2 hours ago, sunshine said:

Some of the great airports I had been

1. Hong Kong airport

2. Seoul Airport

3. Barcelona Airport

4. Kuala Lumpur Airport

United States airports

1. None

For me I hate wasting my time at the airport, the best airport would allow me to get to the airport 1 hour before my flight and just get on my plane and leave. Unfortunately, that only happended in very small airport and in city that nobody wants to go.  ie. Wichita

Tokyo has the best bathrooms. In their international terminal the door changes from blue to red when it is occupied, the seat automatically raises when you round the corner.  Next too you is a control panel for heated seat, front and rear spray along with flow controls.

Every month keeps increasing the rolling year tally. Now up to 41,072,223 for the past 12 months through July. Honestly, It is not far fetched to think that by year end, we will have crossed 42 million people. If we continue at the currant rate, in 5 short years, we may need to start planning phase 2 of the South terminal complex. 

Edited by shardoon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

It was be interesting to see how many of those 42 million passengers use the mass transit options coming to the airport.

I think our increased airport use should be another major factor in promoting mass transit in Orlando and Central Florida. As opposed to other major airports, like Atlanta, Orlando is the terminus for most travelers and not just a layover airport. 

Looking at transit in Charlotte (which got our light rail money and is currently expanding that original system) and Portland (which has multiple streetcar and light rail lines), it's surprising to see that they're not much bigger than us and that we're the fastest growing of the three. Hopefully by the time SunRail connects to the airport we'll have weekend service...

22 Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC Metropolitan Statistical Area 2,426,363 2,217,012 +9.44% Charlotte-Concord, NC-SC Combined Statistical Area
23 Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA Metropolitan Statistical Area 2,389,228 2,226,009 +7.33% Portland-Vancouver-Salem, OR-WA Combined Statistical Area
24 Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL Metropolitan Statistical Area 2,387,138 2,134,411 +11.84% Orlando-Deltona-Daytona Beach, FL Combined Statistical Area

Currently the mass transit options are being run primarily by Mears branded Disney. We are a destination, not for business travelers alone but families with heavy luggage needs. Our convention business is so reliant on bringing the spouse and kids after all. And that portage requirement is best served through point to point coach rather than rail where the last mile is a huge nuisance.  

I am though a pure amateur in these matters but as everyone else seems to know my job as well I don't feel guilty in asserting Orlando is a special and in some ways unique destination. Any comparisons to other cities have to look at not the total number of people in MCO but segments. We are not a hub so the huge numbers of an ATL where you grab a meal and a libation are far different from us where people save money to bring into our economy. 

As such, how big of a segment do you see any other public transport (not the same as mass transport I would assert) being? Perhaps not quite as paltry year long as Madison Wisconsin but close I think.

Thank you for your indulgence. 

I think my problem in waiting for the environment to be "ripe for rail" is a bit like waiting for a bus at a bus stop you haven't built yet. 

Transit-oriented cities aren't accidents and they don't happen organically. It takes a lot of foresight and planning. To put it another way -- before SunRail was given the green light, how many rail-centric apartment projects were there? Literally none.

Build the rail, the private industry will take care of the rest.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, castorvx said:

I think my problem in waiting for the environment to be "ripe for rail" is a bit like waiting for a bus at a bus stop you haven't built yet. 

Transit-oriented cities aren't accidents and they don't happen organically. It takes a lot of foresight and planning. To put it another way -- before SunRail was given the green light, how many rail-centric apartment projects were there? Literally none.

Build the rail, the private industry will take care of the rest.

Exactly.  Development follows the lead of infrastructure.

• 2 weeks later...

Heard a few interesting rumors about changes at the Executive Airport.

What is NOT rumor is they are building two more hangars (#15 & #16) on the Crystal Lake side between Robinson and Livingston. Now this is where I was unable to independently verify anything else:

OFD Station 6 is supposedly relocating to the other side of the airfield off of Rickenbacker I believe. (Where has to do with the location of "the OPD SWAT hangar" on the airport grounds, which I think to be the hangar by the old 4th Fighter Group Restaurant site). The reasoning for the move is three fold:

1. They are packed tight at the old fire station especially as they recently acquired a new heavy (3 axle) Crash Truck to replace the smaller, older, leaky truck.
  2. Response times to Baldwin Park (which 6 is primary service for) will be much improved.
  3. OPD is vacating the facility to consolidate so much cheaper to make a few changes than build new.

Rumors continue that the old station will be demo'd and a WaWa built on the site. And finally the airport is ready to also finally build the 4 storey hotel with a restaurant on top.

This info came from someone who is familiar with operations at FS 6. Anyone else able to comment?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Dale said:

Is it still a train station to nowhere ? At last check, the Orlando to WPB line was in limbo.

They have to figure it out though - and I'm not saying that as an Orlando fanboy, just...Brightline doesn't make any sense if it's only going from WPB to Ft. Lauderdale to Miami.  Tri-Rail already exists.  Without Orlando, it's an entirely redundant service. 

I'm not worried about it.  They'll figure out the "other" funding source I'm sure, and I'm sure their buddy the Governor will help it get figured out.  Otherwise, they may ask GOAA or Orange County for some $$$.  I doubt the other counties along the route  up from WPB won't give a penny towards it b/c there are no stations there.

The new trains / people movers are now being installed.  A news report on WESH stated that the construction/replacement will run until 2018.  An OIA official said that the delay for whichever tram is currently under construction will be approximately 10 minutes.  If that singular tram is down, there will be buses to take travelers to the other part of that terminal to get on another tram.  "How will that be," you ask.

Oh, fantastic! I went to the airport last night to pick someone up.  He didn't know what was going on and not much in guidance.  The tram was down.  He waited about 20 minutes before enough people figured out there was a small "detour" sign leading people down stairs to find the bus.  They were not informed that it would take them to another gate to wait in another line to get on a tram.

I was the fortunate person circling with a few hundred others around Terminal B Arriving Flights like the Griswolds driving by Big Ben in European Vacation.  "Look kids!  Big Ben, Parliament." except I was saying "Look! Terminal B, Arriving Flights."  I was driving around for almost an hour because it was only supposed to be a few more minutes.

2 hours ago, bulldogger said:

The new trains / people movers are now being installed.  A news report on WESH stated that the construction/replacement will run until 2018.  An OIA official said that the delay for whichever tram is currently under construction will be approximately 10 minutes.  If that singular tram is down, there will be buses to take travelers to the other part of that terminal to get on another tram.  "How will that be," you ask.

Oh, fantastic! I went to the airport last night to pick someone up.  He didn't know what was going on and not much in guidance.  The tram was down.  He waited about 20 minutes before enough people figured out there was a small "detour" sign leading people down stairs to find the bus.  They were not informed that it would take them to another gate to wait in another line to get on a tram.

I was the fortunate person circling with a few hundred others around Terminal B Arriving Flights like the Griswolds driving by Big Ben in European Vacation.  "Look kids!  Big Ben, Parliament." except I was saying "Look! Terminal B, Arriving Flights."  I was driving around for almost an hour because it was only supposed to be a few more minutes.

wow.  saw that. experienced that.  last night United Airlines flight arriving around 11:30pm--- no trams!  buses shuttling people to the terminal.  big delay.