bic

Metro Orlando Airport News

16 hours ago, bqknight said:

Sometimes you have to go through security more than once in a single terminal. Newark rings a bell. Just was there and wanted to use some United Club passes but was flying JetBlue. All in A Terminal but had to go through security twice as they were in different A sections. 

Yes.  I've had to do it a few times, but it seems like the exception instead of the rule.  I just hope they find a way to update A & B to the quality of future C & D.

On 4/3/2018 at 7:24 AM, HankStrong said:

Yes.  I've had to do it a few times, but it seems like the exception instead of the rule.  I just hope they find a way to update A & B to the quality of future C & D.

Long term plan will be to flat out replace A&B when C&D are fully built out.  Person I know with the airport told me it "would not be in either of our lifetimes".  I wasn't even 30 when they told me that.

3 hours ago, codypet said:

Long term plan will be to flat out replace A&B when C&D are fully built out.  Person I know with the airport told me it "would not be in either of our lifetimes".  I wasn't even 30 when they told me that.

That would be way too expensive.....especially with all the money they are dumping into it to expand the ticketing lobbies of A/B. One option is to add the third wing to the southwest terminal.  I don't think any more expansion to the airsides can be done outside of the Southwest terminal because the TSA screening bottleneck prohibits that.  One option would be a Terminal E/F somewhere where the original 1970s terminal was near the North  end and the mirror image site on the west of Jeff Fiqua connected by another APM to terminal A/B.   However, the most probable, realistic, easiest, and cheapest alternative is to build a a brand new terminal E/F/G/H East and West of Heintzelman Blvd as well as East of runway 17L/35R. One thing OIA has that other airports in the country can only dream of is land...... and lots of it.  Building out everything that I discussed probably brings the capacity to 200-300 million passengers, which is unrealistic that we would ever need it in over 20 generations........... but just saying, it could be done lol. 

1 hour ago, shardoon said:

That would be way too expensive.....especially with all the money they are dumping into it to expand the ticketing lobbies of A/B. One option is to add the third wing to the southwest terminal.  I don't think any more expansion to the airsides can be done outside of the Southwest terminal because the TSA screening bottleneck prohibits that.  One option would be a Terminal E/F somewhere where the original 1970s terminal was near the North  end and the mirror image site on the west of Jeff Fiqua connected by another APM to terminal A/B.   However, the most probable, realistic, easiest, and cheapest alternative is to build a a brand new terminal E/F/G/H East and West of Heintzelman Blvd as well as East of runway 17L/35R. One thing OIA has that other airports in the country can only dream of is land...... and lots of it.  Building out everything that I discussed probably brings the capacity to 200-300 million passengers, which is unrealistic that we would ever need it in over 20 generations........... but just saying, it could be done lol. 

Same source has told me there will never be a buildout of the Southwest terminal because there's no sight line from the tower to that corner if that wing of the building is built out.  When it was originally envisioned, it was going to have the old tower and a local control like the Delta side had.   When the new tower was built, that plan changed.  Remember the timeline I'm saying:  Not in my lifetime would likely be more than 70 years from now (putting current terminals A&B at over 100 yeard old).  The upgrades to the existing airport will be well long in the tooth at that point.

Edited by codypet

9 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Movin' on up (cue George Jefferson dance) to #11 at OIA (from #13).
http://bit.ly/2FavNXG

From the Sentinel

what's funny is that Charlotte's terminal is not that big.  But I did have to connect through there on Delta or United to fly to Europe last year.  I know Delta has shifted some of it's connecting flights to Birmingham's airport starting a few years back.  I wonder if they did so with Charlotte.  If they were to shift some conecting flights to OIA, it could boost OIA's numbers way past McCarren.  However, Delta was against OIA expanding, so, fat chance...

New traffic stats up. Through March calendar year 45.479 million passengers at about a 7.5% increase over a year ago.  On track to pull in close to 48 million for 2018. At this rate,  we will reach the 55 million passenger capacity  when the new terminal opens. I do not see any option other than to simply start phase 2 of the terminal right after the ribbon cutting of terminal C.  With Disney's 50 year anniversary in full swing in a few short years and Universal going all in with new parks and investment in Orlando, I see a rapid build out of the South terminal a distinct possibility staggered opening every 3-5 years for each phase.  Besides the domestic component, Orlando is aggressively marketing itself internationally and the Brazil market is recovering. 

• Like 1

Full buildout of Terminal C is a near term plan <15 years with Phase 1 and Phase 2 happening pretty quickly and Phase 3 sometime later.  Terminal D I don't think is on anyone's radar yet, but Terminal C is obviously designed to accommodate Terminal D.

20 minutes ago, codypet said:

Full buildout of Terminal C is a near term plan <15 years with Phase 1 and Phase 2 happening pretty quickly and Phase 3 sometime later.  Terminal D I don't think is on anyone's radar yet, but Terminal C is obviously designed to accommodate Terminal D.

