Carolina Panthers

On 4/6/2021 at 2:49 PM, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Agree.  Low risk, high reward (if it pans out).  Whoever starts, it's going to create competition within our QB circle and that's a good thing.  Hey Darnold under Joe Brady and reunited with Anderson, coupled with CMC & DJ...improved OL...could be the spark to reignite that hype and potential he had/has.  GM has also expressed this move does not rule out still drafting a QB in the draft.  

Titans QB Ryan Tannehill played under now-former Jets HC Adam Gase when both were in Miami.  Since their departure, he has become a solid starter with Tennessee, and I think Darnold has a chance to become something similar now that he is free from Gase.  Darnold and Robby "what's that bear doing?" Anderson were previously teammates in New York, and they seemed to connect really well despite a complete lack of additional playmakers to distract the defense.

Also, Sam Darnold comes with a pretty awesome subreddit called /The_Darnold where he is proclaimed to be the GEQBUS (God emperor QB of the US) and will Make Carolina Great Again.

• Like 2

On 4/11/2021 at 12:42 PM, kermit said:

We do OK, but it appears that Falcons fans have the most fun.

No other ‘stat’ could do more to cement my dislike of the Pats (and the Cowboys)

Of course the real kick is that Massachusetts legalized pot and still Patriots fans suck. 

• 3 weeks later...

Panthers are changing the playing surface at BofA Stadium to FieldTurf from natural grass: https://www.panthers.com/news/new-playing-surface-bank-of-america-stadium

Given the number of events that will be happening at the stadium in the near and long term future of the venue this isn't surprising. Panthers home games, 4 college games next season (ECU/App State, Clemson/Georgia, ACC Title Game, Duke's Mayo Bowl), new MLS team Charlotte FC starting in 2022, and the increased number of concerts it's hard for a natural surface to be maintained without being re-sodded over and over. 

Also, Teddy Bridgewater was traded to the Broncos this afternoon... So who will be the pick at 8 now? Hmmm...

1 hour ago, HopHead said:

Panthers are changing the playing surface at BofA Stadium to FieldTurf from natural grass: https://www.panthers.com/news/new-playing-surface-bank-of-america-stadium

Given the number of events that will be happening at the stadium in the near and long term future of the venue this isn't surprising. Panthers home games, 4 college games next season (ECU/App State, Clemson/Georgia, ACC Title Game, Duke's Mayo Bowl), new MLS team Charlotte FC starting in 2022, and the increased number of concerts it's hard for a natural surface to be maintained without being re-sodded over and over. 

Also, Teddy Bridgewater was traded to the Broncos this afternoon... So who will be the pick at 8 now? Hmmm...

Crazy that they traded Teddy for a 6th round pick AND they're paying him $7M next year. What a disaster.

If Fields is there at 8 I think they've gotta take him.

On 4/28/2021 at 3:55 PM, Madison Parkitect said:

Crazy that they traded Teddy for a 6th round pick AND they're paying him $7M next year. What a disaster.

If Fields is there at 8 I think they've gotta take him.

They would have paid Teddy 17mil if he stayed on the team or was cut.  Trade for a BoBox is the only way to get rid of some of the salary cap ramifications. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, since no one else has posted this yet I’ll guess this non-NFL fan will be the first to say “bye Matt” here.

The lack of action in this thread is illustrative of the current lack of fan interest. The air has come out of the Panthers to a greater degree than I can remember (and I was here for the Seifert years).

Edited by kermit
  • Haha 2

well this an interesting take from Paul Finnebaum of ESPNU asked about the coach's firing from the Biz Journal 

Erik Spanberg
@CBJspanberg
I asked 
@finebaum  about   @CoachMattRhule's
 return-to-college prospects. He did not disappoint (Finebaum, that is; Rhule, of course, did disappoint): “What’s interesting about Matt Rhule is people inside the college football bubble still respect him. … He is likely the hottest prospect now among available college coaches. The blame is on the ineptitude and the arrogance of David Tepper as an owner more than on Rhule.”""

• Like 2

23 hours ago, KJHburg said:

well this an interesting take from Paul Finnebaum of ESPNU asked about the coach's firing from the Biz Journal 

Erik Spanberg
@CBJspanberg
I asked 
@finebaum  about   @CoachMattRhule's
 return-to-college prospects. He did not disappoint (Finebaum, that is; Rhule, of course, did disappoint): “What’s interesting about Matt Rhule is people inside the college football bubble still respect him. … He is likely the hottest prospect now among available college coaches. The blame is on the ineptitude and the arrogance of David Tepper as an owner more than on Rhule.”""

This is a scathing critique from the dean of college football (who is also a Charlotte resident IIRC).

But David Tepper was Matt Rhule’s biggest fan.  When people were calling for Rhule’s head last year, Tepper was all “relax, Rome wasn’t built in a day” and all that.  He also said with “give it 5 years” when he hired him, but this just wasn’t tenable.   I mean, people had time to custom-order “Fire Matt Rhule” jerseys for games this season.  Tepper may not have the best rep here lately, but this wasn’t justified?  C’mon.  

Edited by turbocraig

30 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

LOL....Finebaum is a radio personality that says things to get callers worked up.  End of story.

Sorry but an owner doesn't coach, set line ups, sign or trade players, or get a team ready.  He signs the checks. He might sign off on big personnel moves but he isn't out there scouring the waiver wire. This is 100% on Rhule.  The only bad thing Tepper did here is keep Rhule after the finish of last season.  We all saw Rhule wasn't cut out for it.  Tepper wanted to give him one more season, which ended up a mistake, but got the axe early enough to not poison this team any more. 

Wilks isn't going to turn this team around mid-year but I am 100% confident he is going to get the Rhule stink off them, which is at least a step in the right direction.  He will coach these guys like men and hold them accountable like they should be.

100% accurate. The only thing Finebaum is interested in is social media clicks and getting whomever else talking or wound up so they have a segment on ESPN to talk about X issues. That's it. 

Regarding Rhule, he'll get a college job somewhere next season (early favorite is Nebraska is my guess). He's a college coach. Obviously wasn't cut out for the NFL. I'm wishing Wilks the best and hope he can find a way to restore order but don't be surprised if another NFL coordinator gets the gig for 2023 (DeMeco Ryans, Ken Dorsey, Shane Steichen, etc.). I know a lot of the talk is Sean Payton, but I find it hard to believe the Saints would part with him since he's under contract still without asking for the farm in return. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kermit said:

Gezzz, if you want to feel better about David Tepper as an owner take 20 minutes to read this -in depth- catalog of Dan Snyder’s misdeeds in Washington.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34778123/washington-commanders-owner-dan-snyder-claims-dirt-T-howners-roger-goodell

There are Piece of Sheet owners, then there is Dan Snyder... Dude takes the cake. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...