Metro Orlando Airport News

bic

Virgin America to launch Orlando service next week

Virgin America says it will launch service from California to Orlando, Fla., on Wednesday.

The airline said Friday it would operate daily nonstop flights between Orlando and Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Virgin plans a red carpet welcome for passengers on a celebratory flight from Los Angeles Oct. 13. Local officials and Richard Branson of minority investor Virgin Group are scheduled to greet the plane at Orlando International Airport.

Virgin America to launch direct Orlando to LA flights

Virgin America Asks Flyers to 'Upload To Upgrade' Their Next Orlando Family Vacation

Edited by DeepEyez

Arkefly will start twice a week non-stop flights from AMS next year (Monday and Friday) to pick up for the lost Martinair service.

Actually the new AF [Air France] service is the direct replacement for the MP [Martinair] service.

Air France-KLM Group owns Martinair and, with the re-branding of Martinair as an all cargo airline, are now rerouting their Orlando bound Central and Eastern European passengers through CDG on AF instead of through AMS on MP.

Arkefly is Dutch charter airline that has started to do some regularly scheduled service though most of their business is still transporting people who have bought package deals through their own in-house travel and tour company. They have nothing to do with Air France-KLM Group S.A.

Virgin America to launch Orlando service next week

Virgin America says it will launch service from California to Orlando, Fla., on Wednesday.

The airline said Friday it would operate daily nonstop flights between Orlando and Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Virgin plans a red carpet welcome for passengers on a celebratory flight from Los Angeles Oct. 13. Local officials and Richard Branson of minority investor Virgin Group are scheduled to greet the plane at Orlando International Airport.

Virgin America to launch direct Orlando to LA flights

Virgin America Asks Flyers to 'Upload To Upgrade' Their Next Orlando Family Vacation

yeah, i'm actually booked on a VA fight for thanksgiving day. i bought it a few months ago. was surprised to see the fares even existed, much less affordable and available!

wow. i haven't posted on here in ages. i guess thinking of coming home for t-day (and the FSU/uf game) :alc: made me come back and see how things were. good to see some new blood!

Actually the new AF [Air France] service is the direct replacement for the MP [Martinair] service.

Air France-KLM Group owns Martinair and, with the re-branding of Martinair as an all cargo airline, are now rerouting their Orlando bound Central and Eastern European passengers through CDG on AF instead of through AMS on MP.

Arkefly is Dutch charter airline that has started to do some regularly scheduled service though most of their business is still transporting people who have bought package deals through their own in-house travel and tour company. They have nothing to do with Air France-KLM Group S.A.

I understand that KL/AF owns MP. I was just saying that non-stop service from AMS will start via Arkefly basically right after MP service ends. I know that Arkefly is not affiliated with MP. However, I do expect many of the old MP customers (Dutch tourists mostly I presume) will take Arkefly. KL is about to announce a new AMS-MIA soon also.

Airport gets on board with rail

Orlando International Airport is ready to start spending money to one day have a rail station for high-speed trains and possibly commuter and light-rail trains as well.

The Greater Orlando Aviation Authority board Wednesday approved $744,000 to expand and detail the airport's rail station proposal enough that the Florida Rail Commission soon can roll it into the state's overall rail plans.

MCO prepares for rail

Edited by DeepEyez

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That's going to fail, what in the world does Orlando have to offer that other airliner's haven't already declined?

They're not trying to lure Southwest's headquarters-- they just don't want WN to take over the hometown airline and drop all the management jobs while downsizing operations. Orlando has to try something to minimize the damage done after the merger, doesn't it? And AirTran saw enough in this city to want to set up shop so the effort is not that absurd.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

my apologies for creating a new thread. i must be going crazy but i cant seem to find the airport thread.

in any case........ does anyone have an idea about when they intend to break ground on the new south terminal complex? ive read numerous sentinel articles about them waiting until they max out the existing terminal before they break ground. in those articles it always listed that even if built out and made 100% efficient, the existing complex capacity is 38 million. we are currently just shy of 36 million. this is 6 million more than we were pre 9/11 when they were about to pull the trigger on the expansion.

now i know that they just finished renovating the original 2 airsides, but the renovation was purely aesthetic. the southwest terminal can be built out for more gates......... but i believe the terminal capacity bottleneck really is the landside complex, which cannot be expanded more.

so now we are at just shy of 36 million, and by years end, we may very well be over 36 million. these numbers are also in a recession economy, i can only imagine what happens when it improves. does anybody know any more updated info regarding this?

my apologies for creating a new thread. i must be going crazy but i cant seem to find the airport thread.

in any case........ does anyone have an idea about when they intend to break ground on the new south terminal complex? ive read numerous sentinel articles about them waiting until they max out the existing terminal before they break ground. in those articles it always listed that even if built out and made 100% efficient, the existing complex capacity is 38 million. we are currently just shy of 36 million. this is 6 million more than we were pre 9/11 when they were about to pull the trigger on the expansion.

now i know that they just finished renovating the original 2 airsides, but the renovation was purely aesthetic. the southwest terminal can be built out for more gates......... but i believe the terminal capacity bottleneck really is the landside complex, which cannot be expanded more.

so now we are at just shy of 36 million, and by years end, we may very well be over 36 million. these numbers are also in a recession economy, i can only imagine what happens when it improves. does anybody know any more updated info regarding this?

At this point, with the economy the way it is, they are waiting for more of a reason to do it. I believe they say they have other ways to continue to expand capacity at existing terminals... I believe they will likely wait until it can't wait anymore, or some sort of train system makes its way to the airport, whether it be a sunrail connector or eventual HSR train or what... it likely won't happen until we get a new governor as the funding just isn't going to come with Rick Scott around.

• 5 months later...