A permanent farmers market downtown

gs3

With the great success of the Saturday Market, I know there has been talk of a permanent downtown farmers market. Is this about to come to fruition? Does the city have funding? Has anyone seen a rendering / site plan? Anyone know the location?

Look at the link I stumbled on:

http://3blmedia.com/theCSRfeed/Keep-America-Beautiful-Affiliates-Receive-%E2%80%9CPower-Green%E2%80%9D-Grants

And look at this sentence from the link:

"Keep Greenville County Beautiful will create a sustainable demonstration garden/classroom that will transform a stagnant downtown site into a sustainable public garden, adjacent to a new Farmer’s Market Pavilion."

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is very intriguing! I think it would be great, and quite successful, especially if someone might offer some fresh veggies in a somewhat prepared manner for office workers on their lunch hours as a healthy option.

There's lots of opportune locations in the West End. I still would really like to see a walkway along the railroad tracks between Rhett and Augusta Streets, crossing over Main. A farmers market opening out onto this pathway could be quite successful and adopt a locomotive theme in a subtle manner.

Otherwise, something in a more populated and centralized location would be nice. Running parallel to the Church St bridge, with a pedestrian garden under neath the roadway?

I have thought for a long time that a Farmer's Market would be a perfect fit for DT Greenville. I think the West End would be best, or maybe West Washington Street.

Very interesting to hear this might actually come about. Has anyone else heard anything on this?

Greenville really needs to find a permanent downtown transit option. With such infrastructure, the location would really not matter. You could ignore the population clusters and truly aim the location at a key redevelopment position. Similarly, people could depend on the system for other non-leisure activities, but as it stand right now, the trolley isn't a commuting option or grocery shopping mode of travel.

A location off the main thoroughfare but not too far away from the pedestrian areas would be perfect. I don't want to devote prime real estate to a farmer's market, but instead use a piece of land that can benefit from added foot traffic and also allow space for people to park nearby. Making a farmer's market part of the Pete Hollis Gateway area wouldn't be bad at all...

A location off the main thoroughfare but not too far away from the pedestrian areas would be perfect. I don't want to devote prime real estate to a farmer's market, but instead use a piece of land that can benefit from added foot traffic and also allow space for people to park nearby. Making a farmer's market part of the Pete Hollis Gateway area wouldn't be bad at all...

Hmm, maybe it could help be a facilitator between Main and Heritage Green? It could also help establish more residential near that end of things.

With the great success of the Saturday Market, I know there has been talk of a permanent downtown farmers market. Is this about to come to fruition? Does the city have funding? Has anyone seen a rendering / site plan? Anyone know the location?

Look at the link I stumbled on:

http://3blmedia.com/theCSRfeed/Keep-America-Beautiful-Affiliates-Receive-%E2%80%9CPower-Green%E2%80%9D-Grants

And look at this sentence from the link:

"Keep Greenville County Beautiful will create a sustainable demonstration garden/classroom that will transform a stagnant downtown site into a sustainable public garden, adjacent to a new Farmer’s Market Pavilion."

The press release identifies the project as in GreenVILLE, but the page to which the item is linked actually is related to GreenWOOD! That city is indeed working on a master plan to move the farmers' market to a new site. Apparently those folk up in Connecticut got the two cities mixed up.

Actually, Greenville leaders are interested in developing a permanent farmers market, according to bits of information in recent publications and interviews.

p2y2r7o, have you or your mom tried Tomato Vine on Old Buncombe Road? It is worth checking out.

Actually, Greenville leaders are interested in developing a permanent farmers market, according to bits of information in recent publications and interviews.

p2y2r7o, have you or your mom tried Tomato Vine on Old Buncombe Road? It is worth checking out.

Haven't. I actually know exactly what you're talking about and had completely forgotten about it until now!

Archived