Metro Orlando Airport News

bic

• 2 weeks later...

Aer Lingus to begin service from Dublin to OIA

From Sentinel Staff Reports

Posted March 21, 2007, 3:11 PM EDT

Aer Lingus, the national airline of Ireland, will begin service from Dublin to Orlando International Airport in the fall. The service was announced this afternoon at a meeting of the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority, which operates the airport.

Virgin America to compete with JetBlue

Beth Kassab {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted March 21, 2007, 9:57 AM EDT

Just as JetBlue Airways is trying to get back on track after a system-wide meltdown last month comes the news that a major new competitor is approaching.

Start-up Virgin America received tentative approval from the U.S. Department of Transportation and one investor warning this morning that the new carrier's first route will be SanFrancisco to New York's Kennedy airport, JetBlue's hub. Virgin America, the brainchild of Sir Richard Branson, is expected to have products and costs similar to JetBlue, says UBS analyst Kevin Crissey.

Still, the news may be welcomed by Orlando International Airport. Former airport director Bill Jennings wrote a letter to the DOT supporting the start-up. And the airport has said attracting new carriers is a priority.

JetBlue on Wednesday adjusted its full-year guidance, citing flight cancellations and higher fuel-related costs. The company lowered its 2007 profit outlook.

• 4 weeks later...

OIA shifts hub proposal into gear

The $200 million transportation hub would be the first part of the planned south terminal.

Beth Kassab {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted April 19, 2007

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/custom...rowth-headlines

at the end of the orlando sentinel article, it states that the initial phase 24 gate design was released wednesday. anybody have these current renderings or more info on this besides the stuff that has been around for a while?

also, any renderings of the new transportation hub?

thanks in advance.

Edited by shardoon

at the end of the orlando sentinel article, it states that the initial phase 24 gate design was released wednesday. anybody have these current renderings or more info on this besides the stuff that has been around for a while?

also, any renderings of the new transportation hub?

thanks in advance.

Complete crap - nothing to get worked-up over...

airport1-1.jpg

airport4.jpg

uh, huh, huh... that looks cool...

they said 24 gate terminal-- of course that would be phase I. it could be the central 2 airsides on one side of the water deals... that thing rox if it's for real. if it is real, where would the intermodal deal go?

Edited by JRS1

Complete crap - nothing to get worked-up over...

airport1-1.jpg

airport4.jpg

I've tried searching all over for more information about this latest design and have come up with nothing. Where did you find these renderings? I'd love to know more about the south terminal plans.

I've tried searching all over for more information about this latest design and have come up with nothing. Where did you find these renderings? I'd love to know more about the south terminal plans.

I found out that it was a preliminary rendering. when I find out more, I'll post.

Have a few fellow classmates who work for HACK...I mean HOK and KBJ.

The most current tweaked version has less water [birds], and could be described as a bit less "organic" in effect but the underlying design is pretty much the same - 2nd class, corporate hack, lowest-common-denominator crap all the way - par for the course for Orlando which, with the possible exception of Isozaki's sundial and conceptually the monorail running thru the Contemporary Resort - has no really good contemporary architecture - forget about great.

Edited by Camillo Sitte

I disagree. Those renderings look freaking amazing. Orlando is overdue for something of this calibre.

Maybe it's just me but I read the "complete crap" comment as sarcasm. The new terminal design looks great-- it resembles a modernized DFW.

Maybe it's just me but I read the "complete crap" comment as sarcasm. The new terminal design looks great-- it resembles a modernized DFW.

Have a few fellow classmates who work for HACK...I mean HOK and KBJ.

The most current tweaked version has less water [birds], and could be described as a bit less "organic" in effect but the underlying design is pretty much the same - 2nd class, corporate hack, lowest-common-denominator crap all the way - par for the course for Orlando which, with the possible exception of Isozaki's sundial and conceptually the monorail running thru the Contemporary Resort - has no really good contemporary architecture - forget about great.

...doesn't quite sound like sarcasm.

You're right about that. I read the initial comments as being sarcastic but after Camillo's elaboration, it's definitely not.

Sorry, but not one ounce of sarcasm intended. <_<

What will be built is awful and is, sadly, indicative of an utter lack of sophistication on the part of the powers-that-be in Orlando in their refusal to seek out and sponsor really good public architecture.

Truly great cities go out of their way to use the opportunities of a large-scale public project [such as an airport] to find an architecture that represents the best of a communities aspirations, vision, and self-image.

