Columbia- Then and Now

Spartan

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

I can notice the difference between the pictures and just columbia. It was definitely a lack of towers.It looks similars to greenville skyline now.Theres definitely been slowly but surely progress in the 90's. A lot of the new stuff we see around the city have just been built within the last 3 to 4 yrs.The reason I love cola because the city is going to make big name by itself. No I-85.no tourist attraction just hydogen cell.A city setting a name forself. :yahoo::rofl:

Great shots. Thanks for posting these, Spartan. :thumbsup:

One positive thing you notice is the highrise density has thickened up a bit. It's hard to tell by the aerial shots just how different they skyline would look from the perspective shown in the awesome "now" photo.

803metlife, I would say that despite the obvious difference in highrise density, Columbia's skyline looks similar to Greenville's. By that, I mean that it has much room for growth and variation in architectural styles. The buildings (except for The Meridian) are too boxy and rather plain - just like most of Greenville's highrises. Columbia will set itself apart when someone builds a unique signature highrise that says, "This is Columbia and nowhere else." I hope the day is soon in arrival! :shades:

No I-85.no tourist attraction just hydogen cell.A city setting a name forself. :yahoo::rofl:

No I-85, but I-26, 1-20 and I-77. Columbia has more interstates than any other major SC city. As a matter of fact, the city even has more interstates running through it than Charlotte. That alone should give Columbia another boost ;)

Back to the subject. Is it the distance the picture was taken or is it that the Wilbur Smith building (or whatever it was called then) looked glossier and better than it does now. Or maybe it just needs a good bath right about now :)

Back to the subject. Is it the distance the picture was taken or is it that the Wilbur Smith building (or whatever it was called then) looked glossier and better than it does now. Or maybe it just needs a good bath right about now :)

Wilbur Smith was fka: Bank of America Tower

Also, some key differences include the County Library, a treeless (and probably 4 lane) Main St, and a general lack of trees everywhere. Columbia hasw really greened itself up in the past 20 years.

Wilbur Smith was fka: Bank of America Tower

Also, some key differences include the County Library, a treeless (and probably 4 lane) Main St, and a general lack of trees everywhere. Columbia hasw really greened itself up in the past 20 years.

Actually, that treeless, 4 lane road in the middle of the photo is Assembly street. Its now covered with trees on both sides and much of its median. Overall its quite nice. Its rolling hills adding a nice effect too.

Here's an arial shot that doesn't do it justice but you can see the trees as well as the edge of Finlay Park: http://maps.google.com/?t=h&ll=34.004591,-...005185,0.010064

Actually, that treeless, 4 lane road in the middle of the photo is Assembly street. Its now covered with trees on both sides and much of its median. Overall its quite nice. Its rolling hills adding a nice effect too.

Here's an arial shot that doesn't do it justice but you can see the trees as well as the edge of Finlay Park: http://maps.google.com/?t=h&ll=34.004591,-...005185,0.010064

I know that is Assembly. If you look at 1st picture above, you can see a bit of Main St. Its hard to say if its 4 lanes, but it looks as if it could be, so I took an educated guess. Its definately treeless though.

And one more old pic:

citycolumbiasc-old.jpg

What I notice right off about this picture is the absence of the Richland County Public Library, Carolina First in place of Belk, the Meridian Tower and First Citizen's new building. To those of you who know where all of these are, imagine the same picture with them in it.

In the very first image I posted, the First Union building is not there (the blue glass one), and they haven't cleared the land for those surface parking lots facing assembly behind these two buildings. Also, they are clearing the lot for that parking deck on Assembly (which is visible in the 3rd image.

No I-85, but I-26, I-20 and I-77. Columbia has more interstates than any other major SC city

Not too many cities can claim to have that many 1di & 2di interstates.

Los Angeles has I-5 and I-10

Boston has I-90, I-93

Indianpolis has I-65, I-70. I-69 and I-74 use the Indy Beltway

New York City has I-95, I-78 and I-87

Birmingham has I-59, I-20, I-65

St Louis has has I-55, I-44, I-70, I-64 (all together at one point crossing the Mississippi River to/from downtown)

Not too many cities can claim to have that many 1di & 2di interstates.

Los Angeles has I-5 and I-10

Boston has I-90, I-93

Indianpolis has I-65, I-70. I-69 and I-74 use the Indy Beltway

New York City has I-95, I-78 and I-87

Birmingham has I-59, I-20, I-65

St Louis has has I-55, I-44, I-70, I-64 (all together at one point crossing the Mississippi River to/from downtown)

Plus we have a UPS Southeastern air shipping hub here.

Great shots. Thanks for posting these, Spartan. :thumbsup:

One positive thing you notice is the highrise density has thickened up a bit. It's hard to tell by the aerial shots just how different they skyline would look from the perspective shown in the awesome "now" photo.

803metlife, I would say that despite the obvious difference in highrise density, Columbia's skyline looks similar to Greenville's. By that, I mean that it has much room for growth and variation The buildings (except for The Meridian) are too boxy and rather plain - just like most of Greenville's highrises. Columbia will set itself apart when someone builds a unique signature highrise that says, "This is Columbia and nowhere else." I hope the day is soon in arrival! :shades:

That's a plus for columbia and greenvile.Both cities have so much room to grow and in yrs the architectural styles will only get better.I love all the carolina cities. charlotte,greenville,columbia,charleston raleigh etc. no carolina city has no big advantage over the other, not even charlotte.All five have small downtowns that as soon as you riding in your riding right out.But I think the carolina thing is catching on.And all the states we envy,will soon envy us. :thumbsup:

actually it was built as the NCNB (North Carolina National Bank) building.

Actually, for the first 15 years or so of its existence it was the Bankers Trust Building. NCNB and Bankers Trust merged in the late 80's I believe. After that it was know as the Nationsbank Building, then B of A and now Wilbur Smith, which is a consulting engineering firm based in Columbia with offices on 5 continents.

Actually, for the first 15 years or so of its existence it was the Bankers Trust Building. NCNB and Bankers Trust merged in the late 80's I believe. After that it was know as the Nationsbank Building, then B of A and now Wilbur Smith, which is a consulting engineering firm based in Columbia with offices on 5 continents.

I hated it when they changed the name from BOA to Wilbur Smith....that sounds like a horse's name :sick:

No, it sounds like a pig's name...have you not read Charlotte's Web? :P

But Wilbur Smith is definitely a jewel in Columbia's economic crown, employing more than 800 professionals in 70 offices worldwide. I think we can live with the name. :thumbsup:

Its been a while....now i remember lol...why did they name it that anyways?

Archived