Metro Orlando Airport News

bic

17 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Same thing happened to Memphis. That airport is a now a ghost town and has affected the local economy quite a bit. 

Go back a bit more and the same thing has happened to many cities Like St. Louis (old TWA hub) and Kansas City. 

IMO, we clearly benefit from not being a hub city. More competition, better prices, and we don’t have all our eggs in one basket.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, orlandoguy said:

What happened at CVG?

As someone who lived in the area (Indianapolis, Columbus, and Cincinnati specifically at various points in my younger life) it was the weirdest thing to live in.

Depending on my current home at the time, I would often fly in/out of many of the local airports.  The odd part is that I never flew out of CVG.  Even when I lived in downtown Cincinnati for a brief time and I would fly in/out of CMH (Columbus, OH), IND (Indianapolis, IN), SDF (Louisville, KY)LEX (Lexington, KY), or DAY (Dayton, OH).  When I lived in the other places I'd add FWA (Fort Wayne, IN), or as a last resort CLE (Cleveland, OH) to the mix.

Delta had a stranglehold on CVG.  There were several times where I had to leave from one of the other airports, have a layover in CVG, and then go to my destination.  When I would be dropped off at one of the other airports instead of parking there, I'd often just not take my final leg and call a cab or friend from CVG.  They call that Hidden City Ticketing* now, but back then it was just a time saver.  They didn't really have the ability to track it back in those days.  Today, several airlines are cracking down on it, including Lufthansa who is suing** some guy for it.  I think gaming the system that games me AT EVERY SINGLE OPPORTUNITY is a good thing.

I've flown into CVG and it is a shell of what it used to be.

Annual passenger traffic:

• 1992 - 11.5M
  • 1993 - 12.2M
  • 1994 - 13.6M
  • 1995 - 15.2M
  • 1996 - 18.8M
  • 1997 - 19.9M
  • 1998 - 21.1M
  • 1999 - 22.8M
  • 2000 - 22.4M
  • 2001 - 17.2M
  • 2002 - 20.8M
  • 2003 - 21.2M
  • 2004 - 22.0M
  • 2005 - 22.8M
  • 2006 - 16.2M
  • 2007 - 15.8M
  • 2008 - 13.6M
  • 2009 - 10.6M
  • 2010 - 8.0M
  • 2011 - 7.0M
  • 2012 - 6.0M
  • 2013 - 5.7M
  • 2014 - 5.9M
  • 2015 - 6.3M
  • 2016 - 6.8M
  • 2017 - 7.8M
  • 2018 - 8.9M

*https://scottscheapflights.com/guides/what-you-need-to-know-about-hidden-city-ticketing

https://skiplagged.com/

**https://www.npr.org/2019/02/13/694352593/lufthansa-airlines-sues-customer-who-skipped-part-of-his-return-flight

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-tips/hidden-city-ticketing-consequences

https://thepointsguy.com/news/hidden-city-ticket-crackdown/

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

screw the Magic.  This is a good subject to focus on instead.

Wow.  that's pretty sharp looking.  the stats in the article are way out of date, as we know.

So they plan on adding the next phase of 19 gates as soon as this phase is complete, huh?  I saw the line at TSA on the old side at MCO on Monday and I was mortified.  It stretched all the way to the food court on both sides. 

MCO desperately needs an additional landside terminal, and now it will have it.

On 1/9/2020 at 3:52 PM, jrs2 said:

So they plan on adding the next phase of 19 gates as soon as this phase is complete, huh?

Not quite - the line "OIA officials said there will be 19 more gates after the completion of phase one" should be read as "Phase one of the project will bring an additional 19 gates."

• Like 1

21 hours ago, shardoon said:

Through Nov 2019, 12 month rolling increased to just shy of 50.3 million. Strangely, international traffic dropped 4.47 percent for the month. I guess we relied heavily on Thomas Cook and it doesn't look like any of the other UK carriers have picked up the slack. 

was TC a discount carrier?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

I'm glad, but I disagree.  There's a lot of things that still need to get fixed in Terminals A & B.   When the TSA area gets completed opposite the Hyatt side, it will be much better.  Then, they really do need to tile the baggage claim level and ditch the carpeting.  It looks like crap and you can't roll wheeled luggage easily on the carpet.

Also, the entrance ramps that go from the loop to Rental/ Arrivals/ Departures really needs to be widened.  Or, widen the loop and increase the number of lanes as you go around the final turn to B (if they can).  It's a cluster that opens up at the last second.

I need to work at GOAA.  I'll have a laundry list of stuff for them to do.  Here's another:  on the old side: replace the old anti-slip tiles with nice ones.  And, consider replacing the APM tubes with glass ones like at Airsides 2 & 4; it makes Airsides 1 & 3 look ghetto.  But that costs money.

The Hyatt side is still nice.  They are currently replacing carpeting in phases.

The food court is nice.  The renovations they did to Airsides 1 & 3 a few short years ago were nice, with the granite and skylights, BUT, the connecting hallway if you will between the gate spur and the central atrium of the airside at both 1 & 3 is insufficient; it is a low ceiling height carpeted (and sloping) eye sore.  There are six of those between the two airsides.  It creates a bad impression I believe.  The ceilings can't be more than 7' high.  Why so short?

O'Hare did it right.  When they revamped currently labeled Terminals 2 &3 where American flies out of, they retrofitted glass canopies to make it resemble the United Terminal (1).  It looks great.  I know GOAA did a little bit of that already, but they need to do more of that where probable.

• Like 1

Every time I have flown out of MCO since this was built, I park in that garage and take the APM to the terminal. Parking is great and the terminal is like a ghost-town and lets you have some peace before dealing with the TSA lines and chaos. 

I like the facilities  a lot and they are functionally designed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dcluley98 said:

...and they are functionally designed. 

So are toilets, maxi pads, and condoms.

As regards large civic projects that, beyond their function, represent the people who built them, perhaps there should be more to it than that.

Hmm.

So maybe the 15-years out-of-date 20-years ago design of the intermodal terminal is appropriate for Orlando after all.

Edited by Camillo Sitte

8 hours ago, Camillo Sitte said:

1987 here we com...err, here we are.   :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Camillo Sitte said:

As regards large civic projects that, beyond their function, represent the people who built them, perhaps there should be more to it than that.

Well, @Camillo Sitte does have a point. TBH the picture of the "new" terminal looks like a snapshot of an abandoned mall before demolition. I don't know why we have to choose between design or function -- especially when we have one of the busiest airports in the nation.

wJlucY0.gif.0dae50daf916df18a126df5da014

Having visited multiple times, I feel as though the facility itself is top notch and well designed, but the decor could be a little more modern. The color palette they used does look kind of 80s, but I think they did it to match the existing terminals. I would rather see more clean, white and crisp colors and whiter lighting. I think the lighting is a little orange/yellowy and they could have had better white daylight or LED light, but it depends on the time you are there and the photography obviously.  The photos I posted above are from the Contractor/Architect website when they had them professionally shot at the end of the project.  I really    like all the windows/glass, the skylights, the escalators, and the terrazzo. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2