Metro Orlando Airport News

bic

Not sure.

Here is the press release (in Portuguese) but they don't mention which airline will operate the flights.

My guess would be Air Comet.

I don't "know" anything, just a guess...

They already have a pretty good Europe-S.A. route network and a newer fleet that includes several A330s/340s.

Edited by Camillo Sitte

Delta, JetBlue, Spirit, and Continental Airlines have been given preliminary approval to operate one new daily flight each between the U.S. and Bogota, Colombia. Delta's flight will depart from New York's JFK, Continental's from Houston, Spirit's from Fort Lauderdale, and JetBlue's from Orlando. That's right, JetBlue was given one daily flight to Colombia and they chose to fly it from Orlando. Service will be allowed to begin on April 1. Props (pun intended) to MCO.

Source

With JetBlue starting service to Colombia, Cancun, Santo Domingo, and Austin (with connections to Long Beach and San Francisco), coupled with its existing flights to Puerto Rico and the Northeast, I think they'll have to start calling Orlando a focus city. Not that it really matters but it would be nice to see another airline mark its territory at MCO after Delta's withdrawal from [mini] hub status.

Flights to Brussels, Belgium will begin taking off from Orlando-Sanford International Airport beginning November 2, 2008 on Belgian airline Jetairfly. The service will operate weekly on Sundays and will use a 262-seat 767-300ER, departing Brussels at 11am and arriving in Orlando at 3:30pm; departing Orlando at 4:40pm and arriving in Brussels at 7:40am the following day.

Source

Bird, bird, bird; the bird is the word:

1243237.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

with good news comes bad news. i can understand cutting the nonstops to the tiny cities that. however, i have been on the delta las vegas flight many times and it seemed packed everytime i was on it. i would also imagine the delta miami and ft lauderdale flights would be busy as well. were they filled up entirely of base fares? i partially dont understand those three cities, but oh well...... they must really be getting raped with the fuel costs.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/cu...0,4240652.story

Edited by shardoon

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting. The article mentions that passenger traffic was up 10.5% in February, which, if MCO can keep it up, would have the airport handling more than 40 million passengers this year. MCO would only need to post an increase in passenger traffic of 9.93% to surpass the 40 million milestone that theoretically should get the ball rolling on the new South Terminal. Nevertheless, with so much increased international traffic, JetBlue now "focusing" on Orlando, and the Delta/Northwest merger potentially freeing up some gate space, more improvements to the airport are sure to be on their way.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, that's very random. I assume AF will be using one of the A320's from the MIA-Haiti/PTP rotation to test out passenger loads on MCO-PTP to get an idea of what type of aircraft to assign to future MCO-CDG transatlantic service. Like you said, it's a start.

One of the birds at MIA:

1158540.jpg

Edited by bic

Orlando airport traffic up 34.2% [bic wants to note that this is a misleading headline-- only international traffic is up 34.2%]

Orlando Business Journal Article

The article mentions that passenger traffic was up 10.5% in February, which, if MCO can keep it up, would have the airport handling more than 40 million passengers this year. MCO would only need to post an increase in passenger traffic of 9.93% to surpass the 40 million milestone that theoretically should get the ball rolling on the new South Terminal.

This latest article states that international passenger traffic is up 34.2% in March while domestic traffic is up nearly 5%, for a total increase of 7.82%. We're still on track to nearly crack the 40 million passenger milestone.

Embraer lands at Melbourne International

Orlando Business Journal Article

Brazilian aircraft manufacturer Embraer plans to spend $51 million to build a manufacturing plant at Melbourne International Airport. The planned 149,500-square-foot building, the company's first U.S. factory, will be dedicated to final assembly, painting, delivery and customer care center operations for Embraer's Phenom business jet aircraft.

Wow, that's very random. I assume AF will be using one of the A320's from the MIA-Haiti/PTP rotation to test out passenger loads on MCO-PTP to get an idea of what type of aircraft to assign to future MCO-CDG transatlantic service. Like you said, it's a start.

My guess [and that is all it is] would be, considering [1] AF's A320's are based at PTP and [2] this is a redeye [arriving PTP at 5 AM! :unsure: ], and [3] it is a two-month seasonal service, that someone in AF scheduling is trying to squeze a few more turns out of an aircraft that would otherwise be sitting on the taramc for half-a-day.

• 2 weeks later...

Lemmie see if this works...

0521-nat-AIR-web.gif

Orlando isn't on here but we've lost several flights lately and will likely lose more. Delta has killed a lot and Alaska is stopping the Orlando - Portland OR flight.

Look at the percentage decline for Pittsburgh, just over 25% in a year. They have a nice newer airport that was built to be a hub for USAir and it was overbuilt in size and gates to attract other hub airlines and to allow for growth. No other airlines moved in, USAir pulled their hub and growth did not come. The Pittsburgh airport is about the size of Orlando's but they only have 10,000,000 passengers a year. It is a huge white elephant now with halls that seem empty accept for the busiest travel times.

Edited by facilities man

Look at the percentage decline for Pittsburgh, just over 25% in a year. They have a nice newer airport that was built to be a hub for USAir and it was overbuilt in size and gates to attract other hub airlines and to allow for growth. No other airlines moved in, USAir pulled their hub and growth did not come. The Pittsburgh airport is about the size of Orlando's but they only have 10,000,000 passengers a year. It is a huge white elephant now with halls that seem empty accept for the busiest travel times.

spread the word to location scouts in LA

Airport projects on the horizon

Florida's busiest passenger facility is set to undergo nearly $1B in improvements

Orlando Sentinel Article

JetBlue clear for OIA-Bogota runs

Orlando Sentinel Article

JetBlue scraps plans for employee lodge at Orlando's airport

With fuel costs up, the airline says it just can't afford the $30M employee hotel.

Orlando Sentinel Article

There is a strong possibility that Orlando International Airport will see weekly non-stop service to Prague courtesy of Czech Airlines (CSA). It is expected that CSA will go ahead with the route after the U.S. visa requirement for Czech citizens is canceled later this year.