Metro Orlando Airport News

bic

^^

I don't think the $1.1B price tag (from that link) includes buildout of the south terminal complex as shown with all of those gates.  They just released expansion and renovation numbers that approach that which deal only with the intermodal center, new AGT's, and renovations of the existing landside terminal.  Airside 2 alone cost about $400M to build 15 years ago.  I bet you this whole project will go for about $3-4B before its over said and done with.

OIA needs to be a connecting flights hub. 

^^

I don't think the $1.1B price tag (from that link) includes buildout of the south terminal complex as shown with all of those gates.  They just released expansion and renovation numbers that approach that which deal only with the intermodal center, new AGT's, and renovations of the existing landside terminal.  Airside 2 alone cost about $400M to build 15 years ago.  I bet you this whole project will go for about $3-4B before its over said and done with.

OIA needs to be a connecting flights hub. 

it does not. the $1.1 billion is just for the intermodal center, parking garage, north terminal improvements including replacing the oldest trams, and constructing the tram line from the north terminal to the intermodal center (which will be the tram used to get to the eventual south terminal as well). 

however, this was the design settled for the south terminal when eventually built out in phases. 

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FKGKQUgcarw/Uv92v8J7V-I/AAAAAAAAiPI/moFr8cVvEP4/s1600/Screenshot+2014-02-15+09.16.06.png

OIA's folly (if it has one) is that it's a newer airport and there is no major airline based here, or, OIA is not in another part of the country.  MIA is much older and American has a good presence there as did Eastern back in the day.  OIA's best strength is for the direct flights and Orlando has to keep growing and expanding its business interests and tourism pull.  I think it's a chicken and egg thing where tourism drives airport growth and airport growth opens up new business opportunities, which in turn, drives even more airport growth, and so on...

OIA needs to expand air cargo.  They made a good start when Fed Ex moved its operations up here from FTL 15 years ago, but I don't think there was any push by GOAA beyond that.  Now that Port Canaveral is pushing for new cargo and making new deals, that may change.

Regarding AAF, my hope is that the new "entry point" into Orlando via OIA will go far in also increasing air traffic as well; such as tourists deciding to fly into Miami and then take the AAF to Orlando, be tourists, then fly out from OIA, and the tourists that want to go to Miami but also intend on flying back out from Orlando.  It's like going to London and taking the Chunnel to Paris and then back again, or, going to Amsterdam and taking Thalys to Belgium or what have you (Paris too).  AAF should really open up tourism to a new level of traveler.

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 1

OIA's folly (if it has one) is that it's a newer airport and there is no major airline based here, 

You write this as if the airport decides and chooses airlines and the routes they fly.  It's the other way around.  It's not OIA's folly.  If there were a business case for airline X to make OIA a hub, they (the airline) would do it.  Geographically, OIA isn't ideal to be a hub like Atlanta or Charlotte.

You write this as if the airport decides and chooses airlines and the routes they fly.  It's the other way around.  It's not OIA's folly.  If there were a business case for airline X to make OIA a hub, they (the airline) would do it.  Geographically, OIA isn't ideal to be a hub like Atlanta or Charlotte.

OIA isn't an ideal domestic hub, but it is the ideal airport to be a Central and South American international hub - which I think it is being positioned for rather well.  

Edited by uncreativeusername

???  Seriously?

It's a little of both, with the airline customers also making some of the decision on whether it is successful or not.

The airlines choose the hubs, the airports woo the airlines, the people decide if they want to fly there.  It sort of takes all three to make it work.  The airport in Omaha, Nebraska could provide some killer incentives, the airline could love the facilities there, but if no one flies to Omaha it would be quite awkward to park several dozen planes there every night unless they built some weird ghost town maintenance facility there.  Even then, that would be expensive to fly empty planes to.

A lot more people visit Orlando than visit either Atlanta or Charlotte, but isn't nearly as central as either one of them on the Eastern seaboard.  As someone who hates flying in/out of Hartsfield with the burning passion of a thousand suns, I'd love for a better run airport to take their business, but they are really in a sweet spot of the country.

I'd gladly respond to your objections, but since you didn't extend the courtesy of saying what your objections are, I can only provide a short answer.   Yes.

I don't have to object.  It's your right to have a take on a posted comment as it is my right to have a take on YOUR take.

My take on your take: I disagree.  I don't believe that and I didn't write that and I don't know how (or why) you interpreted that.

A lot more people visit Orlando than visit either Atlanta or Charlotte, but isn't nearly as central as either one of them on the Eastern seaboard.  As someone who hates flying in/out of Hartsfield with the burning passion of a thousand suns, I'd love for a better run airport to take their business, but they are really in a sweet spot of the country.

To put this in perspective, I've read that something like 75% of the population of the United States lives within a 2 hour flight of ATL. That is bananas.

Though to be clear I don't think jrs2 was stating anything to the contrary. He qualified all of his points with geographic constraints, etc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...