Carolina Panthers

Relax. Let's look at a couple facts. Mitchell was good because he had the best front 7 in football in front of him. We never could have paid him what Pittsburgh did (they overpaid him) and we got a better safety in Roman Harper for a cheaper price.

Captain munnerlyn has always been a bad dime back AT BEST and the Vikings overpaid him. We could pay a dog $10 an hour to fill his spot.

Lafell was and is a terrible receiver and will be functional at best in NE. Ginn had the best year of his career, is overpaid now in Arizona and will likely be terrible this year in their system. How many punts or kick offs did he run back last year? None.

Smitty is old and cost $7m a year, with the same production as Lafell, who cost $1m a year. Don't believe me? Look up the stats.

Draft a WR, pick up a LT in free agency and build for next year. Our core is in place. We are making all the right decisions.

Relax. Let's look at a couple facts. Mitchell was good because he had the best front 7 in football in front of him. We never could have paid him what Pittsburgh did (they overpaid him) and we got a better safety in Roman Harper for a cheaper price.

Captain munnerlyn has always been a bad dime back AT BEST and the Vikings overpaid him. We could pay a dog $10 an hour to fill his spot.

Lafell was and is a terrible receiver and will be functional at best in NE. Ginn had the best year of his career, is overpaid now in Arizona and will likely be terrible this year in their system. How many punts or kick offs did he run back last year? None.

Smitty is old and cost $7m a year, with the same production as Lafell, who cost $1m a year. Don't believe me? Look up the stats.

Draft a WR, pick up a LT in free agency and build for next year. Our core is in place. We are making all the right decisions.

I wouldn't agree with "all the right decisions" and it's not that I disagree with the moves that have been made, it's that I don't think they're positioning themselves to have another great year. The receivers we had weren't any good, yet we have made no moves to recover what was lost. I stand by my stat of having NO receivers at the moment. So you draft one receiver....then what? You need 3 more. Greg Olsen is obviously a threat, and if we find a diamond WR outta the draft and sign a good to decent lineman, Cam can make it work. I am just concerned, again, stems from growing up in Cleveland.

But what is more concerning is our complete lack of a secondary. Our defense is still solid upfront and we will certainly contend with most sacks, that secondary is awful.

Edited by Jayvee

The secondary, o-line, and receiving corps were always the Panthers' major problems last season. They were by far our weakest links as was stated by many on here long before these cuts ever took place. Gettleman is clearing the slate in these units and hopefully will pick up some great deals that will be better than what we had before. He recognized the problems, and rather than putting a bandaid over them, he's going for broke by completely turning them over.

I personally hate that Smith couldn't have stayed, but I guess you have to cut your losses. The same thing happened with Kasey not too long ago and we ended up having one the best special teams in the league last season. Holding onto the past does have some value, but at what cost?

I hate the changes, but I can actually agree with them so far. I'll just miss having a reason to say "captain" during the game.

The secondary, o-line, and receiving corps were always the Panthers' major problems last season. They were by far our weakest links as was stated by many on here long before these cuts ever took place. Gettleman is clearing the slate in these units and hopefully will pick up some great deals that will be better than what we had before. He recognized the problems, and rather than putting a bandaid over them, he's going for broke by completely turning them over.

I personally hate that Smith couldn't have stayed, but I guess you have to cut your losses. The same thing happened with Kasey not too long ago and we ended up having one the best special teams in the league last season. Holding onto the past does have some value, but at what cost?

I hate the changes, but I can actually agree with them so far. I'll just miss having a reason to say "captain" during the game.

Look, I am hoping for the best and am not against the clearing house approach. They just have little cap space to work with and a lot of holes to fill. They will have even LESS space over the next few years, needing to sign Cam and Luke. If he can find some bargains, all the power to him.

Edited by Jayvee

Look, I am hoping for the best and am not against the clearing house approach. They just have little cap space to work with and a lot of holes to fill. They will have even LESS space over the next few years, needing to sign Cam and Luke. If he can find some bargains, all the power to him.

Yep, Hurney did not do the Panthers any favors with the contracts he gave out in his time.  Then this off season we had 21 free agents with $8M cap space.  Doesn't make each player leaving hurt any less but it's a tough spot for the current front office to be in.  Hopefully we find success in some more short term deals like with Ginn and Mike Mitchell last season.  But we're doing the right thing clearing house so that we can sign our core guys in the coming years.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

Yep, Hurney did not do the Panthers any favors with the contracts he gave out in his time.  Then this off season we had 21 free agents with $8M cap space.  Doesn't make each player leaving hurt any less but it's a tough spot for the current front office to be in. 

Uhhhh, yeah. Charles Johnson making $12.6 mil a year is one of the biggest jokes in the NFL. Not to mention our 2 RBs (who barely run the ball) make a combined $16 mil year. It's outrageous.

Yeah, the Panthers need more top-tier receivers like the NFL Champion Seahawks have, such as.....errrr......ummmmmmm.  But seriously, top tier receivers and running backs are way over-valued, so I guess I'm not in a panic over the receiver situation.

If Gettleman doesn't build an O-line that can actually protect Cam and block for the running backs, nothing else will matter.

I agree our O-Line is the biggest problem area, and needs to be the main focus.

Also, James Jones and Jerricho Cotchery are looking into and interested in the Panthers......greeeaaaattt  :yawn:  <_<

That would actually be better than what we had last year, and likely cheaper.  Add to that a 1st round WR and we have a pretty decent receiving core.  Don't forget at the start of last season, the no-name squad of WR's the Seahawks had.

BAD news for the panthers. He will probably miss the beginning of camp, thus missing time getting used to the new people he will be throwing to, and the new people that will be blocking him. It says "minor" and that he won't miss most of camp. 4 months out doesn't sound minor to me, and I certainly hope he doesn't miss any camp and makes a complete and full recovery.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000335038/article/cam-newton-to-undergo-ankle-surgery-on-wednesday

Edited by Jayvee

Man, the hits keep coming...  Well, at least the Panthers ARE consistent at one thing.  They still have never strung together back to back winning seasons.  Looks like this will be continuing the trend with another mediocre season again, and that's probably wishful thinking.

• Like 1

Man, the hits keep coming...  Well, at least the Panthers ARE consistent at one thing.  They still have never strung together back to back winning seasons.  Looks like this will be continuing the trend with another mediocre season again, and that's probably wishful thinking.

They will absolutely not be 12-4 (or better), that is 99.999999% certain.

Other bright side is we got him for next to nothing...down side he is coming off his "career" year, avg a whopping less than 1 TD catch a game.

I could be wrong, but I think our entire group of receivers averaged less that a TD catch a game last year.

Other bright side is we got him for next to nothing...down side he is coming off his "career" year, avg a whopping less than 1 TD catch a game.

It's pretty rare for a receiver to average more than 1 TD per game. I think Steve Smith did it once. Muhammad did it once.

If you hit double digits in TDs as a receiver, you had a damn good year.

It's pretty rare for a receiver to average more than 1 TD per game. I think Steve Smith did it once. Muhammad did it once.

If you hit double digits in TDs as a receiver, you had a damn good year.

Yeah I kinda realized what i said after I posted it haha. Just hoping for the best from the team, but I've just been let down so much by a hometown team.

I would be very happy to have him as a #1 receiver.... but this seems very odd.

It's because he has an insanely shady past. My good friend is an Eagles fan and most hardcore Philly fans hated him because he is a pure thug. There's all kinds of rumors and talks of him murdering for gangs in Cali.....now that being said, the NFL is full of thugs and if Riverboat Ron can keep him in line, and we get him for a good price I am ALL for this. He is a true talent.