Metro Orlando Airport News

bic

20 hours ago, WAJAS98 said:

Nothing new there. That's been the plan for a while now.

well, not really, right?  there is no money for phase 3, like the Deland station, but that article is suggesting that there will be a major push because of the connection to Brightline.

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

well, not really, right?  there is no money for phase 3, like the Deland station, but that article is suggesting that there will be a major push because of the connection to Brightline.

It will be easier to get federal aid money with the OIA link than Deland. The projected ridership increase would be way larger for the OIA link.

Anywahs, I thought you were referring to whether it was a plan that many were pushing for.  Many were pushing for DeLand as well, but the ridership projections weren’t large enough to get the necessary federal aid.

21 hours ago, WAJAS98 said:

It will be easier to get federal aid money with the OIA link than Deland. The projected ridership increase would be way larger for the OIA link.

Anywahs, I thought you were referring to whether it was a plan that many were pushing for.  Many were pushing for DeLand as well, but the ridership projections weren’t large enough to get the necessary federal aid.

I was just commenting on that recent article, and not on anything else that’s been discussed on these boards prior to it’s publication.

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2018 at 3:08 AM, shardoon said:

Looks like spirit airlines is turning OIA into a full fledged hub. Tons of Caribbean and Latin America flight being added monthly. All I want is a direct St Maarten flight and I'll be set. Fingers crossed.

The growth of Frontier, Southwest, and Spirit is definitely a huge positive factor for MCO. Just a few years back it appeared we would never justify hub status but all the Latin America flights for the low cost airlines are changing that equation and fast.  Spirit and Frontier seem determined to be our #1. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HankStrong said:

I don't know about Spirit, given how insanely tight that landing is at Princess Juliana I'd kind of like a better airline, but a direct flight would be awesome.

I have lived on that island a few years back in the early 2000s. They routinely had 747-400s land there, so a A320 on spirit should be a breeze.  

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:08 AM, shardoon said:

Looks like spirit airlines is turning OIA into a full fledged hub. Tons of Caribbean and Latin America flight being added monthly. All I want is a direct St Maarten flight and I'll be set. Fingers crossed.

this would explain why OIA gave them gates at the new South Terminal...hub status versus just a new international route or routes.  

• 1 month later...

Our monthly update on passenger counts................ 

Calendar year through Nov up to 47,362,900

Increase in 400k over the past month. 

3 million more passengers over the past year.

The airport originally projected passing 47 million passengers this year. At this rate, there is an outside chance that we approach or breach 48 million for 2018 after tabulating the traffic heavy Dec holiday month. 

We should fly by 50 million passengers by the Summer.  Might as well just move the cranes from phase to phase on the terminal C. Does anybody know how many phases need to be built before they start building the sky train at the terminal? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shardoon said:

The airport originally projected passing 47 million passengers this year. At this rate, there is an outside chance that we approach or breach 48 million for 2018 after tabulating the traffic heavy Dec holiday month. 

We should fly by 50 million passengers by the Summer.  Might as well just move the cranes from phase to phase on the terminal C. Does anybody know how many phases need to be built before they start building the sky train at the terminal? 

3 phases.  IIRC Phases 1 and 2 will happen in short order.  I don't know about Phase 3.  I was told Phase 4-6 will be not in my lifetime.

On 1/4/2019 at 2:57 PM, shardoon said:

Where can we reference this info?  I think when MCO was at 44M it was on the heels of passing the next two airports ahead of it.

41 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Where can we reference this info?  I think when MCO was at 44M it was on the heels of passing the next two airports ahead of it.

The number quoted appears to be total passenger traffic and the latest comparable Wiki numbers seem to be from 2016. By that standard, OIA had grown 8% (placing it at #13) while the next 2 airports above it, Phoenix and Charlotte, were both declining. The airport above them, MIA, grew by only 0.5% in the 2016 report.

Based on that, OIA will likely jump above all three (keep in mind, past performance is no guarantee of future gains). Number 9, SEA-TAC, also grew by 8% so we likely won’t pass them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_busiest_airports_in_the_United_States

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, jrs2 said:

https://orlandoairports.net/about-us/#traffic-statistics

They have all the monthly figures for the past year in pdf format. I also made an error, this was 12 month rolling, which will be calendar year pretty quickly once December figures are released in a few weeks. 

