Metro Orlando Airport News

bic

Great photos.  But you know, pictures don't do this thing justice.  It is really big.  It's very tall; not small by any stretch.  I don't know the best way to capture it's essence in a photo.  Maybe a big zoom lens from a greater distance.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

The Passport Control area in the South Terminal renderings looks great.  Foreign travelers gain their first impression of a city/country as they de-board a plane and go through customs.  The majority of passport control areas in the US are downright embarrassing.

Once Phase I of the South Terminal (Terminal C?) opens, I think they are going to have to gut part of the original landside terminal on the west side where OPD and TSA is; there's just no room there; it's horrible.  The Hyatt side is great.

19 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Anybody know what's being discussed in this article (with regards to rail)?

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2017/07/19/check-out-new-airportprojects-possible-rail.html

I don't have a subscription to read the article, but I was able to grab the photos. Unfortunately, they don't show anything about the rail connection. 

screen-shot-2017-06-22-at-101944-am.png

screen-shot-2017-06-22-at-101936-am.png

screen-shot-2017-06-22-at-101924-am.png

screen-shot-2017-06-22-at-101916-am.png

screen-shot-2017-06-22-at-101907-am.png

screen-shot-2017-06-22-at-101900-am.png

screen-shot-2017-06-22-at-101853-am.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, castorvx said:

In the future, we will be banned from bringing literally anything on an airplane. This picture is prescient 

ooh, a double edged sword.  no more mass shopping if you can't bring it back with you.  maybe a boost in business for FedEx, DHL, and UPS?

6 hours ago, codypet said:

Not yet resolved.  They have larger worries than getting Phase 2 started.

Despite what FOX News would have us believe, agencies like Amtrak and Lynx did not come to exist because those darn libruls wanted the government to take over.

No, they happened because of often poor management and the simple fact the private companies preceding them could no longer be bothered with carrying passengers (Penn Central being the straw that broke the camel's back in Amtrak's case and the Orlando "Go With Bo" Transit Co. in Lynx').

Meanwhile, Republicans in Congress have long refused to allow Amtrak to make the investments it needs to be truly successful (and  it has to run interstate routes through flyover country without sufficient density to get red state votes for what funds it does have, which magnifies the problem.) Republicans on the Orange and Seminole County Commissions have long starved Lynx of the dedicated funding source it needs to be a reliable service.

Just like Jeb's Road to Damascus conversion on SunRail had little to do with caring about transit for central FL and everything to do with the sweetheart deal for CSX, FECRR's sudden interest in the Brightline was more about great property deals in rapidly appreciating downtowns than with caring about moving tourists (FECRR refused to let Amtrak use its tracks for decades.)

Hopefully, this will all work out since we're this far into it. But the history involved suggests otherwise.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Despite what FOX News would have us believe, agencies like Amtrak and Lynx did not come to exist because those darn libruls wanted the government to take over.

No, they happened because of often poor management and the simple fact the private companies preceding them could no longer be bothered with carrying passengers (Penn Central being the straw that broke the camel's back in Amtrak's case and the Orlando "Go With Bo" Transit Co. in Lynx').

Meanwhile, Republicans in Congress have long refused to allow Amtrak to make the investments it needs to be truly successful (and  it has to run interstate routes through flyover country without sufficient density to get red state votes for what funds it does have, which magnifies the problem.) Republicans on the Orange and Seminole County Commissions have long starved Lynx of the dedicated funding source it needs to be a reliable service.

Just like Jeb's Road to Damascus conversion on SunRail had little to do with caring about transit for central FL and everything to do with the sweetheart deal for CSX, FECRR's sudden interest in the Brightline was more about great property deals in rapidly appreciating downtowns than with caring about moving tourists (FECRR refused to let Amtrak use its tracks for decades.)

Hopefully, this will all work out since we're this far into it. But the history involved suggests otherwise.

Well, be fair and be sure to mention that Republican John Mica spearheaded the Sunrail/ CSX deal, and stuck with it even though it suffered setback after setback.  I don't know of a Dem who cared as much to see a project through like this for so many years in that type of position.  But what did Jeb have to do with Sunrail?  I thought the big push happened under Crist and finished with Scott.

