Metro Orlando Airport News

bic

• 1 month later...

Well. It seems an Ocala member of the Florida House wanted to kick Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer off the board of OIA (remember, the Orlando mayor is on the board by statute). Orlando OWNS the airport.

Thankfully, it went nowhere. Nevertheless, our esteemed governor did appoint a new member from the Panhandle (ummm, 400 miles away from our airport).

Scott Maxwell of the Sentinel tells the tale better than I can, but I have to ask: is this any way to run a railroad (oops, airport)?

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/os-op-orlando-airport-buddy-dyer-dennis-baxley-scott-maxwell-20190515-qx4qs5k2pnbjzdcd57zlwi3jhq-story.html?outputType=amp

• Like 1

I resent Tallahassee. I hate the idea of ”Pan Handlers” trying to tell us how to run our city. Orlando, in many categories, has been at the forefront of Florida. Number one airport, number one economy, lowest unemployment,  number one population growth, etc.. We are a cash cow to these ppl. Yet we had to beg for Sunrail and finally were successful on the 3rd try, they try to control our airport, control our highway authority, limit our transportation system. Politically , culturally and economically we are a world apart. They do the same to Tampa and Miami.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

I resent Tallahassee. I hate the idea of ”Pan Handlers” trying to tell us how to run our city. Orlando, in many categories, has been at the forefront of Florida. Number one airport, number one economy, lowest unemployment,  number one population growth, etc.. We are a cash cow to these ppl. Yet we had to beg for Sunrail and finally were successful on the 3rd try, they try to control our airport, control our highway authority, limit our transportation system. Politically , culturally and economically we are a world apart. They do the same to Tampa and Miami.

I generally agree with your sentiment, but with regards to the metro itself, Orlando trails Miami metro both in total air traffic (by a lot), population (by a lot), and economy (by a lot).  Orange County is still smaller that SoFla's smallest of the 3 counties, Palm Beach.  And they are all still growing down there and fast. 

The bottom line is that if state taxes pay for stuff that benefits Orlando, then representatives from across the state should have a say, just like we have a say when Miami wants money for something or Tampa, Ft Myers, Pensacola, and vice versa.  If we're paying for it exclusively, then so be it, except we're not- by a long shot.  

9 minutes ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

At the moment Miami does lead. But if you read my comment I said “Growth” . The only metric where Orlando does lead is MCO. MCO is the states number one airport.

I know.  I'm just saying that Orlando is relevant, but Miami is more than double the size and is much more relevant as an economic engine.

But on that note about MCO leading, I recently read that OSI is up to 3.1M passengers annually.  Not bad for a Number 2 airport; not bad at all.

9 minutes ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

oops.. u are right.. I am wrong. Miami overall is number one.  I forgot to add the word growth. Egg on my face

no, you said it right before.  but there is a fallacy about "fastest growing" versus "already established" in everything.  

It’s extremely unusual to place folks from so far away on local boards like that of an airport. 

And the Panhandle contributes nothing like we do in terms of tax revenues and the like. In fact, the peninsula has been propping it up for pretty much the better part of a century.

Let’s face it, if you divided the state in two, the Panhandle would be the economic equivalent of Mississippi.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

It’s extremely unusual to place folks from so far away on local boards like that of an airport. 

And the Panhandle contributes nothing like we do in terms of tax revenues and the like. In fact, the peninsula has been propping it up for pretty much the better part of a century.

Let’s face it, if you divided the state in two, the Panhandle would be the economic equivalent of Mississippi.

it's a power play, then...

• 2 weeks later...

Our march to 50 million passengers continues. Calander year through April just shy of 49 million. Each month, we add 250k to 300k more than the year prior. We may break 51 million at this rate. Just let that sink in. 20 years ago, we were a low end large airport trying to gain mega status. Now, we are neck deep in the big boy club with an entire new terminal being built. In addition, rapid expansion of terminal C will continue in the near future even at grand opening.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shardoon said:

Our march to 50 million passengers continues. Calander year through April just shy of 49 million. Each month, we add 250k to 300k more than the year prior. We may break 51 million at this rate. Just let that sink in. 20 years ago, we were a low end large airport trying to gain mega status. Now, we are neck deep in the big boy club with an entire new terminal being built. In addition, rapid expansion of terminal C will continue in the near future even at grand opening.  

Baffles me why everyone thinks this is good news. Unrestrained and uncontrolled growth are NOT net positives.

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

Baffles me why everyone thinks this is good news. Unrestrained and uncontrolled growth are NOT net positives.