Edited by shardoon
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The number quoted appears to be total passenger traffic and the latest comparable Wiki numbers seem to be from 2016. By that standard, OIA had grown 8% (placing it at #13) while the next 2 airports above it, Phoenix and Charlotte, were both declining. The airport above them, MIA, grew by only 0.5% in the 2016 report.

Based on that, OIA will likely jump above all three (keep in mind, past performance is no guarantee of future gains). Number 9, SEA-TAC, also grew by 8% so we likely won’t pass them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_busiest_airports_in_the_United_States

that's what I was wondering about... SEA-TAC;

I think No.8 was McCarren.  So, we'll jump Charlotte and still stay ahead of Miami (unless Miami grew by like 9% during that span (which I don't think t did).  It's funny...Port Canaveral jumps Port of Miami in 2012 or so as world's busiest port, then, a week later, Port of Miami releases info that they mysteriously forgot to count the passengers of a cruise, maybe like 1500 passengers or so, and that was all they needed to jump back ahead of PC.  When OIA last bested MIA, the following year, MIA's passenger traffic increased by like 2-3M, just like that, and they stayed ahead of MCO for like 5 years, until last year.  I'm curious to see their numbers.

2 hours ago, shardoon said:

https://orlandoairports.net/about-us/#traffic-statistics

They have all the monthly figures for the past year in pdf format. I also made an error, this was 12 month rolling, which will be calendar year pretty quickly once December figures are released in a few weeks. 

oh.  that's what I thought you said anyway... thx.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 6:37 PM, shardoon said:

Miami numbers are out. Orlando is running away with it.  For 2018, Miami was 45.044 million passengers. So Orlando built a 2.5 million passenger advantage, and I only think it will continue to grow. 

http://www.miami-airport.com/library/pdfdoc/Monthly Traffic Reports/December 2018 Monthly Calendar Yr Traffic Report.pdf

this is just amazing.  MCO was growing and they 911 happened and derailed the expansion and stunted new growth for years.  Then, MCO became No.1 for a minute, then MIA surpassed it by like a million plus the following year; then a few years passed and traffic has increased to the point where MCO is that much busier than MIA and has jumped several other airports in the process.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jrs2 said:

this is just amazing.  MCO was growing and they 911 happened and derailed the expansion and stunted new growth for years.  Then, MCO became No.1 for a minute, then MIA surpassed it by like a million plus the following year; then a few years passed and traffic has increased to the point where MCO is that much busier than MIA and has jumped several other airports in the process.

Something to note, MCO is a lot closer to McCarren in Vegas that one would think. I was reviewing the numbers and Vegas counts corporate general aviation in their official numbers. They break it down and it is well over a million passengers. Obviously, Vegas takes on a lot of corporate private jets, however, these passengers never hit the true passenger terminals. I do not think they should be counted....... but they are. So airport passenger totals are not an apples to apple comparison. OIA does have private aviation, however, they are not counted in the totals. OIA totals are strictly from Airside 1, 2, 3, and 4. 

https://www.mccarran.com/Business/Statistics?id=7429

Edited by shardoon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shardoon said:

Something to note, MCO is a lot closer to McCarren in Vegas that one would think. I was reviewing the numbers and Vegas counts corporate general aviation in their official numbers. They break it down and it is well over a million passengers. Obviously, Vegas takes on a lot of corporate private jets, however, these passengers never hit the true passenger terminals. I do not think they should be counted....... but they are. So airport passenger totals are not an apples to apple comparison. OIA does have private aviation, however, they are not counted in the totals. OIA totals are strictly from Airside 1, 2, 3, and 4. 

https://www.mccarran.com/Business/Statistics?id=7429

Ooooh, great find. 

They are fudging their numbers with General Aviation.  Tisk, tisk.

Wow.  I mean, with that logic, DAB is one of the busiest airports around because of all the  activity from Embry Riddle.