Metro Orlando Airport News

bic

• 1 month later...

• 2 months later...

If the train 3ere to expand westward, I would definitely see logic in an airport stop. But headed to Miami, I dont think there is as much. There is some, as pointed out, between the airport and the coast, but by and large the southern Florida area is already well served airport-wise. I think there is a more logical connection between the Miami Airport and Miami and Ft Lauderdale areas and the Attractions area, and would expect a station closer to there. Simple bus transfers would work between the airport and the train.

When we worked on the Orlando to Tampa section, the idea of the stop at the airport was it provided a large area of land where the maintenance yards and laydown areas would be for the train. The south terminal for the airport would then serve as a sort of grand central station for Sunrail, HSR and the airport. It would combine everything in one.

• 2 months later...

The Orlando Executive Airport is about to see a flurry of activity on-site and on adjacent property owned by the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority.

Here’s what’s coming up:

• Sheltair Orlando Air Center Inc. revamped its $10 million master plan from 2009 to triple the size of its Orlando Executive Airport operations. The fixed-base operator, which leases out hangar and airline service-related office space, wants to build a bigger terminal and flight business office. It later will build a 74-room Microtel Inn & Suites near Amelia Street.

Other notes from the premium section (not a copy/paste):

- Weeks away from new leases for the old Uno's and Bennigan's

- GOAA may demolish and re-develop the Circuit City in Colonial Plaza for redevelopment

- Keep an eye out for the 9/10 city council agenda - Sheltair wants to expand and build a 3-story terminal

Other notes from the premium section (not a copy/paste):

- Weeks away from new leases for the old Uno's and Bennigan's

- GOAA may demolish and re-develop the Circuit City in Colonial Plaza for redevelopment

- Keep an eye out for the 9/10 city council agenda - Sheltair wants to expand and build a 3-story terminal

Thanks for the info. Good to see something moving forward. Any word on what we can expect on the Uno/Bennigan site(s)? More restaurants?

I can't believe that Circuit City is still there. Noticed it the other day. It's somewhat hidden from Colonial.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Yeah, Scott nixed the HSR proposal for political reasons.  However, he did say then that HSR was better suited for the private sector.  Then, out of nowhere, FEC comes up with their proposal.  Something tells me it wasn't the void left by the HSR proposal that got FEC to plan for this; I think they already had a plan for it; maybe they contacted Tally about it before they rejected the $$$; maybe not; it just seems too coincidental that out of nowhere you have 1) a federal HSR plan for FLA (for the first time ever), 2) rejection of that money, and 3) a private company willing to take over that plan for FLA (for the first time).  too many coincidences...

So, in the end, even though the GOP is against taxpayer $$$ funding these types of projects, it could have ultimately been pressure from FEC for Scott to reject that $$$ so that they could step in instead.

These trains are an old idea for FL legislature.  It wasn't a problem until the democratic president wanted to throw money at it.  Then trains were evil.  The hilarious thing is seeing all the OS commenters about face on bashing rail now that RS supports is.

I don't think any is doing an about face on rail.  I think we are bashing the hypocrisy of this man who singularly made a decision to give away over a billion dollars for high speed rail and delayed and almost stopped sunrail until someone make him realize his poll numbers were already low enough.  The most stupid thing is promising the second half of the funding (now coming from state surplus tax dollars) after he is re-elected.  I guess the tea party is over.

I don't think any is doing an about face on rail.  I think we are bashing the hypocrisy of this man who singularly made a decision to give away over a billion dollars for high speed rail and delayed and almost stopped sunrail until someone make him realize his poll numbers were already low enough.  The most stupid thing is promising the second half of the funding (now coming from state surplus tax dollars) after he is re-elected.  I guess the tea party is over.

I was referring to the Sentinel commenters, not so much the UP commenters.  I know the UP commenters are better informed than the OS ones.  I did notice that too.  His funding comes with the catch that he needs to be re-elected.

^^

I heard that the Sunrail proposal when it was in jeopardy once RS took office would end up being approved as a quid pro quo for $$$ going to some Tampa project; non-transportation related.

^^

Also, remember Mayor Hood and the Baldwin Park deal; there was some drama over the award to the GC for that development back then.  that kind of stuff happens behind closed doors regardless of the sunshine laws.

^^

At least GOAA landed the maintenance facility for 8/10 trains for the AAF proposal.  that's awesome leveraging power.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice and simple. 

I'm not a super globetrotter or anything, but I've been to ~35 airports around the country and abroad.  I still think (and thought before I moved here) that OIA is a very welcoming and attractive airport.  Improving it with the new multi-modal center and upgraded people movers just solidifies that in my mind.