Orlando has as long and sad history of consulting with Disney as to how to efficiently queue large numbers of people and then hire corporate architecture firms that have long and distinguished histories of delivering mediocre-at-best architecture in an on-time and on-budget manner.

Safe perhaps but every single large-scale project in central Florida screams

I'm with you Camillo, for the most part, but what about functionality? What I know of the situation, as I am currently getting close-out doc's from subs on a project from OIA, is that they are not happy with the functionality of the design criteria. This is in addition to anything that HOK or anyone else for that matter has produced as a matter of standard that has become general condition post 9/11. HOK or any other architect is not to blame for this lack of glitz and glamour. What is to blame is the lack of specification that is provided to General Contractors that chose to take on the design-build approach to these projects. Provided the mock-ups that were posted above become reality, I personally would be quite pleased with the outcome.

GOAA gives the nod, but doesn't give the cash. What results is an uninspired piece of crap, that is VE'd to death. To the point that anyone with a minimal position can easily critique from the sidelines, the resulting building from a Monday morning position. To me that is more annoying than anything else.

Same $h!t different building with results to these boards.

I'm with you Camillo, for the most part, but what about functionality? What I know of the situation, as I am currently getting close-out doc's from subs on a project from OIA, is that they are not happy with the functionality of the design criteria. This is in addition to anything that HOK or anyone else for that matter has produced as a matter of standard that has become general condition post 9/11. HOK or any other architect is not to blame for this lack of glitz and glamour. What is to blame is the lack of specification that is provided to General Contractors that chose to take on the design-build approach to these projects. Provided the mock-ups that were posted above become reality, I personally would be quite pleased with the outcome.

GOAA gives the nod, but doesn't give the cash. What results is an uninspired piece of crap, that is VE'd to death. To the point that anyone with a minimal position can easily critique from the sidelines, the resulting building from a Monday morning position. To me that is more annoying than anything else.

Same $h!t different building with results to these boards.

Well, I

Nice list of credentials, let me know if work ever becomes slow. Also a very funny story regarding your experience with the "dark side".

Seems a lot of these firms get in real good with clients and design down, if you will, to the clients vision rather than their potential. A shame really but it seems to be more and more common these days for these little love triangles to exist. Hunton Brady for example, I'll call them out. Great local firm, perhaps a little quick at times to trust the GC in design build though. They will literally do a two day turn around on structural steel shop drawings if you need them to, and they have Florida Hospital wrapped around their pinky.

you can say that about just about any public agency contract. It's frustrating being nickel and dimed to death on contracts then dumped on by the public and client b/c the final product is mediocre. But I've seen some inovative public designs. Boone High School's entry is pretty nice, and I'm often amazed that the school board actually approved such a design. That said, it has it's own shortcomings.

As a planner/uban designer, I'm pretty frustrated with some of the same lack of architectural vision camillo speaks of, don't even get me started on how too many buildings are designed to have no relationship to the street or neighborhood.

Renderings showing the proposed South Terminal, incorporating the South OIA Intermodal Center:

oia_south-1.jpg

oia_south-2.jpg

oia_south-3.jpg

Renderings showing the existing North Terminal, incorporating the proposed North OIA Intermodal Center on the east side of the existing landside terminal:

oia_north-1.jpg

oia_north-2.jpg

oia_north-3.jpg

These are all courtesy of OIA and CFRail.

Edited by i_cre8

Oh wow...what happened to the nice organic design we saw in the first couple of renderings? Can't say that I'm a fan of this one.

And is it just me or did they completely jack the design of Disney's Contemporary for the North Terminal station/hotel?

Oh wow...what happened to the nice organic design we saw in the first couple of renderings? Can't say that I'm a fan of this one.

And is it just me or did they completely jack the design of Disney's Contemporary for the North Terminal station/hotel?

The current terminal looks like it enough already.

I think those renderings are just rough drafts.

so there are going to be two intermodal centers..... one for north and south?

also, im confused about future phases of the south terminal. the first pic shows the intial terminal complex. am i to assume that the completed phased out south terminal will compose of multiple terminals like this interconnected like how the previous rendering on page 2 looked?

what happened to the curves? :huh:

so there are going to be two intermodal centers..... one for north and south?

also, im confused about future phases of the south terminal. the first pic shows the intial terminal complex. am i to assume that the completed phased out south terminal will compose of multiple terminals like this interconnected like how the previous rendering on page 2 looked?

I believe you are correct on all points.

In addition, I'm pretty sure that the initial phase of the south terminal will be MCO's new international terminal. You can even make out a couple of dual jetway gates that would accommodate the A380.