Metro Orlando Airport News

bic

6 minutes ago, Dale said:

I know the Intermodal Terminal is done. But what about the South Terminal Complex ? I can't find anything about online, at least nothing recent.

Not done... I believe they had groundbreaking just a little bit ago.

1 hour ago, Dale said:

I know the Intermodal Terminal is done. But what about the South Terminal Complex ? I can't find anything about online, at least nothing recent.

there's like a dozen cranes on site doing their thing... for a few months now

On 7/6/2018 at 1:31 PM, jrs2 said:

there's like a dozen cranes on site doing their thing... for a few months now

Looks like they will be going vertical soon.  Phase 2 should start immediately and seamlessly with completion of phase 1 since we should be over the projected capacity in 2021.  Unfortunately, this should have been started 5 years ago, but I guess better late than never. We have been averaging 5-8 percent annual growth for some time now. 

https://orlandoairports.net/press/2018/07/05/orlando-international-airport-south-terminal-construction-progresses/

Edited by shardoon
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, shardoon said:

Am I the only one fascinated by how fast the traffic is growing at OIA? Through June rolling 12 month is at 46.128 million passengers. On a path to smash 47 million by the end of the year. 

Apparently not. I was in the Greenville SC room the other day and they were talking about Frontier expanding service to MCO to 4 flights/week.

Airports are now the economic engines that ports and railroads once were. It has been observed that one key reason Atlanta overtook Birmingham after the 1950's (they were then about the same size) as the capital of the New South was due to Atlanta's more successful airport (today's Hartsfield-Jackson.)

In any event, as Florida's largest airport once again, it bodes well for us.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, shardoon said:

Am I the only one fascinated by how fast the traffic is growing at OIA? Through June rolling 12 month is at 46.128 million passengers. On a path to smash 47 million by the end of the year. 

Likewise, you are definitely not the only one excited about it.  GOAA just needs to keep pushing and expanding the markets OIA will service.

I'm curious if OIA is outpacing other airports' growth rates the past 3 years.  I know they outpaced MIA and, what, Seattle or Phoenix?  

37 minutes ago, Dale said:

OIA may soon be neck-and-neck with Charlotte airport.

Interestingly, Orlando is now neck-and-neck with Charlotte population-wise.

If our % growth between 2016 and 2017 continues this year (and CLT's is similar), we should hit the #10 spot (our numbers are doing well in 2018, so it's a decent bet.) The next hurdle is SEA-TAC, but it looks hard to make that jump based on both their absolute numbers and % growth. So, maybe #10 for a while. We'll take it!

Interesting to see other fast-growing cities we often benchmark with like Nashville (BNA) and Austin (AUS) already in our rear-view mirror.

We've noted before that a successful airport is a huge driver in a city's economic success so this is a good indicator for us. It's one of the positives bequeathed to us by our tourism industry.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_busiest_airports_in_the_United_States

From Wiki

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dale said:

OIA may soon be neck-and-neck with Charlotte airport.

Interestingly, Orlando is now neck-and-neck with Charlotte population-wise.

Charlotte has direct flights to Paris.  We need more of these and/or ATL to divert some of their 110M Delta passengers to OIA to connect.  Just divert 10M over here to boost our numbers into the high 50M's.

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Charlotte has direct flights to Paris.  We need more of these and/or ATL to divert some of their 110M Delta passengers to OIA to connect.  Just divert 10M over here to boost our numbers into the high 50M's.

MCO has direct flights to Paris as well......just on a crappy product...... Norwegian Air

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:56 AM, spenser1058 said:

If our % growth between 2016 and 2017 continues this year (and CLT's is similar), we should hit the #10 spot (our numbers are doing well in 2018, so it's a decent bet.) The next hurdle is SEA-TAC, but it looks hard to make that jump based on both their absolute numbers and % growth. So, maybe #10 for a while. We'll take it!

Interesting to see other fast-growing cities we often benchmark with like Nashville (BNA) and Austin (AUS) already in our rear-view mirror.

We've noted before that a successful airport is a huge driver in a city's economic success so this is a good indicator for us. It's one of the positives bequeathed to us by our tourism industry.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_busiest_airports_in_the_United_States

From Wiki

I wonder if tourism flights are changing for Orlando, i.e., with better rates, many are switching from driving into Orlando to flying into Orlando, like they mostly do in Vegas.

19 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I wonder if tourism flights are changing for Orlando, i.e., with better rates, many are switching from driving into Orlando to flying into Orlando, like they mostly do in Vegas.

When WDW opened it was 80/20 car. Nowadays it's 60/40 air and most of the 40 are Florida residents.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sunshine said:

Orlando needs a direct flight to Asia.

Agreed. However, the Emirates direct flight to Dubai opens up Asia for MCO travelers.  

The expansion of foreign routes at MCO has been nothing short of remarkable. South America was mostly off limits save for Colombia and Brazil and now there are a ton of flights heading down there and the expansion to Europe has been happening as well.  Just flew direct to Paris on Norwegian and not sure why that service would be classified as sub-par. It’s heck of a lot better than most US legacy carriers. 

Airlines like Latam, Avianca, and Norwegian have been aggressively expanding in MCO. All very good signs. 

Edited by leondecollao
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, HankStrong said:

We are going to try this in the fall.  I don't have subpar expectations.

as long as they have padded seats unlike some of the seats in those Airbuses on Frontier and Spirit where the chairs have no backs, then, works for me.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:31 PM, spenser1058 said:

New Canadian airline to, ummmm, Swoop into Orlando this fall with service from Hamilton (about 50 miles from Toronto):
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/consumer/os-bz-swoop-canadian-low-cost-carrier-airport-20180802-story.html

From the Sentinel

I just remembered something from the State of the City address that Mayor Dyer did:  He said, and please CMIIW, that not only could you park at Terminal C's garage, but you could also remotely check in your bags there too.  Did I hear him right?

4 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I just remembered something from the State of the City address that Mayor Dyer did:  He said, and please CMIIW, that not only could you park at Terminal C's garage, but you could also remotely check in your bags there too.  Did I hear him right?

I think that's what I heard also but I rarely fly anymore so I didn't pay close attention.

8 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

You can check your bags.  They have a kiosk set up as you leave the garage and enter C.

• Like 1