Metro Orlando Airport News

bic

32 minutes ago, codypet said:

I believe so.  If you drive down Livingston toward the airport it towers over the road and provides an interesting focal point as you go east from Fern Creek.

Bring back 94th Aero Squadron and JFW and I can croon about Snoopy and the Red Baron!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, codypet said:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-orlando-airport-major-announcement-20180612-story.html

Let the speculation begin!  I'm thinking it's going to be the announcement of the first tenants of Terminal C other than Brightline.

Didn’t they announce JetBlue? Or is that a different area. 

They did announce that JetBlue would have some gates, but I know the focus of the new terminal is going to primarily be international.  I'm thinking a mega carrier is likely to expand their presence in the new terminal and let the Spirits and Alaska and Frontiers of the world occupy the old West airsides.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

So apparently the big announcement is Spirit adding 14 flights to the Caribbean and South America:

http://orlando-rising.com/spirit-airlines-adding-directs-orlando-virgin-islands-colombia-costa-rica/

From Orlando Rising

Left out this article is the announcement that Interjet, a Mexican carrier, is entering the Orlando market with nonstop daily flights to Mexico City.

I use Interjet a few times yearly between LAX and CDMX. The experience is similar to JetBlue or Alaska. I recommend.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A former co-worker took that flight to Bogota on JetBlue when it first started.  Landed in Bogota, walked out to catch a taxi, and was robbed of every single item he had right at the entrance to the airport.  His entire suitcase, his backpack, his wallet, and his phone.  Poof!  The only things he didn't lose were his passport and a pack of mints because he'd stuffed them in a random jacket pocket when he went through customs or something???

I'm sure that's not a daily occurrence, but from what I've heard it's not like rare either.  So I'm not sure 3 carriers a day to Bogota impresses me.

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I'm curious if there's a reason for 3 flights to Bogota. I understand something like Brasil because of all the tourists (and increasing business connections in the I-Drive area) but is there something that ties us with Colombia or vice versa? 

Drugs and coffee

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I'm curious if there's a reason for 3 flights to Bogota. I understand something like Brasil because of all the tourists (and increasing business connections in the I-Drive area) but is there something that ties us with Colombia or vice versa? 

Taking into consideration that [1] B6 already has a quasi hub here and NK seems to have announced that they are basically creating one  [2] ~100,000 Colombians live in Central Florida, and [3] Colombia has a population of ~50M people, compared to, for example, Canada's ~35M people, and ~450 seats a day to BOG doesn't seem all that out of place.

Edited by Camillo Sitte
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2018 at 9:19 AM, alex said:

Video tour of the new Orlando Brightline station over at The Next Miami:

https://www.thenextmiami.com/video-tour-of-brightlines-newly-completed-orlando-rail-terminal/

Gawd is that whole thing awful.

It looks like a KBJ design from 1987 that was mothballed and has been sitting in a flat file in Jacksonville ever since and was pulled out and built as-in in order to save a few bucks.

23 minutes ago, shardoon said:

So, now an announcement of Brightline's plans to extend to Tampa................ just finish the original plan already

From everything I've read today, nothing has really changed. Rick Scott just got spooked by a Gravis Marketing poll that came out (since Gravis leans just right of center, this wasn't like a HuffPost poll) showing Bill with a 10-point lead. That's an outlier (most other polling shows a closer race) but Scott's campaign saw a ready-made shot at the I4 corridor (heck, it IS the I4 corridor.)

In terms of an actual project, it means little. What's neat though is that a pro-Trump Republican saw advantage in talking transit up rather than down in Florida and transit-phobic Hillsborough County. That, even if nothing comes of this, is a plus, and as Poppy Bush would say, a paradigm changer.