Columbia- Then and Now

Spartan

No I-85, but I-26, 1-20 and I-77. Columbia has more interstates than any other major SC city. As a matter of fact, the city even has more interstates running through it than Charlotte. That alone should give Columbia another boost ;)

Back to the subject. Is it the distance the picture was taken or is it that the Wilbur Smith building (or whatever it was called then) looked glossier and better than it does now. Or maybe it just needs a good bath right about now :)

If Columbia would have built "AROUND" the interstates, then the area probably would have developed a lot quicker. Bush River Road and Malfunction Junction would have been a great place for midrise buildings and booming retail shopping.

Too bad it didn't work out that way :(

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, for the first 15 years or so of its existence it was the Bankers Trust Building. NCNB and Bankers Trust merged in the late 80's I believe. After that it was know as the Nationsbank Building, then B of A and now Wilbur Smith, which is a consulting engineering firm based in Columbia with offices on 5 continents.

You may be correct in that was Bankers Trust (my memory doesn't work that far back...LOL), but the merger that created Nationsbank was between C&S and NCNB, and that occured in 1989 or so. I was a C&S Employee at that time and remember the merger vividly. Bankers Trust must have been gobbled up by NCNB earlier.

If Columbia would have built "AROUND" the interstates, then the area probably would have developed a lot quicker. Bush River Road and Malfunction Junction would have been a great place for midrise buildings and booming retail shopping.

Too bad it didn't work out that way :(

I wouldn't take anything for Columbia's uninterrupted grid. The last thing I'd want is for an interstate to divide the downtown area.

You may be correct in that was Bankers Trust (my memory doesn't work that far back...LOL), but the merger that created Nationsbank was between C&S and NCNB, and that occured in 1989 or so. I was a C&S Employee at that time and remember the merger vividly. Bankers Trust must have been gobbled up by NCNB earlier.[/q]

That is correct, the gobbling of Bankers trust occurred a year or 2 before that.

I remember having this old South Carolina History textbook in my dad's home and on the backcover was an aerial of Downtown Columbia with those giant field lights going down Main Street when Palmetto Center and Wilbur Smith were the lone modern highrises. Next time I'm in town, I'll see if I can locate it.

Here's another photo of Main St from the mid 60's. Notice how close Main St comes to the state house. Also, none of the more modern high rises have been built yet (Wachovia(s), Marriot, Southtrust, Wilbur Smith, etc)

15373117.gif

Here's a view looking up/north Main St from the early 80's from the state house. I can't believe those lights in the median - wow!

15373703.gif

Those are great old pics digihoop. You even found the one with the field/stadium lights going down Main Street. Whomever came up with that idea, needs to receive the award for Best Urban Improvement. :D

I remember when the stadium lights were put in; they were designed by Abe Feder, a Broadway lighting designer, lol. The lights were supposed to make Main Street safer and bring people back downtown.

Those are cool pics :) I have always enjoyed seeing pictures with Senate running through.

I think that whoever decided to remove those stadium lights should be the award for Best Urban Improvement ;)

:thumbsup: I was being sarcastic but does anyone know if the lights had any success at all? I wonder if they were still standing by the time I was born, lol. I'd love to see someone try that now, especially with all the residential development. How could people sleep in those hotel rooms? I imagine it most have been like noon around the clock.

That block where our state's tallest currently sits has certainly had its fair share of occupants, has it not?

I wouldn't be surprised if some day far in the future the current occupant is replaced with something better.

:thumbsup: I was being sarcastic but does anyone know if the lights had any success at all? I wonder if they were still standing by the time I was born, lol. I'd love to see someone try that now, especially with all the residential development. How could people sleep in those hotel rooms? I imagine it most have been like noon around the clock.

I wouldn't be surprised if some day far in the future the current occupant is replaced with something better.

Me either cause it's nothing special lol

No, it sounds like a pig's name...have you not read Charlotte's Web? :P

But Wilbur Smith is definitely a jewel in Columbia's economic crown, employing more than 800 professionals in 70 offices worldwide. I think we can live with the name. :thumbsup:

Had to giggle. I work with Wilbur Smith Associates in their Marketing division, and we often discuss our public image. And yes, Mr. Ed's "WIILLLBUURRRR!" and the Charlotte's Web pig come up on occasion.

Your description of our firm is correct, krazeeboi. Thanks!!!

As a little aside - in legal actuality, the building is still the Bank of America Building. When we renegotiated our lease a couple of years ago, the owners offered to put our name on the building as one incentive for us not to move to the Meridian.

^Ahhh, thanks for that tidbit. And from what I understand, Meridian has done a pretty good job in getting tenants.

krazee, I think they've done ok. They took the McNair Lawfirm from our building. I wish they'd do better with the restaurant occupant in the street level. First it was Garden Bistro and I tried them once. Very bad experience.

Now Birds on a Wire has moved in. I was treated to a meal there recently. I'll swear they are cooking Cornish Hens and not fryers! Durn little 1/4 of a chicken was more like an appetizer than a meal. The sides were good.

Was Main Street dead even during the 1970s and especially the 1980s when Belk, Macy's and Tapp's were still there? The ocean of parking lots around Belk's and the small size of the retail district (perhaps four blocks?) suggests that developers weren't rushing to build more retail space then, but I would have expected that three department stores would have generated a decent amount of activity and small-store development.

Thanks.

Archived