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong - John Mica was quite helpful (certainly compared to other Republicans.) But Mica's interests always were driven by the interest of his contributors (the same folks who want to give us double tolls on toll roads for Lexus lanes like Seminole's portion of the 417) and his power on the Transportation Committee. Nevertheless, we take support how we can find it.

Jeb had to do with ever permitting the SunRail deal to get as far as Charlie. It was in the works and got shot down several times before it finally passed. Without Jeb's OK before and after he left office, it never would have cleared the GOP legislature.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rolling 12 months already up to 43.1 million passengers. With all the new service, domestic and international, along with Disney and Universal continuing their expansions...........we will push 50 million within 3 to 4 years. Its a good thing the South Terminal was pushed through sooner rather than later............. just wished they would have started on the terminal first instead of the billion dollar train station with no trains. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shardoon said:

Rolling 12 months already up to 43.1 million passengers. With all the new service, domestic and international, along with Disney and Universal continuing their expansions...........we will push 50 million within 3 to 4 years. Its a good thing the South Terminal was pushed through sooner rather than later............. just wished they would have started on the terminal first instead of the billion dollar train station with no trains. 

I think they built when they did because the money was earmarked for it already for that fiscal year.  Yeah, I agree. 

Brightline looks to be delayed a bit. 

And there's no telling when a Sunrail related train system may be going into there.  It looks like they would have to build or expand an existing station because the train to OIA would be like a circulator between the intermodal center and the closest Sunrail station and nothing more (at least initially).  There's no room to expand the Sunrail SLR station, so they might have to build a new station for this purpose or try using Meadowoods Station (u/c).  I don't know.

So, it looks like the Maglev people or the company behind it from Europe didn't agree with GOAA about the money they wanted from offsetting cab fees the airport would lose if a train was there.  They may be entertaining or inviting other private bids from elsewhere.

Happy about the 43.1M.  great news.  Get CLEAR if you don't want to wait at all in security.

19 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I think they built when they did because the money was earmarked for it already for that fiscal year.  Yeah, I agree. 

Brightline looks to be delayed a bit. 

And there's no telling when a Sunrail related train system may be going into there.  It looks like they would have to build or expand an existing station because the train to OIA would be like a circulator between the intermodal center and the closest Sunrail station and nothing more (at least initially).  There's no room to expand the Sunrail SLR station, so they might have to build a new station for this purpose or try using Meadowoods Station (u/c).  I don't know.

So, it looks like the Maglev people or the company behind it from Europe didn't agree with GOAA about the money they wanted from offsetting cab fees the airport would lose if a train was there.  They may be entertaining or inviting other private bids from elsewhere.

Happy about the 43.1M.  great news.  Get CLEAR if you don't want to wait at all in security.

Last I'd heard, this was the plan.  Let's just say its a circus there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, codypet said:

Last I'd heard, this was the plan.  Let's just say its a circus there.

yeah.  I'm really curious to see how this all plays out.  there's another issue out there involving our CRT system and the FRA.  It could be trouble down the road..

2 hours ago, shardoon said:

This came out of left field. A legacy carrier is expanding service to Amsterdam. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2017/08/07/delta-adds-non-stop-amsterdam-flight-to-orlando.html

that's fantastic.  No longer need to connect out of Detroit with Northwest or elsewhere (Hartsfield) with Delta?  I can't remember right now.  Amsterdam is a great place.

2 hours ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

If I remember correctly there have been flights from Orlando to Amsterdam via Orlando - Sanford International airport for quite a while.

...and there still are ArkeFly or something like that.  I think it's a combo where the flight leaves Sanford direct but comes back directly from Shiphol to Miami and then you connect.  I think this is how that flight goes.

22 hours ago, shardoon said:

This came out of left field. A legacy carrier is expanding service to Amsterdam. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2017/08/07/delta-adds-non-stop-amsterdam-flight-to-orlando.html

This is great news.  I love Amsterdam.  It's really one of the friendliest cities in Europe.  Great beer scene.  I'm not a partaker of weed, but if that's your thing they have it, too.

Edited by HankStrong
  • Like 1