I'm assuming terminal D is the mirror image on the other side of the intermodal center. My question is, when do they start building the sky train? A complete build out of terminal C is large enough to warrant it being built. Obviously when D is built is can complete the circle.

15 hours ago, shardoon said:

I'm assuming terminal D is the mirror image on the other side of the intermodal center. My question is, when do they start building the sky train? A complete build out of terminal C is large enough to warrant it being built. Obviously when D is built is can complete the circle.

Skytrain starts with Phase II of terminal C.

3 hours ago, codypet said:

Skytrain starts with Phase II of terminal C.

Will it connect all terminals behind security?  I've looked for plans on this and not finding anything.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, smileguy said:

Will it connect all terminals behind security?  I've looked for plans on this and not finding anything.

very good question.  O'Hare has a skytrain but it is directly overhead the departures ramp, on the landside.  DFW's skytrain is on the airside I believe.  I didn't know OIA was planning an airside skytrain for connecting flights.  If so, they would have to completely alter the logistics of the baggage handling and create new airside baggage carousels otherwise an airside skytrain would be meaningless.   Unless the skytrain is only for the South Terminal (C & D).

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

very good question.  O'Hare has a skytrain but it is directly overhead the departures ramp, on the landside.  DFW's skytrain is on the airside I believe.  I didn't know OIA was planning an airside skytrain for connecting flights.  If so, they would have to completely alter the logistics of the baggage handling and create new airside baggage carousels otherwise an airside skytrain would be meaningless.   Unless the skytrain is only for the South Terminal (C & D).

From the plans, it looks like it is all behind security, so its sterile just like DFW and DTW. It appears to only be for terminal C and D completeting a circle. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shardoon said:

From the plans, it looks like it is all behind security, so its sterile just like DFW and DTW. It appears to only be for terminal C and D completeting a circle. 

I didn't hear about it before just now, so I googled it, its definitely inside of the security perimeter. Infact, if they continued it after terminal D is completed, it'd go right under the existing bridge and they theoretically could make the original north terminals connect to it as well, solving the aforementioned complaint, but it doesn't appear to be planned, and it would be way too early to plan it anyways, I'm sure it will take quite a while to build 6 more phases of the airport. Even at 5 years a phase, which seems optimistic, we're talking 30+ years

10 minutes ago, aent said:

I didn't hear about it before just now, so I googled it, its definitely inside of the security perimeter. Infact, if they continued it after terminal D is completed, it'd go right under the existing bridge and they theoretically could make the original north terminals connect to it as well, solving the aforementioned complaint, but it doesn't appear to be planned, and it would be way too early to plan it anyways, I'm sure it will take quite a while to build 6 more phases of the airport. Even at 5 years a phase, which seems optimistic, we're talking 30+ years

If it is a sterile train, then it would have to remain sterile at the north terminal.  I do not believe there is a way for it to connect with each airside without affecting plane traffic.  The only option is doing a loop around the main terminal roof East side and West side with a station above the existing people mover station letting out behind security. Too expensive if you ask me. DTW does not connect their new North terminal with McNamara. 

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Latest update on the OIA expansion including Jet Blue anchoring the South terminal:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-orlando-airport-jet-blue-20180516-story,amp.html

From the Sentinel

Jesus is that awful. 

That would have been twenty years out of date twenty years ago.

Looks like a super-sized version of a Federal Marshal Service prisoner transfer terminal.

DdWVsdrU0AAdVrg.jpg:large

Edited by Camillo Sitte

MIA's AA Terminal is really nice; the silver one; it's the one where the Lufthansa A380 docks.

I can't believe the airside "arms" have no skylights especially after the oldest Airsides, 1 & 3, were retrofitted with skylights within the past 5 years.

They added 3 of those double gantry gates to increase it's initial phase to 19 gates.  If you look at the design, I think they did that for symmetry purposes and to split passengers a bit more to the "left" vs the "right" when facing the airsides from the landside terminal.

I'm surprised that they haven't finished Airside 2 yet; that they haven't built out the third "spur" like the other three airsides have.

Edited by jrs2

I think the inside needs more decor, that's all. It's awfully bare - however - I'm sure that will change once advertisers and JetBlue move in. 

10 minutes ago, bqknight said:

I think the inside needs more decor, that's all. It's awfully bare - however - I'm sure that will change once advertisers and JetBlue move in. 

Brawndo!  It's got electrolytes!

25 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Brawndo!  It's got electrolytes!

I'm in the ad business. :tw_naughty:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

I'm surprised that they haven't finished Airside 2 yet; that they haven't built out the third "spur" like the other three airsides have.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, codypet said:

that would explain why Airside 4 has it's own tower.