Metro Orlando Airport News

bic

8 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Wait wait wait.... so the full plan would be for 100 more gates?  I mean, I love Orlando, but that's insane growth, even if over half a century.

I agree that it's a long ways off (and maybe the complete buildout never happens) but I think it's great that the master plan is there from the get-go.  Also, once we have a functional international terminal, Orlando is even better positioned to grow as an international hub/gateway.

9 hours ago, uncreativeusername said:

I agree that it's a long ways off (and maybe the complete buildout never happens) but I think it's great that the master plan is there from the get-go.  Also, once we have a functional international terminal, Orlando is even better positioned to grow as an international hub/gateway.

I'm sure there's a reason for this, but I hate - and will avoid - airports where I have to go through security a second time to get to a connecting flight. I read that the board was concerned about driving passengers to other airports by raising fees, but I'd rather pay a little more for the comfort of having a reliable connection. I know that there are relatively few connections through MCO, as Orlando tends to be destination, so maybe it's not a big problem. But if the airport wants to position itself as a hub/gateway, it could be an issue. Although another APM that runs from airside to airside would be expensive, there should be a volume of passengers that you prevent from an additional security screening (less equipment, fewer staff, smaller footprint, shorter lines) and increased flights that would help make up for the investment over the longer term?

I would imagine the North Terminal would be worked on closing those gates once the newer gates come online. Obviously the south terminal, designed as a 21st century transportation hub will become the main terminal.

I wonder how accurate the rendering of phase 1 is. First it shows "Light Rail" coming in from the North which should be All Aboard Florida which I thought was standard rail and it doesn't show the tracks continuing south to what I thought was going to be their railyard on the south west part of the airport. I guess the other red lines are SunRail and whatever the monorail idea has morphed into.

Edited by Boomer136
clarifying what "that" is

52 minutes ago, smileguy said:

I'm sure there's a reason for this, but I hate - and will avoid - airports where I have to go through security a second time to get to a connecting flight. I read that the board was concerned about driving passengers to other airports by raising fees, but I'd rather pay a little more for the comfort of having a reliable connection. I know that there are relatively few connections through MCO, as Orlando tends to be destination, so maybe it's not a big problem. But if the airport wants to position itself as a hub/gateway, it could be an issue. Although another APM that runs from airside to airside would be expensive, there should be a volume of passengers that you prevent from an additional security screening (less equipment, fewer staff, smaller footprint, shorter lines) and increased flights that would help make up for the investment over the longer term?

The new APM is already under construction.  At least, I'm pretty sure it has already begun.  No second screening.  You would be screened at one end or the other.

^HankStrong, I think smileguy is talking about arriving on a flight and having to leave the gate area to take the APM to a connecting flight in the new terminal and then having to go through security again to reach the gate.

But as airlines like to be in one airside, unless you booked separate segments on differing airlines I don't think you'd have that problem.

they really need to get crackin' on renovating the baggage claim level.

they also really need to solve the space issue on the old side where security is to access Airsides 1 & 3.  There's just not enough space to get around.  It's like they need to tear that side down and re-build it back up wider than before.  They won't and probably can't.  They ideally need to replicate the other side where the Hyatt is.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^^

Connecting at Hartsfield is just so much fun!  Same with DFW. 

At both airports:  Right when the plane parks at the gate: "For those of you connecting to Flight X, they have already begun boarding."  And Flight X is at Gate Z not only 4 airsides away (Hartsfield), but also across the expressway where you have to take the escalator skywalk and run like hell (DFW).

• 4 weeks later...

Orlando International wins service to Havana

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-orlando-wins-cuba-flight-20160707-story.html

Orlando is one of nine cities — four in Florida — selected to get commercial air service between the United States and Havana, Cuba, the U.S. Department of Transportation said Thursday. JetBlue would fly daily from Orlando International Airport under the proposal.  Under the agreement, there can be up to 20 daily flights to Havana. In total, airlines applied for 60 flights daily.

• Like 2