Metro Orlando Airport News

bic

I wouldn't have wasted that money on upgrading Airside 1 and 3's AGT's.  It's not necessary.  They're fine.  And they still look advanced.

Most people never even see an AGT at an airport going from Airside to Landside.  The only AGT's that you will most likely have to use are at OIA, TPA, the one terminal at McCarren; the newer terminal in Pittsburgh;

Maybe in Detroit in the NW Airlines Terminal- but you can also walk it- just like at Hartsfield.  Other than that, you don't need to use the AGT at O'Hare or at JFK or LAX or DFW; they are after-thoughts. 

That money could've gone to putting more flare into the Intermodal Center; or a nice atrium over where Chili's Too is.

Those older AGT's should be recycled and used on I-Drive somehow on a new AGT line...

I wouldn't have wasted that money on upgrading Airside 1 and 3's AGT's.  It's not necessary.  They're fine.  And they still look advanced.

Most people never even see an AGT at an airport going from Airside to Landside.  The only AGT's that you will most likely have to use are at OIA, TPA, the one terminal at McCarren; the newer terminal in Pittsburgh;

Maybe in Detroit in the NW Airlines Terminal- but you can also walk it- just like at Hartsfield.  Other than that, you don't need to use the AGT at O'Hare or at JFK or LAX or DFW; they are after-thoughts. 

That money could've gone to putting more flare into the Intermodal Center; or a nice atrium over where Chili's Too is.

Those older AGT's should be recycled and used on I-Drive somehow on a new AGT line...

The current ones will be 37 years old by the time they are replaced.  While I agree they are in good shape especially considering their age, availability of parts, maintenance costs, and efficiency improvements likely mean this project will eventually pay for itself. Not much is going towards the replacements, most is towards the new system needless to say.

The current ones will be 37 years old by the time they are replaced.  While I agree they are in good shape especially considering their age, availability of parts, maintenance costs, and efficiency improvements likely mean this project will eventually pay for itself. Not much is going towards the replacements, most is towards the new system needless to say.

the two newer airside terminals use similar models. i am wondering if these will be kept for spare for parts needed down the road for the newer ones. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

An AAF station where the train heads South would be gold, with a train extension from that station to the port.

If they can figure out a way to work that out, both OIA (as a whole, made up of several companies that make up the entire airport process) & PC (as a whole, made up of several companies that make up the entire port process) will make a killing off of it.

^There is supposed to be an announcement about new flights today.  Nothing about bringing planes to this area yet, but more flights are a good sign.

^^I've heard about that and hope it is true.

I think this proactive approach to transportation is something the people of Orlando haven't seen since the Eisenhower era and that was a federal program. 

Building this station does so many things:

it keeps some of the traffic away from the main areas of the airport

allows someone to fly into Orlando and go on a cruise (either in Port Canaveral, Port Everglades or even the Port of Miami should they choose)

go to the theme parks

get back to their homes

go to their convention

allow for better access to public transportation, taxis, and rental cars

If this gets pulled off right, this could really be amazing and still have a lot of future potential beyond that.

Edited by HankStrong
  • Like 1

^^

that's good stuff.  They chose OIA as the first and perhaps only Florida airport to fly into.

There a a lot of arabic business owners in CFLA.

The "arabic"  business owners in Florida probably don't matter as much as the legions of investors and businesses in the Middle East who will now find Orlando an easier market to do business in.  Qatari and UAE money is driving a lot of real estate development worldwide; it will be hard to overestimate what a big deal this is for Orlando.

• Like 2

The "arabic"  business owners in Florida probably don't matter as much as the legions of investors and businesses in the Middle East who will now find Orlando an easier market to do business in.  Qatari and UAE money is driving a lot of real estate development worldwide; it will be hard to overestimate what a big deal this is for Orlando.

Well, think back a few months ago when they announced the news that Gulftainer from the UAE I believe would manage the container terminal at Port Canaveral. That was a huge business development.  Now add this into the mix.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the right thread but I just read the plans for the multi-modal center showing all 6 phases of construction.  The 6th phase shows major air terminals on either side of the multi-modal and it is an order of magnitude larger than any other rendering I've seen on OBJ or elsewhere.

Edited by cwetteland

^^

Yeah.

Phase I-V looks to be everything west of and including the intermodal center.  OIA would have to increase air traffic by a lot to justify that future phase construction.  OIA would have to become I think a connecting flights hub for a major airline like Hartsfield, DFW, and O'Hare currently are.