Metro Orlando Airport News

bic

Sorry, no photos, however...I was at OIA last night in terminal top parking.  The Intermodal Center was completely lit up!  Wow.  The AGT track to it had it's lights on; the parking deck had it's lights on; the terminal itself was lit up with interior lights.

28 minutes ago, shardoon said:

Creeping up to 43.5 million passengers for rolling 12 months through July 2017. Southwest adding new direct service to San Jose and Sacramento. 

those are great routes if you want to do the NoCal thing; SF or PCH south, or, wine country ala SacTown.

8 hours ago, shardoon said:

Creeping up to 43.5 million passengers for rolling 12 months through July 2017. Southwest adding new direct service to San Jose and Sacramento. 

From the looks of things Orlando very well could enter the top 10 busiest passenger airport in the US for the first time ever with these numbers... will be close.

3 hours ago, HankStrong said:

A little birdie told me that there should be a few more major route announcements coming very soon.

Oh, you reminded me.  I heard that Turkish Airlines is going to begin service next year.  I heard it from a colleague...who's Turkish...

this article is from June in the Sentinel:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-orlando-airport-tops-43-million-20170808-story.html

rolling 12 months was 43.1M.  June international traffic was up in June, and contributing to this was Air Berlin's first full month of new service.  I didn't know.

It's an interesting trend here; they keep adding routes and ridership keeps increasing.  If you build it, they will come.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
21 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

that's good to know b/c I'll be flying out tomorrow and unfortunately flying back on Saturday, but flying back should be ok, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

So... I flew back to Orlando last week.  I took the tram to Terminal C, I.e., the Intermodal Center.  Can I get a “wow”?  Awesome facility.  It’s big.  The actual train platform section is cordoned off, but, the rest of the facility is first class.   It’s parking deck (“C”) has a two level glass gantry connecting it to the facility.  It’s very nice.   I’ll post some photos this week.  The new South Terminal (“C”) has a lot of sitework going on down there.

GOAA wants people to park at C and take the tram in during this holiday season because the main terminal is busy.  I had to park on Terminal Top level 8 last week.  

The Intermodal Center is so nice, that it makes the rest of the airport look outdated.  That being said, the Hyatt side of the airport will always look nice.  They just need to continue with the renovations and ditch the carpeting.

• Like 1

Apparently, South America is in a down cycle again while domestic tourism is helping Orlando thanks in no small part to investments in the theme parks (a business where, "if you build it, they will come" really is true.) Canada is also rebounding a bit (both on its own and incentives/marketing from the parks.) I'm not sure what's happening with the UK while they figure out Brexit.

I was actually a little surprised it took us so long - we had gotten past MIA prior to the crash in '08 and I didn't think it would take this long to catch back up. Good to have us back in the pole position.

On 12/4/2017 at 1:30 PM, spenser1058 said:

Apparently, South America is in a down cycle again while domestic tourism is helping Orlando thanks in no small part to investments in the theme parks (a business where, "if you build it, they will come" really is true.) Canada is also rebounding a bit (both on its own and incentives/marketing from the parks.) I'm not sure what's happening with the UK while they figure out Brexit.

I was actually a little surprised it took us so long - we had gotten past MIA prior to the crash in '08 and I didn't think it would take this long to catch back up. Good to have us back in the pole position.

Yeah, MIA for some reason spiked in air traffic by several million a few years back when OIA had pvertaken it.  Maybe Ft Lauderdale airport is eating into its domestic business.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HankStrong said:

MIA + FLL + PBI >>>>>>>> MCO + SFB + DAB

If you're talking the entire region it is all about options.

Thats a physically bigger region as well, I'd say more comparable to saying the I-4 corridor/Central Florida and throwing in TPA. I mean, from Jupiter in PBC, its almost the same time to go to MCO or MIA, especially taking into account traffic. I know I'd rather drive to MCO then MIA from there, its an easier drive and probably only adds 10-15 minutes when you account for traffic.

I don't know if throwing TPA into the mix would even push the Central Florida region above the South Florida region for airport passenger counts or anything, and the point is well taken that FLL steals a lot of traffic from MIA, those are much closer and more similar to MCO+SFB

Edited by aent

21 hours ago, HankStrong said:

MIA + FLL + PBI >>>>>>>> MCO + SFB + DAB

If you're talking the entire region it is all about options.

You cannot throw in Palm Beach into that mix because it is the same distance Tampa is to Orlando. However, using just FLL/MIA vs MCO/SFB, then yes there is still a large gap. However, this was never about metro/population size, it was simply the busiest single airport in Florida.  Orlando looks to be king, and I do not see that changing for a long time considering the expansion underway.