highlight reels except this was top level college play and it was live action, no editing. That was my introduction to Luke Kuechly*

*I had the same experience that season seeing Ndamekong Suh for Nebraska against whomever and he collapsed his side of the offensive line every play.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2020 at 7:55 PM, eastsider said:

Another class act gone... Greg Olsen and the Panthers agree to part ways.

News of Greg was posted in Panther's facility thread, but I am happy for Greg...really is a class act and has done tremendous things in the Charlotte area.  I could definitely see them living in Charlotte after his playing career (if his broadcasting career doesn't take him elsewhere). 

Secondly...super happy he is not going to a divisional opponent (NFC South).  Except, over the recent years, I have felt the NFL trying to make an out of conference rival with Panthers and Seahawks.  We have played Seattle almost every year for the last decade (sometimes twice bc of playoffs), however, we don't play them this upcoming season.  I don't think Greg felt he was done playing, but at the same time, I don't see him playing that much longer either...best of luck...until we play you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

(if his broadcasting career doesn't take him elsewhere). 

I am the opposite of a duke fan but...  Jay Bilas (and quite a few other national broadcasting talents like Paul Finebaum) have shown that Charlotte is a very  good place for a national broadcaster  to be based.

Edited by kermit

1 hour ago, kermit said:

I am the opposite of a duke fan but...  Jay Bilas (and quite a few other national broadcasting talents like Paul Finebaum) have shown that Charlotte is a very  good place to be based.

Steve Smith is an NFL Network analyst and also lives here.  With our airport and home prices, for a married guy with a family anyways, its a easy choice to stay.   Of course 7mil retirement payday buys a nice starter house in LA 

I wouldn't be surprised if his family only spends 18 weeks in Seattle.  With his sons heart condition and their familiarity with the doctors here, I would be surprised if they moved full time but you never know.  They just finished building their SouthPark house a year or two ago so I'm guessing they plan on staying a while.  

Edited by InSouthPark
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Steve Smith is an NFL Network analyst and also lives here.  With our airport and home prices, for a married guy with a family anyways, its a easy choice to stay.   Of course 7mil retirement payday buys a nice starter house in LA 

I wouldn't be surprised if his family only spends 18 weeks in Seattle.  With his sons heart condition and their familiarity with the doctors here, I would be surprised if they moved full time but you never know.  They just finished building their SouthPark house a year or two ago so I'm guessing they plan on staying a while.  

As far as his son's condition, they could very well stay here to keep his care continuous with the same doctors, but Seattle Children's is one of the best in the country. It would possibly be a step up in care, honestly.

• 4 weeks later...

what do you think the Panthers QB change underway?

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/03/17/reports-carolina-panthers-finalizing-deal-to-sign.html

from Cam on Twitter

“Stop with the word play!! I never asked for it!! There is no dodging this one. I love the Panthers to death and will always love you guys!! Please do not try and play me, or manipulate the narrative and act like I wanted this; you forced me into this!!”

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

what do you think the Panthers QB change underway?

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/03/17/reports-carolina-panthers-finalizing-deal-to-sign.html

from Cam on Twitter

“Stop with the word play!! I never asked for it!! There is no dodging this one. I love the Panthers to death and will always love you guys!! Please do not try and play me, or manipulate the narrative and act like I wanted this; you forced me into this!!”

Going from Cam to Bridgewater is a downgrade and it seems like the team isn't being transparent about Cam or Greg leaving.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Going from Cam to Bridgewater is a downgrade and it seems like the team isn't being transparent about Cam or Greg leaving.

The team said they gave permission for Cam to seek a trade. They didn’t say he asked for permission / trade.  Instead of thanking fans, he goes and cries about it on Instagram. It’s a business. They gave you North of $120mil.  Me me me. 

A healthy Teddy > Cam the past three years.   He isn’t recreating 2015 again.  The Cam schtick got really old. He can take his personal photographer and videographer with him to New England where Bill will put him in his place and honestly what he needs to be successful again. It’s not about you cam, it’s about the team.  He has unbelievable talent but needs the right coach for that to work and not be the distraction he was here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I drove down there two weeks ago to find the location and sense the scale of the project. From 77 southbound at Eden Terrace one goes at least a mile with dense trees on the Rock Hill side of the highway. Circling back there are businesses facing Mt. Gallant Road and then trees and green for quite some distance to 77. This is a virgin land project apparently. It may have been cleared or logged in the long before our time. For a single project for such a large property it may be unrivalled in York County

• Like 1