I beg to differ. The increase in traffic is from more tourists, conventioneers, and more seat options for our current population. We have more connections overseas than we ever had.  This is a good thing for our population and our economy. Sure, people make fun of our economy being low wage etc........ but this is what Orlando is. Without tourism, Orlando is a glorified Lakeland with Lockheed Martin as their main industry.   

FYI, I have no doubt that the airport would be just as big even with controlled growth. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Uncommon said:

I think you may be applying the sprawl standard to the airport.  more bigger is better...

5 hours ago, shardoon said:

oh, I get it... Hartsfield left ORD in the wind and LAX surpassed ORD, but is still way behind Hartsfield.  Back when ORD was No.1 and DFW was No.4 or so, DFW was in the 50M range of passengers.  Now, all of these airports have been getting busier more or less, but the 50M mark is a huge milestone...  They can't fix the TSA section at the main terminal fast enough or open Terminal C fast enough.

On 5/30/2019 at 5:57 PM, spenser1058 said:

The battle is joined as MCO goes to war against MLB for the right to call one’s self “Orlando”:

https://amp.floridatoday.com/amp/1270210001

From Florida Today 

at first, I thought MCO had a beef with Major League Baseball...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Tourist growth is good news and I don't see how it could be viewed as bad sprawl????

The same types of folks who wanted Nashville to be “the Athens of the South” instead of Music City like to look down their noses at Orlando’s theme parks.

In both cases, it’s a losing battle. What the rest of the country knows you for is what you’ll be, so it’s best to embrace it and build upon it.

Today, Nashville and Orlando are two of the best known tier two cities in the country. Colleges like Vandy and Belmont have done just fine benefitting from Nashville’s hipster cred and Orlando’s tech community has been growing apace in the shadow of the Mouse (it only seems small because the parks are growing even faster).

On 6/10/2019 at 12:09 PM, HankStrong said:

Tourist growth is good news and I don't see how it could be viewed as bad sprawl????

...I made that analogy in trying to analyze his thought process of why fast air traffic growth was bad...

• Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 12:22 PM, spenser1058 said:

The same types of folks who wanted Nashville to be “the Athens of the South” instead of Music City like to look down their noses at Orlando’s theme parks.

In both cases, it’s a losing battle. What the rest of the country knows you for is what you’ll be, so it’s best to embrace it and build upon it.

Today, Nashville and Orlando are two of the best known tier two cities in the country. Colleges like Vandy and Belmont have done just fine benefitting from Nashville’s hipster cred and Orlando’s tech community has been growing apace in the shadow of the Mouse (it only seems small because the parks are growing even faster).

very...very...true.

I wish Full Sail's campus was altered to be more campus-like and less strip center-like if possible.  it's location and ambiance doesn't really feed any kind of a neighborhood like Rollins does...  or like Nashville's colleges do; maybe put up a wall along Semoran with landscaping to signify that a campus is there.  UF retrofitted a brick and masonry short wall with molded concrete benches along University as recently as maybe 15 years ago; looks awesome.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

very...very...true.

I wish Full Sail's campus was altered to be more campus-like and less strip center-like if possible.  it's location and ambiance doesn't really feed any kind of a neighborhood like Rollins does...  or like Nashville's colleges do; maybe put up a wall along Semoran with landscaping to signify that a campus is there.  UF retrofitted a brick and masonry short wall with molded concrete benches along University as recently as maybe 15 years ago; looks awesome.

Yeah I was really hoping when they built Full Sail Live/Gateway it was a sign of things to come and the beginning of the redevelopment of their campus into a more real campus. They did a great job on it, and it makes up nearly every outdoor marketing photo of their campus I see. Unfortunately its been a decade without anything else even being planned.

5 minutes ago, aent said:

Yeah I was really hoping when they built Full Sail Live/Gateway it was a sign of things to come and the beginning of the redevelopment of their campus into a more real campus. They did a great job on it, and it makes up nearly every outdoor marketing photo of their campus I see. Unfortunately its been a decade without anything else even being planned.

If only they’d buy some of the old buildings downtown and make a campus for the creative stuff like SCAD did in Savannah...

• Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 12:09 PM, HankStrong said:

Yay, come visit Orlando, tourists! A decade ago we welcomed 45 million and now we’re coming up on 80 million! By 2030, we’ll introduce 105 million people, each with their own rental car in a region and infrastructure ill-designed for this kind of explosive growth, and watch as crippling traffic, soaring housing costs, and bottom-feeder wages wreck the people that just want to live a decent life.

It’s not all good news.