Metro Orlando Airport News

bic

I think they do Manchester also and Glasgow might just be seasonal.

Virgin [VS] serves Orlando [MCO] year-round with, depending on the time of year, 2-4 non-stops per day to London Gatwick [LGW] 1-2 non-stops per day to Manchester [MAN] and starting this October a once-per-week year-round non-stop to Glasgow, Scotland, U.K. [GLA].

Orlando [MCO] is the only city for which Virgin Atlantic [VS] has multiple non-stop destinations. Every other city served by [VS] flies no-stop to only London Gatwick [LGW] or London Heathrow [LHR].

During the height of this years U.K. tourist season and assuming that all flights are on-time, there will be a two-hour block of time during the day of the Glasgow flight where there will be 6 Virgin Atlantic [VS] 747-400s at their gates at the same time here in Orlando [MCO].

• 2 weeks later...

Soaring traffic may propel need for new terminal

Orlando Business Journal Article

SUMMARY:

From the blurb that I can read without having a subscription, basically the article is about how MCO traffic is far exceeding expectations and may have to begin construction of the south terminal sooner than officials thought. The airport is on track see 36 million passengers per year in as little as 6 months, coming close to the 40 million milestone that is set to trigger construction of the new $1 billion terminal.

Bustling with business travelersOrlando Business Journal - by Chris Kauffmann Staff Writer

ORLANDO -- Orlando International Airport has quietly become the top landing strip for U.S. business travelers in Florida.

The airport's carriers now offer more domestic business class seats and destinations than any other airport in the state, leading some officials to believe Orlando could supplant Miami as Florida's business hub.

"Orlando has always had a much stronger business market than it's been given credit for," says Jeffry Fuqua, chairman of the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority. "And we've been making that argument for 20 years -- but it was always overshadowed by tourism."

Miami's capacity shrinking

Orlando International's carriers will offer 3,235 business class seats per day to 49 destinations in October, according to a report presented to the aviation authority last week. That's 535 seats more than Miami, which comes in at No. 2 with 2,700 business class seats and 33 destinations per day.

http://orlando.bizjournals.com/orlando/sto...1211200^1526688

Newspaper reporters generally do a piss-poor job in reporting commercial aviation news.

First, the subject of the piece is not, as the article states, an increase in "business-class seats" but rather an increase in domestic first-class seats which is a completely different animal. A true "business-class" product, often referred to as 'J' class, is a step above domestic first-class in the size and comfort of the seat/legroom, quality/quantity of food, and cost.

One usually only finds a true business-class product on international flights and some cross-county domestic flights on a select few full-service airlines [AA, UA].

Second, while it is true that Orlando

Edited by Camillo Sitte

• 2 weeks later...

its a security measure. in every international airport in the united states, they make all international arriving passengers re-go through the security checkpoints. the united states does not want to rely on the efficiency of another country's potential security flaws. the problem with MCO is that the security checkpoints are in the main terminal so they need to make sure every arriving international passenger goes immedietely to the non-sterile main terminal area to re-go through security if they have a connecting flight.

jetBlue has applied for Orlando (MCO) - Bogota, Columbia (BOG) service. Frequency would be 7 flights per week.

interesting... MCO is looking to steal a little of that "gateway" element that MIA has into south america.

as for the cocaine, I don't think we need the airlines for that... from what I hear the government has it shipped over themselves...

For the record, jetBlue has also applied for FLL-BOG.

If they only get MCO-BOG then they will have no competition. If the route fails then they can still fall back and go FLL-BOG. I have been hearing rumours of Avianca MCO-BOG also, maybe even sooner than Jetblue. I think this is very good and interesting news for MCO. They are going to need to work on this Customs issue pretty soon though.

Can Orlando really hold up with seven flights a week!?! I know Orlando has had an explosion of the latino population in the last couple of years, but I really see this not lasting too long. Maybe two or possibly three and thats a stretch.

And JRS1 you cant possibly be serious about the gateway comment :lol:

And gibby I agree about customs, get er done.

Edited by Julez

Lufthansa is pleased to link Orlando, world

Orlando Sentinel Article

NOTE:

Lufthansa has already upped the frequency of MCO-FRA to 6 flights a week thanks to good demand, up from the 5 they announced when the route was originally unveiled.

This is probably the best thing to happen to OIA and Orlando since Buddy Dyer! :) Finally we can fly to the heart of Europe without going through Atlanta or NYC.

Lufthansa is a global powerhouse and owner of Swiss Airlines and partners to many other US and International giants, including United Airlines. I am certain this will be very successful to the point Lufthansa will add routes (Orlando-Munich or Orlando-Zurich). This wonderful development was possible due to the request of another german giant that has chosen Orlando to be the home of their Power Generation Division headquarters across from UCF....SIEMENS! Thank you Mr. Siemens! Apparently, they will be occupying almost all of their business seats on a daily basis.

I wish Delta would add a direct flight from Orlando to southern Europe (Paris, Rome, Milan, Athens?). I know I would use this at least once a month. In any case, all this is a sign that Orlando and OIA's future is bright despite the gloomy economic outlook for the US in general. Orlando/Orange growth should continue at a reasonable steady pace. I feel bad for the people who bought into areas such as Osceola county....the europeans will not feel the shock as much due to the strong Euro - weak Dollar. Go Orlando.....Go Magic!

^^

I just saw that bus on Jackson an hour ago!

Also, Lufthansa will have an office DT with a First Class Seat mini showroom to market that service...

^^

FYI, NWA goes from MCO to Detroit to Amsterdam, et al.

^^

regarding government smuggling... who knows, but I wouldn't be surprised.

^^

Also, I think the powers that be at GOAA have been working Air France for a similar type of service...

This is probably the best thing to happen to OIA and Orlando since Buddy Dyer! :) Finally we can fly to the heart of Europe without going through Atlanta or NYC.

Lufthansa is a global powerhouse and owner of Swiss Airlines and partners to many other US and International giants, including United Airlines. I am certain this will be very successful to the point Lufthansa will add routes (Orlando-Munich or Orlando-Zurich). This wonderful development was possible due to the request of another german giant that has chosen Orlando to be the home of their Power Generation Division headquarters across from UCF....SIEMENS! Thank you Mr. Siemens! Apparently, they will be occupying almost all of their business seats on a daily basis.

I wish Delta would add a direct flight from Orlando to southern Europe (Paris, Rome, Milan, Athens?). I know I would use this at least once a month. In any case, all this is a sign that Orlando and OIA's future is bright despite the gloomy economic outlook for the US in general. Orlando/Orange growth should continue at a reasonable steady pace. I feel bad for the people who bought into areas such as Osceola county....the europeans will not feel the shock as much due to the strong Euro - weak Dollar. Go Orlando.....Go Magic!

Comments moved to Current Housing thread - sorry

Edited by FrigginGr8est